“Disappointing stay”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Pounding Mill
Roanoke, Virginia
“Disappointing stay”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This was my first visit to this property (and my last), as it started off on a bad note. I had made a reservation through my corporate web site for a nonsmoking room at this property. After checking in, I made my way up to my third floor room, the first thing that struck me when I got off the elevator was the heavy smell of cigarette smoke. When I made it to my room, I noticed that it was a "smoking" room, never opening the door. I returned to the front desk, thinking an error was made. I mentioned to the desk clerk that I had a reservation for a nonsmoking room (which I pulled up on my iPad). She mentioned that when certian corporate rates are assigned rooms, they assign them the rooms available, not what were booked. In addition, she mentioned that they had no nonsmoking rooms available. I was ready to walk out and find another hotel, but before leaving, I wanted to make sure I was not charged for the room, as I never even opened the door. She mentioned that since I "checked" in, I would be charged for the room. I replied that this was not the room I booked, and I was not going to pay for a room I was not satisfied with. She said she would have to "call and check" with her manager about not charging me. I replied that would be fine. She fumbled for a few minutes, and then found a "nonsmoking suite" that was availabe (strange??). Although not availabe at the same rate, I agreed to a $20 additional charge, just to have a room (end of a 12+ hour day).

Although the room (212) was more spacious than an average queen double, it was still tight. There was noise from all directions. Voices from either side, "big foot" from above, and from what I can best tell, rumbling from the "automatic doors" from the lobby below all evening long. Good news, no road noise (lol). The HVAC was no better. No continious fan mode, so it cut on and off all night ( a major grumph for me).

The possitives from my visit, the room was clean, and the room temp was ok. Wish I could say more.

I really hate giving a property such a low rating, but this was a most regretable visit. Although I travel through this area every week, I thought of trying this property again before a review, but I felt it was not worth the risk. There were too many errors made on the part of the hotel for me to consider another stay.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor if smoke bothers you
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. We understand that having a good night sleep is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the front doors and the room above you.

I am truly sorry for the misunderstanding about the reservations. I am not sure if your reservation was for a standard room and a note to make sure it was non-smoking. If that was the case we did not have any non-smoking standards rooms available. If your reservation was made specifically for a non-smoking room, that was our fault and I am truly sorry for that. I am glad that we were able to get you into a non-smoking suites.

I do not know what to say but I am truly sorry for your experiences you mentioned during your stay with us, please do not hold this one experience from using Holiday Inn Express hotels in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Stayed here one night for the Varmint Half Marathon. The room was clean, but the a/c seemed to have some issues. It was extremely hot/humid in the room when I arrived. I had to keep the thermostat on 60 to make the room comfortable. I also stayed in the first floor and the guests above me were extremely noisy. It sounded like they were running back and forth in the room while doing cartwheels. The staff did have breakfast ready at 5 am for the runners, which was nice. I would stay here again, but maybe not on the ground floor.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the noise experience from the room above you during your stay. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. As far as the Air Conditioner temperature, as we approach the summer months we will start pre-setting them so they are not as warm when a guest arrives. We just have not started that process yet.

We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.
Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Overall, the hotel "Ok" Rooms were OK, breakfast was OK, service was OK. I dropped the rating to "Poor" because the rate we reserved was not the rate that was presented upon check-in. This had to have been a purposeful change by the staff or management. I had to go and pull up my reservation and how them the reserved rate from the Holiday Inn site to recieve the rate we reserved. Just because it is a busy weekend, the property can't jack its rates on reserved customers. Very disappointed and sending this same review to Holiday Inn.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Thank you for the taking the time to let us know about your most current experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites located in Claypool Hill, Virginia. If the reservation you booked on line was at a different rate then you received at check-in I wish you would have brought that to our attention when you checked in. We do not change rates after a reservation has been booked by any reservation source. That would include any website, phone or in person.

The only thing I can think of if the rate was different would have been a room change to our executive or a suite but we would have still honored the rate that you reserved.

I would like to discuss this a little more with you. Could you please call me at (276)596-9880.

Travellers are raving about these Pounding Mill hotels

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Stay here every time we come to visit family in area and are never disappointed. Staff is super friendly and extremely accommodating. Indoor pool, is a big draw for kids, although on our last visit the chlorine levels were extremely high. This caused some skin and eye irritation. Minimally equipped exercise room, but treadmills work well. Rooms are adequate. Certainly the recommended place to stay in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, 13 April 2013
Thank you for the taking the time to let us know about your most current experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites located in Claypool Hill, Virginia. Our goal is to meet your needs from a clean comfortable room to friendly staff and I can see we did that.

Regarding the pool’s chlorine levels. We stay in the guidelines of what the county requires and we test three times a day. I am sorry that you felt the levels may have been a little high for you.

Again thank you for the recommendation for future travelers that might read your review about our hotel in Claypool Hill, Virginia. Hope to see you again if your travel takes you through our area.
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Having never been to Pounding Mills (or anywhere nearby) I didn't know what to expect from this small VA town. When we made reservations, it was hard to even find anyplace in this area. Thankfully, we found what appeared to be the nicest hotel in the area.
The lobby was nice, we had two rooms with two double beds. The sheets were clean and smelled nice, the rooms were nicely appointed and seemed fairly new and fresh. I really liked the shower curtain, although the water in the shower only kind of dribbled out so it took forever to wash my thick hair.
We had the continental breakfast two mornings. Thankfully, they had plenty of coffee. Over the two days they offered eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, dry cereals, fruits, milk, juices and pastries. It was an adequate breakfast, and given the very limited choices of restaurants in the area, it was a treat to even have the option.
Overall, the hotel was ok. Nothing special, but certainly better than the other 1-2 options we saw available in the town.

Room Tip: The hotel is all non-smoking, so I think that's a plus. The area is pretty remote, so I'm n...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites located in Claypool Hill, Virginia. We take pride in our hotel and I can see we met your needs from a clean comfortable room to friendly staff.

I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast. It is nice to wake up to a hot breakfast, and the Holiday Inn Express & Suites has one of the best.

Again thank you for the comments and look forward to seeing you again if your travels take you through the Claypool Hill, Virginia.
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Nice hotel located just outside of Richlands, VA. Room was clean and comfortable. King size bed was firm. Nice breakfast in the morning. My one complaint was that the room A/Heater made a lot of noise and each time during the night it would kick on it would wake me up.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, 13 January 2013

The HVAC units are controlled by the air temperature and they will continue to turn on and off throughout the night to make sure the temperature does not very from the setting that you had set. I am truly sorry that this woke you up throughout the night. We will look into extra noise that the unit made each time it turned on.

Again thank you for your posting and I do hope to see you back if your travels takes you through the Claypool Hill, Virginia area.
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed 31 October 2012

The property appears rather new and in good shape. The check-in was friendly, although the assigned room did not match my preference requested in the reservation (I am a platinum PC member), so I asked for another room. The room I got was also in good shape, but it was full of bugs. There were between 15 and 20 ladybugs crawling and flying all over the room! Reported the problem to the front desk and was told they were aware of the problem, but could do nothing to prevent the ladybugs from getting into the hotel at this time of the year. The front desk provided me a mini vacum cleaner and suggested "I simply suck them up". So after a long day and an even lengthier drive I spent the next half and hour vacuming the bugs. It seemed I was done, but they kept coming from behind curtains. When I inspected closer I was able to see a whole "nest" of them behing the curtains. I like ladybugs when I meet them in nature, but to have them all over your room is rather annoying. I then returned the vacum cleaner to the front desk and told them about the nest. The lady did apologize and asked if I wanted to change rooms. Had it not been late and nad I not already unpacked everything, I would have done so. But then again, would changing rooms mean that I would have to "suck them all out" of the new room by myself as well? You can imagine I did not sleep very well with all these bugs in mind. I do think there should be a way rooms could come without the ladybug self-vacuming option.

Room Tip: Avoid the property in "ladybugs season".
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
First of all I would like to thank you for being a loyal customer of the Holiday Inn Family of Hotels as a Platinum member.

Our goal is to meet your needs from a clean comfortable room to friendly staff and I can see we did that for the most part accept for the lady bug issue. We have been in contact with our pest control company to find a way to eliminate these bugs from getting into the hotel. The only time we see these bugs are the fall of the year. We are working hard to find a solution.

I am truly sorry that our staff member gave you our handheld vacuum to vacuum them up. I am glad to see that our desk staff member did apologize and offered to move you to another room. I fully understand your reason for not moving to another room late in the night. All I can tell you is we are working with our pest control company to find a solution to this isolated issue.

Thank you for expressing your concerns and I hope this does not prevent you from trying our Holiday Inn Express in Claypool Hill, Virginia if your back in the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pounding Mill
#1 of 1 in Grundy
Super 8 Lebanon
Super 8 Lebanon
#1 of 2 in Lebanon

Been to Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill? Share your experiences!