“We are now fans of Cuban Food!”
Review of Habana Cafe - CLOSED

Habana Cafe
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Apex, North Carolina
“We are now fans of Cuban Food!”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We visited the Habana Cafe on a very busy Saturday night in June 2013 with the Virginia State HOG rally going on and a classic car show riding through the streets of Roanoke and here our group of 10 was not quite sure where we would all find a place to accomodte us. Having not a lot of experience with Cuban food, what a wonderful suprise that not only could they squeeze us in but we were also provided the most awesome food we have ever eaten. Also good were the best Mohitos! I remember each one of us havinfg a different meal and we were all very pleased with the results. We were also so suprised that as busy as it was, our e=waiter din=d not make any mistakes from drinks to food to the 5 seperate bills. This place is worth a visit and we were singing Guantanamera for days!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank ggthor

Roanoke, Virginia
“way below average”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I had my first authentic Cuban food in Miami couple years ago, and I absolutely fell in love with Cuban food since then. I won't consider myself as an expert on Cuban food, but I was very eager to find a good Cuban restaurant. This restaurant was such a huge disappointment. I had pulled pork- it was simply wrong. No authentic flavor whatsoever (all I can taste is salt and some generic flavoring). The meat (pulled-pork) was served fairly dry ("no sauce") and I was told to use their sauce in a bottle (placed in every table, I think). The portion of meat I had was covered with a big piece of fatty tissue- not a typical pork fat (which I enjoy to eat) that you would see in pork belly, for example, it was just a huge blob of fat that is absolutely not worthy of serving to your customer). Fried (sweet) plantains were below average, and fried green plantains were just so bland and dry. I will not go back here. But more than that, I am just so disappointed about the carelessness of a cook/chef to serve food like that.

• Visited August 2013
Roanoke, Virginia, USA
“Dining & Drinking From Atop A Bongo Drum”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Great Cuban-like atmosphere. Loved the bongo drum seating at the bar. Great Mojitos. A very good place for a refreshing change of venue. The food is good to above average; depending on what you order. The grilled chicken salad was better than most places. Most menu items are a lot like like American Key West entries with Cuban naming. Has decent, outdoor sidewalk dining.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank T-Bone_Steaks
Roanoke, Virginia
“OK Food - Great Cuban Coffee”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

The two of us stopped for an early evening dinner on Saturday and seated ourselves at an outdoor table; it was a great place for watching the many people enjoying some rain free time downtown. Since the people watching occupied our time, we did not mind the 15 minutes it took to be waited on. The highlight was the Cuban Coffee; dark, rich, and sweet; too bad it doesn't come in a full-sized cup - then again, that might be too much of a good thing. Our order from the dinner menu of Cuban Style Roast Pork arrived with sweet plantains, black beans and rice, and yuca. The plantains were a hit; full flavored. The beans and rice, and yuca were quite bland; much more so than expected. Strangely, the Roast Pork, in spite of the menu description about being marinated, was also quite bland. However, what the food lacked in flavor, was offset by the large quantity. The prices seemed a bit high for average food quality.

• Visited July 2013
“Cuban Fun”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This place is one of those places that have recently become a place to visit, they have succulent Cuban food their pork, rice and beans are just perfect, they also have live salsa bands, like latin clave, which are phenomenal, they make the atmosphere of the restaurant that of a fun latin party, their drinks are good, they make tasty mojitos. During lunch time they have freshly squeezed orage juice with their tortas (sandwiches) which satisfy me every time.

Visited June 2013