“I was a little skeptical going in, but it really was very very good”
Review of Local Roots

Local Roots
Reserve with OpenTable
Local Roots is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 485 Restaurants in Roanoke
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Memorial Ave
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I'm always a little leery of group think over the hot dining concept du-jour, so although I do support the local concept (I am a farmer's market regular), I also expect good execution for the money I'm paying, not just 'it's local so it must be good' hype. The pork ragu was really, really good. My wife's trout was good too. The Bibb salads were underwhelming. The candied peanuts in it distracted from the dish particularly. A nice selection of local beers both on tap & in bottle. The Hardywood Singel from Richmond I had on draft was an excellent micro beer in the ever expanding universe of underwhelming new microbrewery ventures. I'll definitely be trying to find that one around town, nice call by Local Roots to offer it. The service was excellent. The room is nice, but I wouldn't call it romantic by any means. We'll definitely be back.

1  Thank hiker570

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

While driving through Roanoke we came upon this gem , excellent food and local farm to table concept, definitely make a reservation as it gets busy and is a small place

Reviewed 3 August 2014

While visiting Roanoke this summer (we do so frequently), we were pleased to discover Local Roots in Grandin. Our meal and server (Chad) were both exceptional. Trout was expertly prepared and artistically presented. The gnocchi were ethereal and the summer vegetable salad was delicious. Each vegetable element carried its own flavor yet all worked together harmoniously. The citrus vinaigrette on the haricots was exceptionally delicious. Rapahannock oysters were delicious with ramp mignonette and a squeeze of lime. The beer list was terrific as well and we enjoyed the 50% discounted happy hour pours at a leisurely pace as the place filled over the course of a Wednesday evening. Although we walked in and were seated without having reservations, given how quickly the place filled up, it might be advisable to call ahead.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Was looking for a place for lunch while visiting Roanoke. Decided to give this place a try - good choice. In between lunch and dinner the hot food line is down so they offered us soup and salad. We each had a lovely green salad with a nice, light, but tasty dressing and a cup of chilled zucchini soup. Just what we needed to refresh but not overeat too soon before dinner. Great bar, too. Try the gin & juice, tasty with some unexpected ingredients.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Four of us went to dinner at Local Roots on Friday night. We did have reservations and we seated immediately. Although 3 of us had good meals, my meal was not very good. I had the chicken which was supposed to be served with spaetzle, carrots and snap peas. Here is what I was served; two small carrots, no snap peas, no spaetzle, and tasteless chicken. There was one small chicken leg with little to no meat on it and two rolled up pieces of chicken that tasted like cardboard. It was awful. We did not have desert, went for frozen yogurt. No point on prolonging my dissatisfaction. Why is this place the #1 restaurant? By the way, I left the place hungry. The only reason I am giving this a 3 is because my husband said his meal was good.

2  Thank bltc1976
Diane E, Owner at Local Roots, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear bitc1976, First of all thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience at Local Roots - A Farm to Table Restaurant. We are happy to know that your dining companions enjoyed their meal but, of course, very unhappy, that you found yours so disappointing. I have checked with our executive chef about the execution of the Duo of Chicken which is what you had. It consists of a smoked heritage chicken leg and two chicken roulades made of breast meat making a six ounce portion of protein. The plate should have five baby carrots, house made spaetzle under the chicken and around it, and chiffonaded snap peas. The pea preparation is such that you may not recognize it as peas, but thinly sliced pea pods, looking like green ribbons. So there was not a clear serving of each item but a presentation incorporating all the elements. Did your server realize that you were not happy with your dish? If we had known, we would have prepared something else for you or made compensation on your bill. We aim for all our guests to be pleased with their Local Roots experience. If you would consider it, we would like to send you a gift card so you could give us another try. We have made a number of people happy at our restaurant and we would like to have you be happy with us also. If you are interested, and we hope you are,please send me your
address via e-mail and I will send a card to you ASAP. My e-mail is diane@localrootsrestaurant.com

Been to Local Roots? Share your experiences!