“Average Sandwich”

Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
“Average Sandwich”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

This mom and pop deli fixed a decent sandwich but wasn't quite worth the off the beaten path drive. The club and rueben were good but I was extremely disappointed in the german potato salad. I expected the vinegary tang but ended up with boiled potatoes that were bland. The service was fair. I'm not sure why they took your glass to fill it up instead of bringing a pitcher to refill. The meat was lean and tasty. If kosher is your thing, it might be worth the drive.

Visited February 2014

“Roanoke landmark GREAT Subs!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

I'm not a big sub person, but this place has AMAZING sandwiches! Lots of food for the value, great sides too. Try the potato salad!

• Visited September 2013
Roanoke, Virginia
“Great food! A Roanoke institution.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

My first visit to the New Yorker was in 1978 before seeing Dr. Hook and Sha Na Na at the Roanoke Civic Center. I ordered the Sailor sandwich then and I still love it now. The New Yorker's sandwiches are filled and flavorful. Honestly, I've never had a disappointing sandwich at the New Yorker. If you like authentic deli meats and cheeses on fresh bread you can't go wrong here.

One thing to remember: no credit cards, so be sure you have cash.

• Visited February 2013
Salem, Virginia
“Great deli subs and great prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

One of the best old school delicatessens that I have been visiting since the early '80's. This is an iconic restaurant in Roanoke and they have always served the best in town. My favorites are the New Yorker Special and the Onion Wheel. If you are all about deli meat then the New Yorker is for you....4 meats on your choice of breads, I prefer the Rye bread. Tons of meat on each selection and great tasting slaw. Their German slaw is outstanding. Great beers and desserts to add to the great tasting food. Be sure to take cash because they do not take credit/debit cards. I always look forward to my deli subs at least twice a month. You will not be disappointed in the food or the price, most subs are under $7.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank David A
USA
“WOW! We love it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We arrived around 11:15 on Sunday morning. We were waited on quickly by a very friendly waitress and our food was out in about 10 minutes. The menu is extensive and very well priced. The service is great and if you are in a hurry, you can get in and out quickly. Our sandwiches were so good, we bought corned beef to take home for sandwiches that evening. I would highly recommend this place, it is super!

Visited July 2013

Been to New Yorker Deli & Restaurant? Share your experiences!