“Our Best US Stay in a Beautiful Grand Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton

The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Noosa, Australia
“Our Best US Stay in a Beautiful Grand Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2010

This is a beautifully restored grand old hotel built in 1862 which manages to uphold it's grace and old world charm. It is a hotel where the staff stop to speak with you and will shake your hand as you part company. There are rocking chairs on the verandah where one can spend a moment in quiet contemplation, or conversation. or perhaps sip on a mint julep from the adjacent bar.
It is easy to imagine the Grand Southern Style of days gone by in the large and sensitively furnished lobby. You simply must enjoy a dinner or breakfast in the gracious dining room.
Each room is different in shape, size and furnishing. The furnishings in our room, while modern, maintain the style and feel of this exquisite hotel. The beds were very comfortable with ample pillowing and quality linens.
The hotel is connected to downtown by a enclosed walkway. The grounds are beautiful and in keeping with the grandeur of the hotel and our boys enjoyed chasing the rabbits.
We have been traveling around the US East for 5 weeks and have previously spent the same period on the US West and this hotel has been our best hotelling experience.

This hotel is luxury at an affordable price. You simply must stay here.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank foxylynne
mquonce, public relations manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 19 April 2010
Dear Foxylynne, what an incredible review! We are so thankful to read such a review of the property and have shared the review with our staff. We hope you can get back to visit us again soon. Safe travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2010

This hotel surprised us. From teh outside it looks like a giant, classic, southern mansion. On the inside, the rooms were big and clean. They were dressed up for Christmas, and it was adorable.

The price was completely reasonable. We had a great overnight stay on our way to Asheville, NC, as the hotel is just off the highway.

I recommend this place because it was convenient and it was much better than expected!

Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank trip_1963
Dear Trip_1963, thank you for the review, we have shared it with our staff. We hope you can get back to Roanoke soon to experience all the wonders that southwestern Virginia has to offer. We hope to see you again soon! Safe Travels.
Cary, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2010

An elegant, well appointed, well staffed hotel. Conveniently located. We stayed in a suite, so we had an idealized view of the accommodations, but even with the higher rates, I though the place was a good price performer. The elevated walkway to the city market and its restaurants is particularly convenient. The fees for parking (it's not exactly a congested urban setting) and internet ($10 a day for a service) bother me a bit, but I'll get over it. All told, I highly recommend The Hotel Roanoke.

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jazzbass
Dear Jazzbazz, thank you for the recommendation and for choosing The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center for your accommodations. We will share your review with our staff and hope you can return to Roanoke soon. Safe Travels!
nashville tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2010

We stayed at the hotel for the NCAA Division III Final Four, as did the teams. The service was individual, friendly and excellent. Hotel is beautiful and very comfortable. Bar was fun for the groups to gather in the evenings. We will definitely stay there when we are in the area again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shoresideone
mquonce, public relations manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 23 March 2010
Dear shoresideone, congratulations on making it to the Final Four! We love hosting the teams that come each year and look forward to the live radio broadcast they do from The Pine Room every year. Its quite the accomplishment and we appreciate you choosing The Hotel Roanoke for your accommodations. We hope that you can make it back soon! Thank you for your review.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

We had the opportunity to stay here two nights while visiting relatives and I was delighted with our visit. I’d been to the hotel previously for brunch and for drinks, but never had the chance to stay in this beautiful, historic treasure.

Staff: From the second I pulled into the drive, the staff was attentive and responsive, but never overbearing or insincere. The valet was courteous and helpful as was the front desk staff. I was checked in quickly and received a nice room on the 3rd floor. While checking in, I could hear other staff members providing a high level of service to other customers.

Facilities: The hotel is beautiful. It is an old hotel and has a lot of charm and character. The public rooms could probably stand to be freshened up a bit, but to be honest, the facilities look distinguished rather than run down.

My room was very nice, with updated furnishings such as a flat screen TV and marble counter in the bathroom. The bed and pillows were comfortable and there was plenty of storage in the armoire and the bureau. The bathroom was roomy and comfortable with terrific Neutrogena products. I didn’t have to pay for internet but there is generally about a $10 charge.

The hallways have lots of old pictures of the hotel over the years and I could have wandered for hours looking at all of the old pictures.

The fitness center was huge and had numerous flat screen televisions and lots of new equipment. It was well maintained. The pool was closed when we were there (it was February) but the outdoor Jacuzzi was open and people were using it.

I didn’t eat in the restaurant or use the spa but know that the brunch on Sunday was completely booked.

Highlights: The history and beauty of the hotel impress me but the service is what would make me want to return. Every member of the staff I encountered was gracious and quick to offer help. For example, whenever I got my car, the valet asked if I needed directions and when I came back, I received a sincere “Welcome back!” I had to call the front desk a couple of times and was truly delighted by the professional and courteous service I received. The fact that it seemed so effortless leads me to believe that people working there enjoy what they are doing and are committed to providing a high level of service.

Areas for improvement: There was an error on my bill which was quickly resolved and almost by the time I hung up the phone, I had an updated bill slipped under my door. Some of the public areas could use some refinishing, but otherwise I get the impression this is a well run hotel with a dedicated and professional staff.

Overall impression: I love this hotel. I will definitely stay there again the next time I am in town and try out more of the services. I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

Nearby transportation: The hotel is connected to the downtown area by a walkway and is close to the main bus station in town. The airport is 10 minutes away by cab.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Watthree
Dear Watthree, thank you for the kind review! We love sharing in-depth reviews with our staff and appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. To give you an update, we have renovated our public areas and are currently undergoing a renovation to the conference center side of the hotel, brining the entire hotel up to date with modern amenities and renovations. We hope you can come back and visit soon. Safe travels!
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

I stayed for one night in the Hotel Roanoke. Our room was small, but well appointed. I enjoyed the coffee facilties in the room. The room was decorated individually and did not feel like a standard hotel room which was nice. The hotel was beautiful and very large. I really enjoyed the Christmas tree displays. The food at the hotel was wonderful. Breakfast was to die for. Everything you could want in a buffett. I enjoyed my stay and can't wait go back.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emmaline
Dear emmaline, thank you for your review and we can't wait for you to come back. We are glad you enjoyed the Fashions for Evergreens display. This is an annual event where proceeds benefit the United Way of the Roanoke Valley. Safe Travels!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2010

My husband and I stayed here with our two young children (a toddler and an infant) on December 26, 2009 after determining that Roanoke is the approximate halfway point for our trip from New York to Nashville. What a pleasant surprise! The hotel is an enormous tudor that is a significant part of the Roanoke skyline. The updates (I assume done when the hotel was acquired by Doubletree) are modern, yet the hotel retains its traditional look and atmosphere. The front desk was a bit slow, but not slow enough to truly warrant complaint. We booked a Queen room for a very reasonable price through the hotel's website but were upgraded to an extremely roomy and well-appointed suite with a large flat screen television in each of the two rooms. Furnishings were new and tasteful yet worked well with the character of the hotel. Even with two cribs, the bedroom was one of the more spacious I've stayed in. We ordered room service for breakfast and found the food very good and reasonably priced as compared to comparable hotels in larger cities. A nice bonus: the hotel was decorated to the nines for Christmas with a large number of trees decorated by local businesses. The location is very nice--walking distance to a pleasant downtown and numerous restaurants. It's also minutes from I-81. All in all, we were very impressed.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Sydneybluefrog
mquonce, Public Relations Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 23 March 2010
Dear Sydneybluefrog, we appreciate your review and are glad you could make it for holidays! While The Hotel Roanoke is great to visit year round, we certainly try to go out of our way to make the winter holiday season a sight to behold for all ages. We hope you have another chance to visit the area and are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. Safe travels.