“A Quick Stay”

Hyatt Place Roanoke
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This hotel is older. Would I recommend it for a stay for a vacation..no. But we were using it as a pit stop for one night heading to Lake Norman, NC. There were a total of 12 of us (three families) ...booking 3 rooms with a variety of adults and children. The rooms were plenty big for an overnight stay. The kids used the pool and loved it because no one was in it. There are plenty of restaurants nearby and a mall just in case you forgot anything. The woman at the desk was very friendly. She not only checked us in but also drove the group of us via shuttle to dinner. Dinner was done we called and she was there in five minutes. Needed more towels and within a few moments they had arrived. So I must say service was great.
I was concerned because of all the reviews I read about dogs. I have to admit...it kinda grossed me out before I got there and actually considered changing hotels. My friends talked me out of it! I saw one tiny dog the whole time I was there.
The breakfast buffet was more than adequate for a bite before we checked out. Was it gourmet, no. But it was well organized and had everything we needed to start the morning off.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

It's evident that this is a older hotel. Accommodations were ok...nothing to get too excited about. Room appeared clean and comfortable. I would stay again. Did not try the food items, but lobby appeared vey nice. Indoor pool was a definite plus.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Saw some mixed reviews prior to staying here, but kept reservation. Glad we did. Great price, bonus was the room had 2 double beds and a pull out couch. Hotel was clean and service was great. Breakfast was nice as well. Shuttle was a big help for our group. Nice experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel for the second time. Room was almost identical to the first one, but this one had a hook on the back of the bathroom door and the AC unit worked more quietly, welcome changes. The desk staff are very friendly and helpful. Our housekeepers were perfect. The lobby is wonderful for socializing. The breakfast is adequate. The woman who was serving breakfast was not friendly. I greeted her and she seemed reluctant to return the greeting. The biscuits were cold and very dry (sufficient to cover with gravy but not to eat by themselves), I got the last juice glass which was dirty on the outside. Had the server been more friendly or had there been staff in the breakfast area, I would have let them know about the glasses. I did get a latte one day which was very poor quality. I had to add sugar and a flavored creamer (although I had asked for a flavored syrup) to make it more than a cup of coffee with cream. Although beverages are offered, they are quite pricey. We paid about $5 for two bottles of water. Our room had no microwave, which would have been nice to have, and the sofa was a little stained and worn. There was a strong aroma of smoke in our hallway, both from the outside door which guest propped open while they smoked and from a service room (electrical?) which we noticed every time we walked to our room. However, it was a great stay and we look forward to our next one. The location is wonderful, convenient to many restaurants, nice mall, and the downtown.

Room Tip: We had a first floor room, which we liked because we had a lot of items to bring in and out. Howeve...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We ended up here after deciding not to stay at the hotel we had reservations at. We were impressed the minute we walked in. The hotel has food for purchase 24 hours a day and a bar (though the bar is a bit pricy. Off the pool area was a space with tables and chairs for people to eat at along with the tables in the breakfast area. The employees were very friendly and helpful. The employee who checked us in upgraded us to a suite for the same price as a regular room so our two granddaughters would have a little separate space of their own. Food for breakfast was good. Only improvement I would make would be to add a laundry room for their guests.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DavenportPete
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed for a couple of days this weekend, and my stay wasn't too bad. Compared to other reviews the staff seemed nice. The room my husband and I stayed in was spacious although our microwave didn't work. The bed was really comfortable. I only had a few issues. The place needs a deep clean, probably a new cleaning staff. There were holes in our sheets and when they were changed there was a stain on our new set of sheets. We also don't eat sunflower seeds but there were a couple on the floor, which needs a shampoo. The walls should also be washed, and the couch had a stain on it. The A/C unit should be cleaned. Also, there should be more options for breakfast and the food should be warm. All in all the hotel does have a lot of potential but just needs a deep cleaning and a new chief.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank tbell2010
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Beds seem a little old, they squeaked when we moved. Black out curtains worked good we slept til almost 9. Pull out couch was nice to have for the kids. There is a little wall to give the bed a little privacy from the couch. Bathrooms are small and could use and update. Wet bar area is nice. Doesn't seem like a new hotel but very nice especially for the price and if you need a bigger than average room. Would be good for business travel or families for sure.

Stayed: July 2014