“Simply put: average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Chicago, Illinois
“Simply put: average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

I can't say that I've had a cuban sandwich in Cuba. However, I have taken a liking to a good cuban sandwich (Best one: 90 miles from Cuba, south of Clyborne and Western, Chicago). This cuban sandwich was sub par. Dry pork. Slightly soggy bread. Cold plaintain chips. Can't say that I would go here for a good lunch. It might get the job done in a pinch or after a night out.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Real Cuban Coffee!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

The food was authentic and well prepared. I had the shredded beef sandwich with fried plantains. Perfect. The flan..again perfect...and believe me I've had some bad flan in the past. The setting is just right for people watching. I recommend using the outside cafe area and watch the farmers market across the street. The market is a show in and of itself. And of course, the Cuban Coffee: strong and sweet. The only downside: the service was a bit slow.
Would I go again? I did. And the next time I'm in Roanoke I'll stop by again if for nothing else than to sit outside and sip the coffee.

• Visited April 2013
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Pleasant surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

We've dined here twice and have had great experiences thus far! They have fantastic mojitos with lots of real crushed mint - went perfectly with the shredded beef sandwich I got! Although sometimes slow, the staff is very friendly and welcoming. The upbeat music gives the small restaurant a great atmosphere, the outdoor dining area is great for people watching also. TIP: if you like spicy sauces definitely ask for the homemade hot sauce, it is soooo good, we put it in everything :)

• Visited March 2013
Roanoke, Virginia
“Going back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013 via mobile

Had lunch today for the first time, both my husband & I had the same thing so I can't tell you too much though the the sandwiches we had were excellent. Place is nice and clean, wait staff was wonderful. Planning on going back some warm evening and sitting outside.

Virginia
“Ugh”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

It blows my mind to hear how so many people have had great experiences here, because every single one of mine have been so bad it was like something from a movie. First off let me say, if you're looking for good Cuban food go to El Cubanito in Salem, beyond amazing!

My first experience here I looked over the menu and didn't see any options for me, a vegetarian. Naturally I wasn't expecting there to be any, so I decided to ask the waitress if I could just leave the meat off of a sandwich since I didn't eat meat, and sub cheese. I would happily pay full price anyway, and in return increase their profit on the meal. She didn't speak any english at all, and what spanish I was able to speak was not enough to break the barrier. I'm sorry, but the wait staff needs to be able to communicate with customers, problem one. She then offered me a plate of pork. I then tried explaining myself again to another waitress. It all ended with her bringing me salad mix on a piece of bread and mushy yucca that must have been sitting around all day that was completely tasteless. I feel like it wasn't complicated to simply leave meat off of a sandwich, but apparently it was. Not only that but I was charged for a chicken sandwich and then charged $1 for lettuce and $2 for olives. Keep in mind that I did not ask for lettuce, and I certainly did not ask for olives because I do not eat them. I left extremely annoyed. I miss the Cuban restaurant that was on the Market before, this place is just a hot mess.

• Visited December 2012