“Great location little pricey for what you get!”

Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 27 September 2010

This is a very nice hotel but I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a microwave or mini frig in the room. The location of this hotel is right on the water which makes for a very nice scenery during the day time and at night. The staff was very cordial and helpful with information about local attractions and services. There are plenty of places that you can walk to for lunch and dinner if you chose not to eat at the hotel. Overall a nice stay but besides the bed I had knowother place to sit in my room considereing the chairs that were in the room had white stains on them which grossed me out. This is fixeable and I hope the hotel will take care of that issue.

Reviewed 23 September 2010

I was a little apprehensive about staying at the Renaissance Portsmouth after reading many negative reviews. We booked this hotel because of the views and location and we were very pleased with our stay. Check-in was quick, customer service rep was polite, and the room was spotless (17th floor with excellent views!), thanks to Jodi Ann in housekeeping! Our meals at the hotel were great and the service was excellent! The bar and computer/common areas were also first rate! We are Marriott rewards members and are never disappointed with any Marriott property. Everyone at the hotel was also very friendly. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
MeganB-ExAsst-to-GM, Executive Assistant at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel & Waterfront Conference Center. Giving our guests an exceptional experience is what we strive for and with so many competitors out there, your comments made us feel really good. I have passed on your comments to the appropriate staff that took part in making your stay comfortable. We are truly pleased with your experience and we look forward to exceeding your expectations in the future. Thanks again!!

Reviewed 20 September 2010

I stayed here 9/17-9/19 for a wedding. Check-in was pretty quiet and the front desk was courteous. My room was on the 14th floor. The view was amazing. It faced the water and you could see the ferries and ships coming in. Beautiful.

Room was clean. Beds were very comfortable. I'm a sports lover and found it great that there were several ESPN channels on the TV. Our hall was pretty quiet.

Minor issues...We had trouble using the business center computers/printers to print a document containing images. We asked the front desk staff for aid and one young woman came over and tried to help. She told us that the system wasn't really her expertise. We appreciated her honesty and she went to get the "expert". The expert never came over even when there was no activity at the desk and actually sent the other woman back over with information instead of coming herself. The guidance didn't work and we ended up not being able to print the document at all. But we didn't move from the location for about 20 minutes before finally giving up and seeking alternative means. Not a big deal but it would have been nice if the business center were actually able to do the business at hand.

Food was amazing! The food for the wedding and in-room dining had everyone raving.

Overall, the hotel itself was wonderful. The front desk staff was helpful minus the one incident. I am planning on returning for another visit.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2010

This was my second stay at the Renaissance, which I chose over the Waterside Marriott because I think the location (views) and facility itself is just outstanding. However, on this stay there were lots of little problems that ruined what would have been an otherwise enjoyable stay. First, housekeeping failed to leave decaf coffee in the room and there were no tissues, resulting in my having a call the front desk a couple times to have these standard items delivered. Then, I discovered that the previous guest had disconnected several cords and cables on the TV (apparently to connect their own stuff) which left the TV inoperable. Although I tried reconnecting them, I still wasn't able to get the TV to work, so I ended up having to call the front desk twice to have the engineer come, waiting more than 30 minutes before he showed up. It was only after I called the second time and asked if I could be moved because I was tired of waiting that they finally sent him. So, it seems, that the combination of posts about the beauty of the property and the poor customer service are spot on. Just keep that in mind when/if you book here.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank romadaro
Reviewed 7 September 2010

My husband and I just celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary and we decided to stay at this hotel. When we first arrived, we were amazed at how beautiful it was. That was short lived. The lady at the fd treated us as if we should have know the answers to the questions we were asking! She worked there not us. I work in customer service as well, and the way she acted was inappropriate. But we didnt let that bother us. When we reached our room we were pleased. It was clean, comfortable, and the view was breath-taking. Later on at the restaurant the service sucked again, same thing at breakfast! Customer service is very important with any company. Maybe management should retrain there staff. NO place is too good to give outstanding service.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank tartis24
MeganB-ExAsst-to-GM, Executive Assistant at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2010

Dear Guest,
We would like to start off by congratulating you and your spouse on your 2nd Wedding Anniversary. We are very pleased that you chose our hotel for such an important event. Thank you for your great comments about our rooms and views. We do pride ourselves on our location and breathtaking views of the Elizabeth River and city skyline. We also pride ourselves on Customer Service and would like to apologize for the experience that you and your spouse had with our Front Desk and Restaurant staff. We take these comments seriously and welcome any feedback, especially when it comes to making improvements. We want nothing but the best for our guests and feeling comfortable and excited about your choice in hotels is very important. Please know that these comments were passed on to both Supervisors and will be brought to their staff's attention. Thank you again for choosing our hotel and we hope you will be back soon!

Reviewed 6 September 2010

I got this hotel on priceline name your price for less than I would expect to pay for a motel 6. It is three blocks from the Ntelos pavilion and they gave us a wonderful room on the 9th floor even though we arrived at 11pm after the concert! Fantastic views of the river and floor to ceiling windows. The beds were very comfortable, and all of the staff were really friendly. Great historic area to walk around but not that long of a drive to the beach. What a fun weekend.

Reviewed 26 August 2010

For the area its in its a good hotel.central and close to the navy hospital.however in general it needs a lot of improvement. internet costs and is very very slow.its not wireless either.the cleaning of the room is VERY bad.there were hair in the tub (had not even used it yet).the cleaning staff is bad!parking costs.you hear the other people in the other rooms as well. for the area its the best.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank t0309999
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Norfolk Waterside Marriott
Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
Comfort Inn Olde Town
Comfort Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!