“Never Will I stay there again”

Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
Newport News
“Never Will I stay there again”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The hotel is beautiful from the front, the lobby, etc... I have stayed in many Marriott hotels and love them so when I saw the Renaissance by Marriott I knew I was in for the best. Check in was smooth my problem arised when I got to the room. Such a big hotel like this and no microwave in the room. Geez I have stayed in super 8 hotels for a lot less in cost and had a microwave. Then one of the phones (night stand) didn't work. I needed to get some work done was going to tap into the wifi only to find it was 9.95 a day unless I come to the lobby. Who does that now.. it is very rare that you find a hotel or even a motel at that rate that does not offer free wfi in the rooms. I sat there wondering REALLY a nice hotel like this charging 10.00 a day to use wifi. It's a crying shame you can go to barnes and nobles, starbucks, even McDonalds and get wifi but can not get it in a nice hotel like this. The telephone was not an real issue for me but the wifi and the microwave was a deal breaker. Due to those two things I will not stay at this hotel again nor will I recommend it to friends. Int he world we in now wifi is just like oxygen. I was on called so at 1am I had to lug my laptop downstairs to troubleshoot an issue at my job when I could have stayed in my comfy room and work if wifi was offered. IT WAS A DEAL BREAKER!!!!!!! :-(

Room Tip: I was in room 1522 and great view!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Ren_Portsmouth, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for trying the Renaissance Portsmouth/Norfolk Waterfront Hotel during your stay. I apologize that you did not see the value as you see in other hotels and establishments. Renaissance hotels are quite different from Super 8s, being they are a full service hotel. Each brand is different and have different amenities and standards; such as internet and microwaves. It is all dependant on the customer's preference and experience they are looking for. Thank you for trying the Renaissance brand.

I am happy to read that you found the hotel lobby to be beautiful and your check-in process to be smooth. Again, I thank you for trying our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The restaurant manager went out of his way to accommodate our office for a retirement party. He arranged for us to have the entire restaurant for that evening, even the parking was arranged. The food was superb, cooked perfectly. I would not hesitate having another celebration at the Foggy Point Restaurant. It is not often that service is rendered so readily and pleasantly anymore. I look forward to my next visit. Thank you Mr. Duffy.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
First and foremost....Congratulations again!! and of course thank you for the oppurtunity to host your retirement party with us. Special occasions bring out the best in our Restaurant and Culinary team. Keith and his staff have been congratulated based on your kind comments!!! Thank you for the recognition, it means alot to us.

Please come back and dine with us when you are in the neighborhood.
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for business The week of October 21. This hotel is across the River from Norfolk, VA. The hotel was clean and elegant and the staff extremely helpful. Despite the Navy shipyard construction across the river the hotel was pretty soundproof.if you have AAA make sure to tell them when checking in as they give a discount. I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel.
As a side note there is a water taxi stop right outside the hotel that will take you across the river to Norfolk for just a couple of bucks.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dave L
Thank you for your kind review. I am glad you had an opportunity to hop on the paddlewheel ferry next door, it is indeed a convenient way to travel into Norfolk and explore. We look forward to seeing you again at the Renaisance Portsmouth/Norfolk Hotel.

Jeff Corcoran
Nashville
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed at the Renaissance Portsmouth for our son's wedding weekend. We also had the rehearsal dinner in the round room on the second floor. Food was out of this world. Service was excellent. We stayed in the hotel for four days and it was wonderful. All rooms have a water view. Most of the wedding guest also stayed there too. Only heard great things about the stay.
I will defiantly stay there again.

Room Tip: Junior suite was really nice and quiet. We had a king bed and it was really comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your stay at the Renaissance Portsmouth/Norfolk Hotel. It is our pleasure to have wedding party as our guests . I am very happy that we not only met, but exceeded your expectations. That is what we strive to do with each guest and each wedding. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I will share your comments with our Catering, Banquets, and Culinary team.

Please come back and see us!!!
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I had previously written a review about my expectations for a visit to this Renaissance property, but when I went to update the review I found I would need to withdraw the first posting to update it. – The initial post is below, followed by the update:

(Initial Posting under Expectations) - Will be attending a family reunion based at this property this coming weekend. Thus far, we have been pleased with the attention we have received from the staff, especially regarding the adjoining rooms we have requested so that we can share baby watching duties with the parents of our grand daughter. As a lifetime Gold member, I have requested an upper floor location with a river view - I'll let you know how we made out. I'm a little concerned about some of the issues addressed in previous reviews, especially the cleanliness issues. I will be taking note of some of the concerns and report back.

UPDATE:
The hotel let me down in any of a number of ways, but try as I might; I was not able to hate this location. The first let down was the adjoining rooms, which we had confirmed as recently as the day before our arrival. At first, they apologized profusely, but the hotel was very full for the weekend and nothing could be done. We ended up on the top floor (floor 17), water side, in two very nice but separated rooms with an occupied room in between. As others have posted, the views are fantastic but we wanted the adjoining rooms to share baby sitting duties for our 21 month old grand daughter. We had dinner with 25 other family members in the Foggy Bottom restaurant at the hotel – we had a separate little area for our group, the service was admirable for such a large group ordering a la carte and while the food was nothing spectacular, there were some hits and we were all well satisfied. The prices were a little high (especially the drinks), but I felt we received good value for the price and our server was a real trooper.

The next morning, we had the buffet breakfast, and if you are a big breakfast eater, you could certainly get your money’s worth at the well presented buffet. I ordered off of the menu and that was probably a mistake (the buffet plates looked much better). My biggest issue was the cheese grits – the grits from the buffet looked fine but my plate from the kitchen was very runny – inedible actually which was too bad since I enjoy this dish whenever I’m in the southern part of the country.

We spent the morning at the Children’s Museum in Portsmouth – great family place – I’ll have to do a separate review and then had lunch downtown at the New York Deli – not as big of a hit but it was fine(Katz's Deli it's not). We returned to the hotel so the little one could nap, but the second let down appeared, our daughter and son-in-law’s room wasn’t made up (at 2:30 PM!) Down to the front desk I went, they once again apologized and would have it resolved immediately. Oh, by the way, they had been trying to reach me they said, and to make up for not meeting our adjoining rooms request, they wanted us to move into the Presidential Suite. That was a nice gesture and we certainly appreciated it, but since we were checking out the next morning, we didn’t want to have to pack up and move for just the one night, but it was a nice thing to offer us.

The final disappointment was the next morning at breakfast – we again met with family for the buffet, had a very nice breakfast, paid the bill and started to say our goodbyes. One of my brothers asked why I paid for the breakfast – didn’t I get the coupons for being an Elite Marriott member? What coupons? No one had offered us coupons. Back to the front desk – the woman at the desk also happened to be the night auditor and when I related my concerns to her, she at first apologized, and then she took care of it. Redid our bill from the previous morning and promised to track down the Amex bill for this morning’s breakfast and cancel that. Fantastic (wish I had written down her name, she was super nice and very efficient).

So, the summary of this long review – they are not perfect and, perhaps, had to apologize too often, but in the end they did try to make things right and they pretty much succeeded. It’s a very nice property (we did not find the walks overwhelming, cleanliness was not an issue, and the location is terrific) and despite the rain all weekend, the two weddings on Saturday, and the what seemed like 1,000 partiers from the local high school’s 100th anniversary celebration (the place was packed all weekend), we would recommend this hotel. I’m sure we’ll be back some day to visit relatives in the Tidewater area and I would not hesitate to book here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your repost and for the candid feedback. We apologize for the hiccups and inconveniences that you faced within your stay. However, I am happy to know that your overall impression of the hotel was positive. Our staff takes pride in the hotel and the level of service that we provide, and always try to find quick resolution to guest concerns. We would be delighted to have you and your family back as our guests and exceed your expectations for the next time.

Thank you.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Recently visited the Renaissance Portsmouth for business. The auditorium where I taught in was the perfect setting for us. Small enough to be cozy but large enough to hold us and our equipment.

The staff couldn't do enough for us. Need a trash can - no problem. Need it cooler - no problem. Our lunch was tasty and the afternoon snacks of popcorn and pretzels were tasty and fun.

Loved the view of the harbor, the battle ships and the barge traffic.

Since it was raining couldn't enjoy the walkway outside.

Room Tip: Ask for high room with a view of the river
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your review on Trip Advisor. We are proud to offer such versatile banquet and meeting space. I am glad our staff was able make your teaching course a seamless one.

We appreciate you as our guest and hope to see you during your next course.
Powhatan, Virginia
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We have stayed at the Renaissance Portsmouth three times in the last two years. Once was to attend the opera at the Harrison Opera House in Norfolk, another time to celebrate a wedding anniversary and a third time, just for a romantic get-away. We were shocked by the negative reviews and found it hard to believe they were talking about the same property. The hotel is modern, elegant and tastefully decorated. The views are spectacular. The staff were all extremely polite, friendly, and helpful. I once saw the hotel representative deal with a very difficult guest in front of us in a very professional manner and when it was our turn, she had a warm smile for us despite the obviously stressful situation.

The Sunday brunch buffet in the Foggy Point Grill was delicious and beautiful presented. The ladies who work in the concierge lounge are so sweet and thoughtful and the hot hors' d'oeuvres and desserts are such a nice touch! The views from the concierge lounge are also spectacular.

I must add that the entry to the hotel is lovely with the views on one side and the historic photo gallery on the other. The garage is attached to the hotel and very secure. We actually enjoy the walk and often stop to take a closer look at the photos. They have even given us ideas of places to visit.

I am especially grateful that they always remember to avoid the feather pillows in my room due to my asthma. I often have difficulty with that at other hotels and it results in a lost hour as they prepare the room again or move us to another, sometimes making us run late to an evening event. At the Portsmouth Renaissance, it is ALWAYS right! I have severe asthma and never have trouble here. The rooms are so clean and well-maintained.

When life gets stressful, we start thinking it's time to go back to "our" Renaissance! Thank you all for the three wonderful stays we have enjoyed with you!!

Room Tip: All three rooms we had were great. One side faces directly on the river, the other faces upriver and...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel and for spending such momentous occaissions with us. The staff and I are so happy that we can provide a relaxing getaway for you.

We are so grateful to have you as our guests. Hope to see you soon.

Jeff Corcoran
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Norfolk Waterside Marriott
Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
Comfort Inn Olde Town
Comfort Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!