“So, you want to be full after breakfast!!!”
Review of Healthy Stuff Cakery and Cafe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Healthy Stuff Cakery and Cafe
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Go see Al at Healthy stuff. At least in November, the restaurant is only open on Sunday from 8:00 to 3:00. The restaurant is in old mansion that needs some work on the outside, but the restaurant is bright, airy, and clean. We (party of four) had breakfast for brunch. Great omlettes and do have a waffle "critter." It is a regular waffle; just a little smaller than a full portion waffle. Do talk to Al Hubbard, owner and restaurant philosopher. He has strong opinions and he loves to chat with his customers.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Tried the Butternut Squash pancakes and they were the best, most fluffy, well spiced, little crunchy cakes I have had in many many years! I am very picky about my pancakes and stopped even ordering them years ago. But based on the look of them on the table next to us, and that table highly recommending them I went for it. A must have.

The omelette was also very good. Perfectly cooked.

The restaurant itself is a cute old house with a great front porch for outside dining. They also let the dog sit there with us which means a lot! Just two people running the whole place.

By far the best meal i had in all of Roanoke.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Today's visit to this restaurant was a scary, horrible experience. Had to call 911. 9 year old child was sobbing because owner Al Hubbard was verbally assaultive and aggressive to us (the customers) when waitress made mistakes on our orders. Almost every person's order at our 6 top came out wrong. They brought each plate out in 20 minute intervals and waited until half of us had already eaten to tell me that they couldn't make what my daughter ordered, then when her meal finally did come out another 20 minutes later it was wrong. Someone never got the other half of their entree they had waited for the entire time. Owner made rude comments to our table, making snide remarks at my sister's S.O. Then at the register when we tried to talk about it, the owner interrupted us after two words, yelled at us loud, fast and a lot, completely disallowing us to say anything. When I said he wouldn't allow us to talk, he stepped into me, put his arm over my head pointing at the door, and screamed "leave my restaurant!" This was on Mother's Day. Had he done that to a man, reaching over his head, I'm sure he would've been punched in the face. I just walked out and called police to let them know I'd been the target of disorderly conduct. The owner of The Healthy Stuff has a problem with being aggressive especially toward women (he was yelling at a little girl from another table as well, probably around 7 years old). He is out of control, assaultive, he shocked my daughter and my sister, and I will never step foot near his restaurant again.

1  Thank B W
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Worst dining experience my family and I have ever had. The server was clearly new and had no knowledge of the menu, and was confused from the beginning of the meal. Every entree for our party of 6 came out wrong, and with about 10 minutes between each one. About 20 minutes after my S.O. ordered apple cider, he had to ask the server to get it; she soon returned to say that they did not have any. After the first two plates had been dropped off, the several missing or wrong items on those plates fixed, and those people were halfway done eating, the server informed us that some sort of machine was broken so they could not make the grilled cheese sandwich my niece had ordered. We ordered something different for her, pancakes with no toppings, and they came out eventually, but were covered in whipped cream, which she had specifically asked them not to do. The other entrees were brought out with several things missing or wrong over the next 30 minutes or so. My own entree came out with the correct main item, but my sides (bacon and eggs) did not come with it. About 45 minutes after the first plate had been dropped off, I asked the server to cancel the bacon and eggs and just charge me for my pancakes, as everyone else had nearly finished eating at that point, and we were so frustrated we just wanted to leave. A few minutes later, the owner (“Big Al”), brought the sides out anyways and demanded to know who would be eating them. After explaining multiple times why I no longer wanted them, he stormed away from the table and made snide remarks over his shoulder such as, “I guess you’re in a hurry today, aren’t you?”. After a few minutes I got up and walked up to the counter to speak with him, as I wanted to be sure he understood why I didn’t want the sides and make sure I would not be charged for them. After a server let him know I wanted to speak with him, he came storming out of the kitchen and said, “WHAT NOW?”. I was completely taken aback, but started trying to explain the problem anyways when he completely exploded, screaming at me about how he couldn’t cook a “thanksgiving dinner” (we’re still not sure what that means), and eventually yelling at us to “get out of his restaurant” or he would call the cops. I’m not sure why he felt the need to involve police to settle a customer dispute with two small women, but if it made him feel better, so be it. Overall, only two entrees out of 6 came out correctly, the entire process from the time the first plate was dropped off to the time I asked them not to make the missing sides for my meal took about 45 minutes, and our mother’s day breakfast ended with him screaming at us and terrifying my 9 year old niece (who was in tears at this point) and 10 year old nephew. Aside from the horrible customer service experience, only one of the 2 unisex bathrooms worked and the door was missing a lock, leading my niece to walk in on a man at the urinal (mortifying), the food was average at best, and horrendously overpriced. We noticed similar experiences at tables around us as people sat at dirty tables for 30 minutes waiting for a server to notice them, and the owner “jokingly” threatening two little girls who were playing with the bell at the cash register. The owner of this place clearly has issues and I would advise people to stay far, far away.

1  Thank Aurora J
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Went to this place for the third time and have experienced the same hopeless waitress each visit. Service is pretty slow and the food average and expensive ($4+ for a semi-stale toasted bagel with butter).
We asked for coffee refills and the waitress disappeared with the coffee mugs so we ate our breakfast sans coffee. When she returned, she had just topped off the coffee and it was cold.
We were a party of 4 adults and 2 children (ages 2 and 5). My husband went to pay the bill and was going to tip the waitress 15% when he was informed by the owner that he was required to tip 18% since we were a party of 6 (which was never stated anywhere).
All over the walls there are signs boasting about the importance of customer service yet he is more interested in flexing his muscles than actually heeding his own advice.
I would recommend anywhere else than this place for breakfast and will most certainly never be going back.

1  Thank SarahVA12