Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
“nice service”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This hotel is in a great location and the frontbdesk manager has excellent customerbservice skills. If only some of hisbstaff would take lessons from him. He is the front office manager and hebis a dedicated marriott manager.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us!! This information provided will allow me to develop my staff to execute flawless customer service. Look forward to seeing you again on your return trip!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel while in Portsmouth on business in room 912. For a Renaissance I really expected more. The view was unique. You have to pay 12.95 per day for internet. You pay 10.00 for self parking. If you choose room service you will have to pay a 20 percent service charge. The tub in my room was clogged. The room seemed a little tired and could use some updates, however it was clean. Would I choose this hotel if I were visiting this area for leisure travel probably not. I ate at a nearby seafood restaurant named 757 Crave (within walking distance). It was good. The customer service, entertainment and view at the hotel were wonderful.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NoRegrets1
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We couldnt agree more that your stay "should have been better." Please accept my sincerest apologies. I have notified our engineering team about the opportunities expressed in your room. If you are ever in Portsmouth again, please do not hesitate to contact me personally!!
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Upon arrival room not ready, had to wait on them to clean it. Had to kill time somewhere else until a phone call was made to say it was ready, which didn't come until 7:45 pm. Then found that the room had been rented to someone else, they put our friend in a room that had plumbing leaks and the floor was flooded and had standing water in it, rain leaking into his window. The hotel manager lied to us on several occasions, offered everything under the sun to try and make it right except a refund. We did eventually get the room refunded after we went thru steps ourselves with the booking expedia. I felt intimidated while there. did not feel safe, hated the entire experience would never stay here again, or anywhere near by.

Room Tip: don't stay anywhere in this area at all if you have a family, you will be deeply disappointed
Green Features: not up to par, the room in the lobby is nice all others are just terrible
5 Thank Christina m
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Christina m
In reading your comments, I can see that we fell short of giving you the experience that we truly believe is important, a great stay. I do not know why it took us so long to reach out to you that your room was ready but it was far past the time we commit to for check in. We are supposed to be better than that and I am sincerely sorry. I hope that you can forgive us for that mistake. I am aware that we did have a leak from a room located a couple of floors above your floor and did not realize that it had affected the room your friends occupied. I know that our team worked hard to get that resolved and I apologize that affected your stay with us. Again, I hope that you can forgive us and know that we are committed to giving our guests a great stay while they are away from home.
Thank you for your time and for your feedback. We do listen and we do take steps to make our operation better with the information we get from our guests.
Landover, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Just got back from a lovely weekend at this hotel. I went with several people for the Bayou & Cajun Festival in Norfolk. One of my traveling buddies suggested this hotel for us. The hotel was immaculate. When we walked in we couldn't believe that we were staying there. We stayed up on the 6th floor and we had a view of the navy shipyard. To get to the festival we use the water ferry which was only $1.50. You can buy a all day pass for the ferry for $3.50.

The room was spacious and the bed was soft, but my fiancée thought it was a little too soft. The front desk personnel was very courteous and whatever we needed they had no problem with helping us. Our bartender was Wendy our first night there and she was very great.

We will be staying again with them when we come next year for the festival

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vernique M
Thank you so much for sharing your review. We strive to ensure all guests experience the best in customer service. I am delighted to share this information with our hotel staff. Look forward to seeing you at next year's festival!!
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I have visited this hotel on two occasions while visiting my daughter who is in the Navy. The first time was in April where I went to buy coffee. I was told by some of the neighbors that I can get coffee there so my sister and I went in and we even got cookies to have with our free refills coffee. The hotel looks very clean and its situated next to the water. It's in an awesome location.Then in June my family and I was visiting my daughter who rents from the apartment building across the water from the renaissance hotel who didn't have a parking for our over sized vehicle so we went to Renaissance and spoke to the manager who was very helpful and offered us a spot at the hotels garage for free. I can say for sure, that hotel has a lot of friendly and courteous members and I will definitely stay there when I visit the next time. Thank you for all your help.

1 Thank Sherryann1970
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your great customer service experience with us!! We strive to delight both our internal and external guests (neighbors included). Look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to visit your daughter!!
Reviewed 17 June 2014

A very accommodating staff. Clean rooms. Average fitness center. Most rooms have great views. Walking distance of old town Portsmouth. The WIFI is fast. Only negative is the daily charge for parking. A good place for the business traveler.

Room Tip: The higher up, the better the view of the harbor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank travelkey888
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience!! We are delighted that your stay with the Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel was enjoyable. As a token of our appreciation, next time you visit Portsmouth, I will personally introduce myself and thank you.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Let's start from the entrance, or rather the entrance hall. The architect of this building must have been on crack, and I am not talking concrete. You have to walk a couple of hundred yards from the entrance before you make the turn into the lobby. Once checked in, it was another 100+ yards to the elevators.

We were staying on points (lifetime Gold Member) over Memorial Day weekend, and asked if the room had a nice view. "Oh yes, it overlooks the Norfolk skyline." Well, after a fashion. 75% of the rooms overlook the harbor. Our room (in the 25% group) overlooks a dry dock, if you climbed over the divan blocking the window.

The carpenters did a great job installing the plumbing fixtures. Rust behind the toilet, and the tub didn't drain. The next day, we called for our room to be cleaned before we returned 1.5 hours later in the morning. Not. Called again when we left for the afternoon, only to return to find a pillow laying on the foot of the bed and no coffee packages left in the room. The ice bucket was left half full of water from the previous day's ice. No gratuity for this staff.

The concierge lounge staff on Monday were under-supplied or overwhelmed by the half dozen patrons, running out of silverware and no bowls to eat cereal. Newspapers? No. Checked lobby... "if we have any they would be over there in the business center." No sign of a paper.

Back to structure: The hotel's parking garage is actually a city garage and connected only in proximity to the hotel. On the plus side, we were not charged the $10/day for parking the clerk had told us about.

This hotel doesn't live up to Marriott Renaissance standards.

Room Tip: Overlook the port, not the Norfolk skyline
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Mark W
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
On behalf of Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel management and staff, thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay. Would like to personally apologize for the opportunities missed as stated on your review. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations.
All the concerns addressed in your review were discussed with senior management today! Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Norfolk Waterside Marriott
#5 of 37 in Norfolk
Comfort Inn Olde Town
Comfort Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!