This was my first visit to this property (and my last), as it started off on a bad note. I had made a reservation through my corporate web site for a nonsmoking room at this property. After checking in, I made my way up to my third floor room, the first thing that struck me when I got off the elevator was the heavy smell of cigarette smoke. When I made it to my room, I noticed that it was a "smoking" room, never opening the door. I returned to the front desk, thinking an error was made. I mentioned to the desk clerk that I had a reservation for a nonsmoking room (which I pulled up on my iPad). She mentioned that when certian corporate rates are assigned rooms, they assign them the rooms available, not what were booked. In addition, she mentioned that they had no nonsmoking rooms available. I was ready to walk out and find another hotel, but before leaving, I wanted to make sure I was not charged for the room, as I never even opened the door. She mentioned that since I "checked" in, I would be charged for the room. I replied that this was not the room I booked, and I was not going to pay for a room I was not satisfied with. She said she would have to "call and check" with her manager about not charging me. I replied that would be fine. She fumbled for a few minutes, and then found a "nonsmoking suite" that was availabe (strange??). Although not availabe at the same rate, I agreed to a $20 additional charge, just to have a room (end of a 12+ hour day).
Although the room (212) was more spacious than an average queen double, it was still tight. There was noise from all directions. Voices from either side, "big foot" from above, and from what I can best tell, rumbling from the "automatic doors" from the lobby below all evening long. Good news, no road noise (lol). The HVAC was no better. No continious fan mode, so it cut on and off all night ( a major grumph for me).
The possitives from my visit, the room was clean, and the room temp was ok. Wish I could say more.
I really hate giving a property such a low rating, but this was a most regretable visit. Although I travel through this area every week, I thought of trying this property again before a review, but I felt it was not worth the risk. There were too many errors made on the part of the hotel for me to consider another stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come enjoy the beautiful new Claypool Hill Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites located on US 460 & US 19. We are close to Fort Witten/Crab Orchard Museum, Southwest VA Community College, Richlands, and Grundy. Enjoy one of our mountain view rooms. We offer spacious King and queen double bedding along with 17 suites. Our feature king suite offers fireplace & hot tub. All suites have wet bar w/microwave, Refrigerator & sofa sleeper. All rooms have hairdryer, iron/board, coffee makers, speakerphones w/voice mail and high speed Internet access. Relax and unwind in our indoor pool, whirlpool. (Pool and whirlpool closed due to renovations) or exercise room featuring Nautilus equipment. We take pride in our guest service and quality. When staying in Claypool Hill, stay at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites. We look forward to seeing you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill Hotel Pounding Mill
- Holiday Inn Pounding Mill
- Pounding Mill Holiday Inn