“Very Disappointing”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We visited because of the T.A. reviews, but found it an underwhelming experience.
Our appetiser was tempura soft shell crab,the batter was thick & completely masked the flavour of the crab. It was delivered at the same time as our main courses, but with no apology or interest.When I queried I was told the chef is new! Surely the waitress should manage the order?
Teppanyaki chicken was a sloppy dish, reasonable flavour, but more like a stew! My teppanyaki salmon was overcooked. The restaurant was shabby & gave the feeling of a project started with enthusiasm but now become just a chore.

There are newer reviews for Wasabi's

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stopped by to enjoy a Birthday Dinner last night with a girlfriend.

After reading the reviews we decided to stop by.

The service was prompt. As we entered the door we were greeted and were seated at a table. The place is dark and decorated as if we were in someones home. Cheap black table clothes covered the tables, with different things decorating the walls. I enjoyed a glass of house Reisling - tasty! I also tried the Green Salad, lettuce with the ginger dressing, tasted delicious! For my meal i order a Lovers Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll and the Sumo Roll. The Sumo Roll was dry and fried, did not have a good flavor, it is marketed as the house favorite - STAY AWAY. I would recomend the lovers roll - very tasty. The Spicy Tuna was also good.

Over all this is a cool place to grab a bite to eat - nothing fancy, nothing rave.
If you go try the Lovers Roll - you will be missing out if you dont try it!

Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

Wasabi is seriously the best sushi I've ever eaten and I've been a sushi snob since 1980 when there were only 2 sushi joints in manhattan! I could eat the lunch wasabi special 4 days a week. Spicy tuna to die for! So fresh and an amazing find in the mountains of sw va. Yum.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We were enticed by the good reviews and decided to try Wasabi's when visiting Roanoke. The actual experience did not live up to the hype. The sushi was good, but not outstanding. The assortment of sushi and sashimi on the ultimate boat for two was not particularly inspired or well executed. The fish selection was repetitive, and the pieces were larger than in a more traditional place. On a return visit, we would probably stick to ordering rolls. On the plus side, service was friendly.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Who would ever guess that in Roanoke you'd find the best sushi in the US?? We stop in to eat whenever we are in the area and always order the same thing - the Sumo Roll. The sauce that is drizzled on top of the roll is to die for. After eating it and soaking your tempura battered tuna in it you just want more!

Been to Wasabi's? Share your experiences!