“Very disappointing crabcake”

Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Best Fresh Local Seafood in the Northern Neck! Crabs, Crabmeat, Scallops, Shrimp, Fresh Fish, Fresh made Salads Daily. ABC On/Off
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I stopped in for lunch one afternoon. Thinking it is a seafood market we were expecting an above average crabcake. Not so. Actually one of the worst crabcakes I've ever had. Very little crab, lots of filler, no flavor. Nice to sit on the one picnic table that had an umbrella. The staff friendly and brought lunch out to us. Too bad, could be a nice little spot.

3  Thank Ann1443

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Get the flounder sandwich, the shrimp or the oysters. They also sell fresh seafood. Counter service but they have cold beer and you can eat outside on a picnic table.

2  Thank Rvrlady01
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We visited on a very chilly afternoon, but thank goodness it was nice and cozy and warm inside. There were outdoor picnic tables available overlooking the water, but it was way too cold and windy on this day. We had their cold salad plates, including shrimp and crabmeat. It was amazingly delicious. Their prices seemed on the high side, but the food was very fresh, you get what you pay for. If their prices were a little lower, we would have returned during our visit to Reedville. The narrow road in and out are very scenic as well. Surrounded by water on both sides, we saw a deer running close by the road.

1  Thank Larnkath
Reviewed 25 August 2013

You ever go to NYC and walk up to a vendor to buy a bottle of water? If you look like you're a tourist they'd tell you it costs $2.50 or maybe more. If you try to call them out on it, they usually back track and give you the right price. I was surprised to see this kind of tactic out here in Reedville.

So we wanted soft shell crabs and saw this place as one of our options. I bought a substantial amount of seafood here on Thursday by myself: a dozen soft shell crabs, 6 crab cakes, some fresh fish that they had, et al. The first red flag was that they didn't write down how much I was charged for the crab cakes and the soft shell crabs. The soft shell crabs, I found out via signage was $40 for the L (4 different sizes are available: essentially S, M, L, XL). We had them cooked and cleaned for an additional $5.95! The crab cakes (cooked) were $8.95ea.

I came back on a Saturday with the rest of the fam and we were charged $10.33ea (mine) and $13.33ea (my aunt) for crab cakes. They were the same size and same everything. We were told they charged extra because it was lunch time and they were busy and that there was an extra charge for cooking crab cakes. Um, what?

The soft shell crabs we ordered would be the same price (plus extra $5.95 to cook) but since we ordered about 5 dozen, they can't stop their small operation to cook and clean 5 dozen soft shell crabs during the lunch rush. To note, there was no line and 3 of the 8 tables inside were occupied. I guess we have different views on a 'lunch rush.' The older lady running the cashier told us we should have called in advance if we wanted to order that many. I'm glad we didn't, though. We went somewhere else and they sold us 5 dozen cooked and cleaned soft shell crabs (during the lunch hour) with no problem and for much, much, much less.

This place ruined an otherwise enjoyable experience for us in Reedville, VA.

Look elsewhere for seafood when you're in this area. I'm sure there are more reputable businesses in this area. This place is NOT the only option.

The only bright spot was the outdoor seating. It was right by the water and in the shade. I would bring food from elsewhere to eat at this spot just to spite this place.

2  Thank rzilla
lindasjett64, Owner at Cockrell's Creek Seafood & Deli, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Rizilla - his first comment about how we treat tourist in the Northern Neck is so untrue. He must of thought he was in New York!

Soft Crabs - we call them by size, Jumbo's, Primes. and Hotels. Not S, M, L. On that day we only had JUMBO's and he bought a dozen for $38.00 + tax.
A plain Crab Cake cooked is $8.95. If we clean the soft crabs it is $3.00 per dozen.
He was not over charged, just wanted something for nothing.

They did order lunch and was happy with it. That is what was $10.95 (10.33) he claims.

We did not charge him extra for soft crabs, they wanted 6 dozen all together without any notice. Yes it was lunch time and I could not clean all of them at that moment, but if he had called ahead since he was in there the day before, we could of had them ready when his family came in.

He claims there was no line, there is always a line and we only have 4 tables inside not 8.

He claims he went elsewhere, I am glad.

I am sorry he had a sour look on his experience, but he is more than welcome to come back to the Northern Neck and put on a happy face!!!

We are still just as nice and busy as ever!

Thank you!

Reviewed 31 May 2013

This restaurant is right on the water and has some picnic tables along the water which was nice. I ate lunch there and was very disappointed in the crab cake sandwich. It tasted just ok, and I was expecting a good sized crab cake since I was in seafood country. The sandwich was very, very small for the money. It came with a tiny bag of chips and mine was missing a dill pickle that was supposed to come with it. Even the lettuce and tomato was skimpy. Bet they have good profit margins on their food. The service was ok and the outside seating was nice.

1  Thank John S