“Overall nice stay”

Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We liked the staff who were helpful and interested in making our stay a pleasant experience.

Our king sized bed was comfortable, the room clean, plenty of hot water, small frig, lots of electrical outlets, and nice view of river. The bathroom was showing some wear.

The soundproofing was disappointing--hearing the neighbors' toilets and late night bed romp through the wall despite there being hardly any guests over the holiday woke us both up repeatedly--and my husband is not a light sleeper. I turned on the fan to try to create white noise, but it added a high pitched whine, so not particularly soothing.

We don't usually do breakfast buffet, but we were late getting up after the sleep interruptions, so it was more like brunch and the price off the menu would add up quickly to $16, so we both got the buffet. Lots of fresh fruit, hot foods, and you could order small waffle or omelet. Only the sausage was too greasy and the scrambled eggs past their prime. All in all we found plenty to eat.

It definitely feels like a conference hotel with very high ceilings and wide hallways outside the meeting rooms. Not cozy in the common areas for wifi and a little cold from a draft and the high ceilings.

I tried to bid for a discount via Priceline, but no luck so went with AAA.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Maxwell D, Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you for selecting our hotel and for taking time to tell us about your stay. We sincerely appreciate your kind comments about our gorgeous views and Grand Lobby Entrance. Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Would stay here again and highly recommend. We were in the area to visit family for thanksgiving and really enjoyed our stay. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean. I got food poision not from here but on my way up from Florida. Was very sick and the staff was very kind and changed out my sheets and trash can several times through the night. So greatful to very kind staff. Hope my next stay with them is on better circumstances.

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for taking time to write a review about the Portsmouth Renaissance. Our mission is to provide an Excellent stay for all of our guests. We value your feedback and are always looking at ways in which we can improve. We look forward to seeing you again and provide a fantastic stay for you.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at this property twice during the same week. Renaissance is different from the homogeneous parent company Marriott in that the experience can be quite different from place to place. In most cases I mean this in a positive way. This Renaissance was quite a special place. Nice rooms with great views. The featured view which I had on my second visit is across the river toward downtown Norfolk. However I preferred the other view which was across the river toward the Navy Yard. Just a couple of hundred yards away was a monster aircraft carrier in for service.

To me one of the overrated pleasures is room service. Here, however, I had one of the best room service experiences. Delightful food served hot and fresh.

I would also like to mention the special follow up work by Assistant Manager Mike Seigneur. And there were also some special touches in the room provided by housekeeping's Thelma.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one of the two river views.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank David C

Thank You so much for your kind words your response is valued. I am glad that we were able to meet your expectaions here at the Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel.Safe Travels and Happy Holidays.

Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

We were very pleased with this selection from priceline.com. Be mindful that parking is $10, but they gave us permission to our car in our space after checkout (there's lots of shopping and eating to do on High Street). Tip: use the elevator (the stairs are emergency exit only). But checkout is 12 noon. Woohoo!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JCKimmer
Ren_Portsmouth, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Thanks for the great review. We know you have a choice in travel and appreciate you as our guest. Glad you had a chance to walk down high street. We recommend the restaurant STILL for your return trip. Thanks again!!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed there on Saturday night. The hotel lobby is huge. The hotel has totally been remodeled. The room was clean, comfortable with a beautiful view of the Elizabeth River. I used the fitness center and it was very, very, nice. We will come back for a weekend getaway.

Room Tip: Rather than stay in downtown Norfolk, stay here and take the ferry across.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 November 2013

The hotel is beautiful from the front, the lobby, etc... I have stayed in many Marriott hotels and love them so when I saw the Renaissance by Marriott I knew I was in for the best. Check in was smooth my problem arised when I got to the room. Such a big hotel like this and no microwave in the room. Geez I have stayed in super 8 hotels for a lot less in cost and had a microwave. Then one of the phones (night stand) didn't work. I needed to get some work done was going to tap into the wifi only to find it was 9.95 a day unless I come to the lobby. Who does that now.. it is very rare that you find a hotel or even a motel at that rate that does not offer free wfi in the rooms. I sat there wondering REALLY a nice hotel like this charging 10.00 a day to use wifi. It's a crying shame you can go to barnes and nobles, starbucks, even McDonalds and get wifi but can not get it in a nice hotel like this. The telephone was not an real issue for me but the wifi and the microwave was a deal breaker. Due to those two things I will not stay at this hotel again nor will I recommend it to friends. Int he world we in now wifi is just like oxygen. I was on called so at 1am I had to lug my laptop downstairs to troubleshoot an issue at my job when I could have stayed in my comfy room and work if wifi was offered. IT WAS A DEAL BREAKER!!!!!!! :-(

Room Tip: I was in room 1522 and great view!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Ren_Portsmouth, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you for trying the Renaissance Portsmouth/Norfolk Waterfront Hotel during your stay. I apologize that you did not see the value as you see in other hotels and establishments. Renaissance hotels are quite different from Super 8s, being they are a full service hotel. Each brand is different and have different amenities and standards; such as internet and microwaves. It is all dependant on the customer's preference and experience they are looking for. Thank you for trying the Renaissance brand.

I am happy to read that you found the hotel lobby to be beautiful and your check-in process to be smooth. Again, I thank you for trying our hotel.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

The restaurant manager went out of his way to accommodate our office for a retirement party. He arranged for us to have the entire restaurant for that evening, even the parking was arranged. The food was superb, cooked perfectly. I would not hesitate having another celebration at the Foggy Point Restaurant. It is not often that service is rendered so readily and pleasantly anymore. I look forward to my next visit. Thank you Mr. Duffy.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

First and foremost....Congratulations again!! and of course thank you for the oppurtunity to host your retirement party with us. Special occasions bring out the best in our Restaurant and Culinary team. Keith and his staff have been congratulated based on your kind comments!!! Thank you for the recognition, it means alot to us.

Please come back and dine with us when you are in the neighborhood.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Hilton Norfolk the Main
Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown
Quality Inn Olde Town
Quality Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!