Let's start from the entrance, or rather the entrance hall. The architect of this building must have been on crack, and I am not talking concrete. You have to walk a couple of hundred yards from the entrance before you make the turn into the lobby. Once checked in, it was another 100+ yards to the elevators.
We were staying on points (lifetime Gold Member) over Memorial Day weekend, and asked if the room had a nice view. "Oh yes, it overlooks the Norfolk skyline." Well, after a fashion. 75% of the rooms overlook the harbor. Our room (in the 25% group) overlooks a dry dock, if you climbed over the divan blocking the window.
The carpenters did a great job installing the plumbing fixtures. Rust behind the toilet, and the tub didn't drain. The next day, we called for our room to be cleaned before we returned 1.5 hours later in the morning. Not. Called again when we left for the afternoon, only to return to find a pillow laying on the foot of the bed and no coffee packages left in the room. The ice bucket was left half full of water from the previous day's ice. No gratuity for this staff.
The concierge lounge staff on Monday were under-supplied or overwhelmed by the half dozen patrons, running out of silverware and no bowls to eat cereal. Newspapers? No. Checked lobby... "if we have any they would be over there in the business center." No sign of a paper.
Back to structure: The hotel's parking garage is actually a city garage and connected only in proximity to the hotel. On the plus side, we were not charged the $10/day for parking the clerk had told us about.
This hotel doesn't live up to Marriott Renaissance standards.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blending traditional elegance and modern style, our waterside Norfolk, VA area hotel in the historic downtown district of Olde Towne Portsmouth provides calming comfort and soothing relaxation. The Renaissance Portsmouth hotel boasts a hip location overlooking the vibrant, revitalized waterfront and offers stunning views of the Elizabeth River. Set above the harbor, the Portsmouth Ballroom's unique outdoor terrace, part of the 24,000 square feet of Norfolk area hotel meeting space, provides a stunning reception area sure to draw rave reviews from your guests. This updated luxurious Norfolk, Virginia area hotel also features 23 meeting rooms including a 70-seat Amphitheater. Savor the atmosphere of this waterside hotel in Portsmouth at Foggy Point Bar & Grill, presenting a selection of fresh seafood. Visitors to the area can enjoy the unique experience of taking the nearby water taxi across to many of the Norfolk business and visitor destinations including the Norfolk Naval facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Marriott, Odigeo, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel And Waterfront Conference Center
- Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel & Waterfront Portsmouth