“Nice hotel for Business travelers”

Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is nicely decorated and on the water in Portsmouth with good views from upper rooms. Staff was friendly. Only downside was bathroom plumbing (sink&tub) we're very slow to drain.
This hotel is better for business travelers rather than families as there is not much for kids to do around the hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts via Tripadvisor. Regarding things for families to do nearby, we have a number of museums that mom and dad can take their little ones. The Historic Naval shipyard museum and the largest interactive children's museum are all within walking distance of the hotel. Please let me know the next time you visit Portsmouth so I may personally introduce myself.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I am currently attending a conference here and I can say that from the restaurant staff to the food and beverage staff to the front desk staff, each and every interaction is friendly, efficient, and professional. Kudos to you all and to your managers.

Thank you for a great stay and great service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I communicated with our Hotel staff about your wonderful experience. Hope you will select us on your next visit to Portsmouth. Enjoy the rest of your Holiday weekend!!

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

The views from our room were very pretty. We were in a room ending 25 and could see all the ships!

Amenities in the room are Aveda which was really nice! We lost our room key and the agent who made the replacement didn't even ask for an ID. The furniture was rather old, worn, and out dated. It was the first time in a while for me to see a bed that you could actually loose stuff under. Typically the beds are on a solid block. I think the rooms really need a make over. As a positive, the ac was great and there was always hot water. The lobby was modern and clean. Appreciated the complimentary water and oranges.

It was a nice weekend overall.

Stayed: May 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our hotel. The water and oranges are one of our welcome delighters. Regarding the worn furniture, Im pleased to inform you that we installed new upholstery. Next time you visit, please do not hestitate to let me know!!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I had a very wonderful stay, all the staffs were very a tentative and amazing. I felt welcome from the time I walked into the front door, until I checked out. I will definitely be back whenever I am in the area again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

We cannot thank you enough for the wonderful words expressed in your Review. As a member of the marriott brand, we strive for flawless service execution. Please let me know when you plan to return, so i may have the pleasure of meeting you. Enjoy the upcoming Holiday weekend!!

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Our stay at tge renaissance was great. The view was beautiful. We were able to sit outside, enjoy a cocktail and watch the boats sailing by. Our rooms were clean, the breakfast buffet had a great selection and you cannot beat the service.

• Stayed: May 2014

I’m Darnell Smith, Front Office Manager at the Renaissance Portsmouth Waterfront Hotel. On behalf of Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel management and staff, thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay. Watching the large ships pass by the hotel is simply fascinating!! Next time you visit Portsmouth, please do not hesitate to let me know!!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My husband and I stayed t this Marriott last week for. Two night stay while we attended a Coast Guard change of command and retirement ceremony. Both ceremonies were held at the nTelos Center so this was an ideal location for us. The hotel is very nice, large atrium and lobby with a bar/lounge and restaurant in the lobby area. There was always one of three elevators waiting on the main level to take us upstairs! Our room was located on the third floor, in a corner but what lovely view from the window. We were waterfront overlooking the Elizabeth River and Naval Shipyard where two boats were in dry dock. We had dinner and drinks in the lounge are and the food was delicious, the wait staff attentive and helpful with daily specials. The room was spacious, the bed just right enough pillows and Aveda Toiletries along with plush Snow White towels. Lovely! Parking was a breeze in the attached garage. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and a menu was also available for the morning meal. Everyone was polite and friendly. As mentioned the location was perfect for our social needs. I would most definitely stay here and recommend this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

I’m Darnell Smith, Front Office Manager at the Renaissance Portsmouth Waterfront Hotel. On behalf of Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel management and staff, thank you very much for sharing you experience at our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed the wonderful views and service that is expected with our Renaissance brand. Look forward to personally meeting you on your return trip to our hotel!!!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I HAD A TOUR GROUP IN HERE, 40 people, over Azalea Festival weekend - I chose it for it seemed the most affordable of the really upscale Norfolk/Porstmouth hotels, the central location, and the views. I WAS DELIGHTED. the group sales department was very friendly and competent. I confirm everything many times and all went perfectly. The hotel is lovely and clean, the staff super-friendly and attentive and well dressed, the public areas grand and inviting, the front desk very polite and helpful, the breakfast buffet was a huge hit with my group members and i found the food excellent and vairied - and a view of the navy yard from the windows. The room was beautiful and CLEAN, the maid service was prompt and excellent. View from the room spectacular. I have owned a tour company since 1980, and stayed in many hotels, and have had all sorts of experiences in them - from fabulous to disasters, as you may imagine. This place was great and I certainly would look forward to a return there with a group. I got no complants anything - not of the distance from the front entrance to the desk and on to the dining room and then elevators from my very elderly folks. The elevators, by the way, are amazingly punctual - no long waits as in many high-rise hotels. There was a free web/access computer with a large screen in the lobby that i used frequently, and there is free wifi from the very comfortable lobby (someone in my group said that they got free wifi in their room by chosing "lobby" from the wifi menu when they were in their room, but I don't know about that for sure). I read all of the bad reviews of this p[lace as I aleays do, and I would't pay any attention to them - some hic cups in the maid service I guess and those other issues mentioned certainly were not in evidence when I was here in April ('14). All of the construction problems vis a vis the access to Norfolk are FINISHED and, no, there are no tolls on that tunnel. The hotel is steps away from beautiful historic Olde Towne Portsmouth and right on the Elizabeth River Esplanade with spectacular views of the Norfolk skyline and the Portwsmouth Navy Yard for pleasant strolls. I recommend the Cafe Europa in center Portsmouth for a great high-end dinner.

Room Tip: ask for a room high up on the north side of the tower