The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Richmond, VA
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Love the interior of the hotel and the shuttle service is great. The rooms are not anything special but they are clean and the service is good. I think the rate is a little high but the location for events is good.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Lynn K
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Lynn K, thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. I appreciate your kind words and will be sharing your review with our staff. If your travels return you to the Roanoke Valley, I hope you will again choose us for your accommodations. We look forward to serving you.

Gary Walton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just stayed the weekend at this enormous hotel in downtown Roanoke, Va., and it was a mixed bag for me. In fact, fair or unfair, I find myself rating this hotel at 3 stars probably because of the price. If the rooms were in the $70 range instead of the $200 range, I would probably be rating it 4 or 5 stars. It was our first time staying here, but we figured it was worth trying just once, even at those prices. Now that the weekend is over, I'm not so sure it's worth it, even at the discounted prices. On the one hand, it's a spectacular facility. The building, grounds, landscaping, historical and majestic ambience and grandeur, and friendly service and hospitality are all first rate. But in my humble opinion, there were a few things that were less than ideal, especially for that price range. I've stayed in a few (not that many) somewhat pricey and majestic hotels in Chicago, San Francisco, DC, and New York, and I understand that there may be some limitations to the experience. For instance, room size can be iffy in some older hotels. I was actually surprised by the adequate size of the rooms themselves (our group had five rooms, and I visited three of them). The bathrooms, on the other hand, were tiny and impractical. There was very little room for toiletries, so we had to use the living area for things we would normally keep in the bathroom. There was no exhaust fan, so after 10 minutes in a hot shower, even with the bathroom door open, it turned into a sauna. There's very little room to negotiate the tiny space between the shower and the bathroom door. And the water temperature was inconsistent, which is frustrating for me, as I prefer a long-ish hot shower. Ironing clothes was a challenge because of the floor space in relation to the available outlets. There's surprisingly no coffee in the lobby. Apparently, they want you to wait until the restaurant opens, then go in and pay premium breakfast rates for a full breakfast, rather than grabbing a free cup of coffee. Even $70 hotels have free coffee these days. Navigating this large facility can be a challenge, and the signage isn't particularly helpful. Even though there were constantly a dozen or more bellmen and staff people around, there were many times I saw elderly people having to open their own doors as they tried to get through the main entrance to the lobby. To me, that's inexcusable in this type of facility. Parking (and paying for parking) can be tricky here, at the roundabout in front of the main entrance, and in the large side lot. On Saturday night, the band (on the floor beneath our room?) was so loud it made it impossible to fall asleep for several hours. And my final criticism of this hotel has to do with a conversation I overheard between two employees early one morning. I went down to the back portion of the main lobby at 5:30am, and I overheard a conversation between two men, one of whom was periodically sweeping and/or mopping the floor, and the other of whom seemed to have similar duties. Let's just say it was a conversation they shouldn't have been having in earshot of a patron. The language was very "colorful," and very critical of hotel management. It sounds like my experience was all bad, but it wasn't. The service, first and foremost, was outstanding. Everywhere we went (with the exception of the two early am guys) there were friendly and helpful people. The folks at the front desk are especially friendly, helpful, and professional. And friendly service is very important to me. The location of the hotel is ideal if you are interested in experiencing downtown Roanoke. There's a very nice glass walkway that traverses the railroad tracks and takes you right to the heart of the shopping and restaurant district. And there's a beautiful old church (St. Andrews) about 2 or 3 blocks in the opposite direction. The grounds are exceptional, with nearly every blade of grass perfectly cut. There's a nice outdoor patio (actually much larger than a standard patio), with a fire pit that we enjoyed on a cool morning. The wedding and convention facilities appeared to be quite impressive. The hotel has a safe feeling about it, even later at night and earlier in the morning. As I said, it was a bit of a mixed bag for me, and I'm glad we tried it, but I don't know that I would stay there again, even at a discounted rate. The service was first-rate, and the grounds are outstanding, but there were some shortcomings, in my humble opinion.

Room Tip: The higher floors are probably significantly better for several reasons here.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear David H, thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. I apologize for the inconveniences experienced and these service issues will be addressed immediately. I appreciate the honesty and thoroughness and will be sharing your review with our staff. We would love to serve you again if your travels return you to the Roanoke Valley to show that the issues have been corrected.

Falls Church, VA, United States
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Charming and Elegant, but not presumptuous. Staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were immaculate and everything worked. Did not eat in dining room, but the food and drink in the Pub was excellent. Will come back.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank James S
Dear James S, thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. Thank you for the kind words and we look forward to serving you again the future.

Brevard, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a couple of nights in early April 2014. We only intended to stay one night, but our experience was so great, we extended our stay. The hotel itself is a beautiful, historic building, conveniently located close to restaurants and sightseeing right downtown in Roanoke. We had a beautiful nighttime view of the Roanoke Star from our room, as well. But what really makes this place a 5 Star is the people. Suzanne at the front desk made us feel like special guests being welcomed into a friend's home. She goes above and beyond in her friendliness and service and in the process creates an outstanding first impression for new arrivals. Then there is Charlie, the charming gentleman we got to chat with during the evening reception in the executive lounge. He is such an ambassador of good will and information. We hope to return soon!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BOBandBECKY
Dear bandbhiker, thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. It was wonderful to read the kind comments and I will be sure to pass them along to our teammates. I really enjoyed the pictures and feel your experience exemplifies what we strive for on a daily basis. We are honored to have you as a guest and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Historical properties can be wonderful places. This hotel looks like it has all it takes for a wonderful stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were not as large as I expected, but that happens in older locations. It was difficult to find our way around the corridors and hallways. Even our bell man said it took him several weeks to learn his way around.

We have a thing about being on a floor where emergency equipment can get to us if needed. One of us was the the MGM Grand two days before it burned, so while one never expects this to happen again, it is still hard to put it out of our minds.

We are sure this is a very nice place to stay, it was just not for us.

1 Thank Jack D
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Jack D, thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. I appreciate your honesty and it was a privilege to have you as a guest.

Centreville, Maryland
Reviewed 4 May 2014

When you arrive at this hotel, you'll be impressed. The valet staff quickly greet you and handle your luggage. The entrance is grand to say the least, lots of history when you step thru the door. Service is top notch. The rooms are ok, small, but nicely appointed. Our bed was a little soft for our liking but that's ok. The hotel can't please everyone, so it's understandable. There are no mini-fridges in the room, which I thought was odd in 2014. The grounds of the hotel are spectacular to say the least. There is a foot bridge that takes you over the railroad tracks right downtown, which was great. Lots to do downtown! We didn't eat at the hotel but we did have drinks at the pub, which were great. We'd be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mike H
Dear Mike H, thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that we will be able to serve you again when your travels return you to the Valley. While fridges aren't in the room, we do have them available.

Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

The old facade hides very comfortable rooms, but the real attraction is the staff. All were very helpful and very well informed. Everything arrived promptly and correctly. Excellent breakfast buffets at a reasonable price (for a hotel). And the hotel went out of its way for our small group (only 7 rooms on a weekend when they had 2 weddings and a prom going on).

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Douglas B
Dear Douglas B, thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. What a pleasure to read your review as we strive daily to present the absolute best in product, service and experience and it is wonderful to read it delivered for your stay. I hope if your travels return you to the Roanoke Valley, that you will again choose the hotel for your accommodations.