The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Baltimore, Maryland
“Hotel Roanoke”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

The Hotel Roanoke is an extremely well maintained hotel. The staff is extremely professional and friendly. The hotel is centrally located within walking distance to the center of the city. The location affords you the opportunity to dine in over a dozen very nice restaurants and cafes. If you have a child at Roanoke College this is the place to stay. I have been staying here for six years and have enjoyed every visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank LawrenceJulio
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear LawrenceJulio, thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. We appreciate your returned patronage and are honored to have you as a guest. Thank you for the kind words and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Gernal Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

From the valet to the housekeeping staff and everyone in between, the staff at this hotel made for an amazing weekend. The front desk was more than accommodating to my request for connect rooms. In many ways I was a high maintenance guest. I was sharing two rooms with my sister and brother in law and my young niece and nephew and hosting a reception in the Governor's Suite (where my mom was staying) for my cousins wedding. No matter the request I made the response was positive and timely. The staff went above and beyond and the food from the reception to room service was phenomenal. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone, whether for a meeting or banquet or just a weekend stay. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is a bad room. I was in two suites and four different guest rooms with variou...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Abbey W, thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. I will be sharing your review with our team as it exemplifies the service and experience we strive for on a daily basis. I hope if your travels return you to the Valley, we will again get the honor to serve you.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

First, I want to rate the front desk staff ten stars. The gal who checked me in was beyond amazing. I would hire her to work at my company any day. She knows what service is.

The rooms are ok and very clean, but nothing special.

The ambiance is very cool. Love the history of the hotel.

The reason I gave it two stars was based on my experience with the hotel's restaurants. I had a long day of travel, meetings and more travel. All I wanted was to sit down and grab a quick bite. I asked if there was anywhere close by to grab a nice "quick" meal that was not fast food. She recommended the two restaurants onsite. I went to the Pub, and sat for 5 minutes before I was even acknowledged. The waiter then came by and said he would be right back. He walked by me again on his way to run a credit card, when he could have easily stopped for a second to get my drink order or bring a water. I had to ask for a food menu.

I then asked to have the burger well done. I was informed that they will not serve it well done, only medium well. I thought he was being sarcastic and he then told me to look in the menu as it even says so. I have been to many places where it says it is cooked medium well but have never had anyone say they would not cook it all the way through. I cannot stomach pink meat. There was nothing else on the appetite that looked appeasing at that moment. I then asked for a manager. After about 10 minutes I was told that a manager was busy but the cook would agree to do a special order this one time for me. I said I was no longer interested in eating there and I would like the manager's name and contact information. I then had to wait as the bartender called I don't know how many people to get me a person's name.

I went to the front desk and asked for the general manager's name as I think it is the stupidest policy in the world that it cannot be cooked to order. The front desk person asked me if there was a problem and I said they would not serve a burger well-done. All three were blown away that they would not serve a burger well-done. I then went to the executive lounge where I had already been to grab a water. The gal said " you are back" and I told her way. Even she was shocked and another guest said she wouldn't eat there either as she only does well done.

So a simple request that I would think is a common request turned my stay from enjoyable to likely never staying there again and I am in the area 12 times a year. Looks like it will be back to staying at the Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Just don't eat at the restaurants.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel and restaurant. We’re very sorry that you were disappointed with your entrée, and we’ve shared your comment with our culinary team. We will be re-instituting training seminars based on the menus and can assure you this miscommunication will not happen again. The next time you’re in the area, we hope you’ll come back to see the changes we’ve made and tell us what you think. We want to provide you with the best guest experience. Thank you for helping us improve!

Richmond, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Love the interior of the hotel and the shuttle service is great. The rooms are not anything special but they are clean and the service is good. I think the rate is a little high but the location for events is good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Lynn K
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Lynn K, thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. I appreciate your kind words and will be sharing your review with our staff. If your travels return you to the Roanoke Valley, I hope you will again choose us for your accommodations. We look forward to serving you.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just stayed the weekend at this enormous hotel in downtown Roanoke, Va., and it was a mixed bag for me. In fact, fair or unfair, I find myself rating this hotel at 3 stars probably because of the price. If the rooms were in the $70 range instead of the $200 range, I would probably be rating it 4 or 5 stars. It was our first time staying here, but we figured it was worth trying just once, even at those prices. Now that the weekend is over, I'm not so sure it's worth it, even at the discounted prices. On the one hand, it's a spectacular facility. The building, grounds, landscaping, historical and majestic ambience and grandeur, and friendly service and hospitality are all first rate. But in my humble opinion, there were a few things that were less than ideal, especially for that price range. I've stayed in a few (not that many) somewhat pricey and majestic hotels in Chicago, San Francisco, DC, and New York, and I understand that there may be some limitations to the experience. For instance, room size can be iffy in some older hotels. I was actually surprised by the adequate size of the rooms themselves (our group had five rooms, and I visited three of them). The bathrooms, on the other hand, were tiny and impractical. There was very little room for toiletries, so we had to use the living area for things we would normally keep in the bathroom. There was no exhaust fan, so after 10 minutes in a hot shower, even with the bathroom door open, it turned into a sauna. There's very little room to negotiate the tiny space between the shower and the bathroom door. And the water temperature was inconsistent, which is frustrating for me, as I prefer a long-ish hot shower. Ironing clothes was a challenge because of the floor space in relation to the available outlets. There's surprisingly no coffee in the lobby. Apparently, they want you to wait until the restaurant opens, then go in and pay premium breakfast rates for a full breakfast, rather than grabbing a free cup of coffee. Even $70 hotels have free coffee these days. Navigating this large facility can be a challenge, and the signage isn't particularly helpful. Even though there were constantly a dozen or more bellmen and staff people around, there were many times I saw elderly people having to open their own doors as they tried to get through the main entrance to the lobby. To me, that's inexcusable in this type of facility. Parking (and paying for parking) can be tricky here, at the roundabout in front of the main entrance, and in the large side lot. On Saturday night, the band (on the floor beneath our room?) was so loud it made it impossible to fall asleep for several hours. And my final criticism of this hotel has to do with a conversation I overheard between two employees early one morning. I went down to the back portion of the main lobby at 5:30am, and I overheard a conversation between two men, one of whom was periodically sweeping and/or mopping the floor, and the other of whom seemed to have similar duties. Let's just say it was a conversation they shouldn't have been having in earshot of a patron. The language was very "colorful," and very critical of hotel management. It sounds like my experience was all bad, but it wasn't. The service, first and foremost, was outstanding. Everywhere we went (with the exception of the two early am guys) there were friendly and helpful people. The folks at the front desk are especially friendly, helpful, and professional. And friendly service is very important to me. The location of the hotel is ideal if you are interested in experiencing downtown Roanoke. There's a very nice glass walkway that traverses the railroad tracks and takes you right to the heart of the shopping and restaurant district. And there's a beautiful old church (St. Andrews) about 2 or 3 blocks in the opposite direction. The grounds are exceptional, with nearly every blade of grass perfectly cut. There's a nice outdoor patio (actually much larger than a standard patio), with a fire pit that we enjoyed on a cool morning. The wedding and convention facilities appeared to be quite impressive. The hotel has a safe feeling about it, even later at night and earlier in the morning. As I said, it was a bit of a mixed bag for me, and I'm glad we tried it, but I don't know that I would stay there again, even at a discounted rate. The service was first-rate, and the grounds are outstanding, but there were some shortcomings, in my humble opinion.

Room Tip: The higher floors are probably significantly better for several reasons here.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear David H, thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. I apologize for the inconveniences experienced and these service issues will be addressed immediately. I appreciate the honesty and thoroughness and will be sharing your review with our staff. We would love to serve you again if your travels return you to the Roanoke Valley to show that the issues have been corrected.

Falls Church, VA, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Charming and Elegant, but not presumptuous. Staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were immaculate and everything worked. Did not eat in dining room, but the food and drink in the Pub was excellent. Will come back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank James S
Dear James S, thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. Thank you for the kind words and we look forward to serving you again the future.

Brevard, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a couple of nights in early April 2014. We only intended to stay one night, but our experience was so great, we extended our stay. The hotel itself is a beautiful, historic building, conveniently located close to restaurants and sightseeing right downtown in Roanoke. We had a beautiful nighttime view of the Roanoke Star from our room, as well. But what really makes this place a 5 Star is the people. Suzanne at the front desk made us feel like special guests being welcomed into a friend's home. She goes above and beyond in her friendliness and service and in the process creates an outstanding first impression for new arrivals. Then there is Charlie, the charming gentleman we got to chat with during the evening reception in the executive lounge. He is such an ambassador of good will and information. We hope to return soon!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BOBandBECKY
Dear bandbhiker, thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. It was wonderful to read the kind comments and I will be sure to pass them along to our teammates. I really enjoyed the pictures and feel your experience exemplifies what we strive for on a daily basis. We are honored to have you as a guest and we look forward to serving you again in the future.