“From the 1950's to the 1990's.”

Colony House Motor Lodge
Ranked #21 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
East Syracuse, New York
“From the 1950's to the 1990's.”
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Aftrr one night in a 1950's motel in Luray,Va, a drive down the SkyLine Drive and part of the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Colony House Motor Lodge was a bright light at the end of a long tunnel.Check in was quick. Walking into my room, my first word was 'WOW'. Two queen beds, round table with 2 or 3 chairs. Night stand between the beds. A big screen tv sits in a wooden cabinet. Probably 50 channels, was too tired from driving to pay much asttention to tv. A writing desk/table was near the tv cabinet.

The bathroom was good size, with the shower/tub having much space. The sink area has large area for traveling items. Hairdryer and good motel shampoo. The bed was very comfortable with two pillows each. Lighting was excellent in all parts of the room.

The room was very clean. My room was non-smoking, with smoking rooms avialable. Each room is equiped with micowave, small frigerator and coffee maker. Also thetre is a coin laundry.

Colony House is at most 12-15 minutes west of the Blue Ridge. The motel is just north of I581 leading to I81.

Two restaurant are within 1/2 mile at most. A steak restaurant to the motels left and a Red Lobster across Franklin Road. The man at the front desk recommended the steak restaurant. I walked to Red Lobster. Try the salmon.

The one big drawback to Colony House is the breakfast. Only donuts and muffins, with coffee and orange/apple juice. I would stay again, but would look for a neasrby breakfast restaurant, if staying more than one night.

All doores open to the facility's parking lot. I had no problem with this arrangement, as I had to walk 20 feet to my vehicle. No walking and carrying my luggage down a long hallway to chrck out.

On a 18 day day trip, I stayed at six motels , putting Colony House at the top and highly recommending a stay.

Jack , Syracuse, New York

Room Tip: Ask if a breakfast restaurant is neasrby.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Jack L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My husband and I, along with another couple, did a five-day motorcycle trip through PA, MD, WV, TN, NC, and finally VA. Our fourth day of travel put is in Roanoke, VA for our last night. Having stayed at the Colony House the previous year on a similar trip, we did not hesitate to make our reservations here again. When we arrived late Sunday evening, the gentleman working the front desk saw our motorcycles, took note of the reservation slips that had be written up for us, and shook his head. He said, "They have you staying in a second floor room...that just won't do for you and your bikes. How about I put you in first floor king suites? They only catch is they are on the backside of the property...is that OK?" We agreed instantly! He did not charge us for the upgraded room and we wound up with king beds (when I called to make the original reservations, the only standard rooms left were two double). We REALLY appreciated his efforts and offer! The Colony House is a great little motel with clean rooms, comfortable beds, and a great location just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. We took advantage of the proximity to the Red Lobster (just across the highway) and walked to our dinner that evening. Breakfast the next morning was modest, but it was enough to get us up and going on what would be our last day of our adventure.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PSU_Beth
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Stayed here one night - September 24, 2011. This is a older, small, family-owned motel. The check-in guy was the owner I'm pretty sure and he gave me the rate of $56 for a Saturday night. He was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was very large and spacious and the bed was comfortable. The room was very clean and came with a microfridge and microwave and no complaints whatsoever. The motel was very quiet even though on a major road. There is a Waffle House next door and several other restaurants within walking distance. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Ralph1948
Union, Maine
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Very good Place to stay
close to shopping and eating places
Will Be Going Back

Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cntrydj
virginia
Reviewed 28 July 2009

I do not understand the review of Feb. 2009. I too was hospitalized while staying at this hotel. I received excellent treatment and much concern for my health. They most certainly do honor their weekly rate of $196.00. As a matter of fact, I feel I was given such special treatment, I plan on visiting again real soon. It is very clean and quiet with extremely friendly staff to include the housekeepers.

This just goes to show that you cannot judge hotels by unfavorable reviews....you simply cannot please certain people when things don't go their way all the time!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank ellasue62
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Father having open heart surgery at Roanoke Memorial...Called to confirm reservations and was promised weekly rate of $196.00. Upon checking out was forced to pay full rate of $50 per night plus tax. Would not let us speak to management nor corporate office/owner. Called back and spoke with owner who was extremely rude and said that he refused to deal with us and hung up. Had human resources from the hospital call for us and she was treated rudely also. Other places are cleaner, have better service and the same rates! Still close to hospital. I would not recommend staying at the Colony House!!!!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed 12 June 2007

The Colony House is centrally located in Roanoke, and is a good place to stay for the money. It's an older motel, but is clean and had no problems EXCEPT for the fact that they do not separate smoking and non-smoking rooms. The lodge has two separate buildings and logic would tell the owner to separate them, but smoking and non-smoking rooms are side by side. As a result (and being an older hotel did not help), we had cigarette smoke to deal with for all five days. When I asked the manager about it, he said, "it probably comes in through the bathroom, doesn't it?" which indicated that he was aware of the problem. At times, we would walk in and it would smell like someone lit up in that very room. If you are a smoker, or don't mind the smell of other people's smoke, then you will be fine in this motel.

2 Thank kim0215