“Great Road Food on the way to Williamsburg, VA”
Review of Willie's Smoked Carolina BBQ - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Willie's Smoked Carolina BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Durham, North Carolina
“Great Road Food on the way to Williamsburg, VA”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I found this place by accident (isn't that always the way...?) and now it's a must-stop whenever I travel through here. It's less than a mile off I-64 Exit 205, a few miles after the intersection with I-295. There are signs for it on I-64. It's a hole-in-the-wall extension of a gas station/convenience store, and you can eat inside or out. The pig smoker is right there on the patio and this is real Carolina BBQ, very nicely done. Inside is a refrigerated deli case with dozens of homemade sides to go with your meat. The cornbread is fabulous. Everything is fabulous. The atmosphere is pure country store...the real kind. Clean, friendly, down-home and delicious.

You can get sandwiches or dinner plates with sides, but the thing I love best is the $5 BBQ Parfait. This is one-of-a-kind, folks, and I love it because it's such a great to-go dish. They take one of those tall clear plastic drink cups with a dome lid (like you get at Starbucks for frozen coffee drinks) and they fill it with layers of baked beans, pulled pork and cole slaw. What a brilliant idea! For me as a solo driver on business trips, this is heaven.

There is one of those brand-new McDonald's Cafes across the street from here, but do not pass this incredible food up for a standard trip to Micky D's.

• Visited February 2012

“Old-fashioned roadside Q”
Reviewed 8 December 2011

No frills, but this place clearly cooks everything from scratch. We loved the BBQ Parfait and fantastic home-made cornbread. Worth a quick side trip if you're hungry!

• Visited December 2011
Mid-Atlantic
“Good BBQ”
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I have eaten at this place several times over the past few years. Prior to that I had driven by it with little notice as the outside of the place is unassuming and the inside is little more. However, the reason I finally stopped in was because I like BBQ. And I am glad I did. The pork BBQ is consistently good and the sides are homemade. I am not a connoisseur by any means but this place has some of the best pork BBQ I have ever eaten. Chicken and beef ore also on the menu and the prices are reasonable, the counter service prompt and efficient. Be warned, if you are used to fine dinning, skip this place. I will eat there again.

• Visited September 2011