“Wildflour is suberb place to dine”

Wildflour Market and Bakery
Ranked #16 of 478 Restaurants in Roanoke
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Leyburn
“Wildflour is suberb place to dine”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The place, people and food are excellent. Met lots of locals ther - always a good sign !

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Positives hard to come by when almost everthing was a huge let down.”
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Been meaning to come here for years. Finally did it. Used to live in this neighborhood and was glad my old stomping grounds had a nice neighborhood restaurant. I was seated right away. My options were to be seated by the window, which I usually prefer, but by doing so you were looking right at the people sitting outside. The other option was a small, interior table. Maybe a tablecloth would have taken away from the inexpensive look of the tables. My chair was designed as such so that you had to sit straight up all the time. If you dare to sit back against the back of the chair to get comfy, you end scooting forward and down in your chair. One of my personal pet peeves. Others may not mind. I just like not having to adjust myself in a chair every two minutes. I was asked how everything was about two minutes after I was served my food. My mouth was luckily full and I just nodded. I ordered the Southern Meatloaf Dinner. Comes with mashed potatoes and vegetables. Well, as it turned out, one other vegetable. And the choices were....drumroll, please....broccoli. I said that was my only choice of vegetable? She said that she could see if they have any asparagus instead. I said no, that was worse than the broccoli. I thought I made myself clear. I got asparagus that I did not choose. I ate most of it. It was plenty salty and was not as vile as I remember. The mashed potatoes were real. The gravy had no flavor. The meatloaf. Well, if I were blindfolded, I never would have guessed that it was meatloaf. If had an overbearing flavor that I still cannot identify. It was unlike any meatloaf I have ever eaten or made. It was re-heated by frying in a skillet, I believe. Some places got a little too much heat and it did not help this dish that some of it was slightly charred. I ate about half my meal and then decided I would just forget this terribleness and order one of their desserts that looked so scrumptious on their local commercial. Well, I sat there for twenty minutes after I pushed my plate away. No one bothered to ask how anything was and no one took away the plate with half-eaten food on it on the other side of the table from me. There were four tables within just a few feet of mine that were seated with customers. A couple were seated during my extensive waiting period. I felt TOTALLY invisible. I had finally had enough. I got up and went to the back where you pay. The waitress said, "Can I get you anything?" I said, "Yes. My check, please!" The young woman taking the money asked how everything was. I said, "It wasn't." I left as steamed and underimpressed as I have ever been. This is the second worse meal for which I have ever paid. I am a great southern and general cook. Meatloaf is not one of my specialties. But on my worst day, I can make better meatloaf than these people. Absolutley a meal worth walking out on. And by the way, was too upset to order dessert. The locals, who all seemed to know each other, seemed to like it but I can't for the life of me, based upon my experience, understand why anyone would darken their doorway twice. Hate to be so negative, but I wasn't given a lot of positives with which to work.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Spellingchamp76
Richmond, Virginia
“delicious and fresh”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Lots of choices and they use fresh ingredients. The desserts are worth the calories, but the salads and dinners will fill you up first!

SC
“Interesting menu with lots of choices. Good for those who want non meat options.”
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Non meat selections. Loved looking at all the art on the walls. Good food and desserts.

Austin
“Good art, okay food”
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I liked the vibe in this place - hometown, artistic and hippie. They have a lot of art for sale hung on the walls. The menu is diverse and has options in several price-points. My friend suggested that I try the mac-n-cheese but I didn't enjoy it very much. It was obviously a casserole that had be cut into squares and re-heated so that the cheese was just dried on the noodles rather than being creamy. My mom had a quesadilla that was really good, though. There were plenty of options for cake and it was tasty, so I definitely recommend them for dessert. Service was a bit cold at first but then warmed up to mediocre.

• Visited May 2012