“just ok” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Boston
“just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

The room was clean but never got really warm and there was not enough bedclothes was was cold most of the night. It was very cold outside but the room never really felt warm. No hair dryer and had to plug my laptop into the bathroom plug --no other plug available. Nice desk person both evening and morning.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Bob S, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Roanoke North, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Hi, I'm not sure why your room was cold but we often have guests that have difficulty with the thermostat on the wall. We keep our hair dryers in the closet in the guest room. We have a plug on the lamp on the desk top in all of our rooms. Thank you for the comment on our desk staff. Please call down to our reception desk for any problems that you incur at any of our properties. We are happy to do our best to resolve any issues immediately in order for you to be comfortable.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Was driving home from Charlotte area and decided I had to stop. Checked in here to see how much it would cost. The receptionist gave me a great price and upgraded me to a nice room. Clean and comfortable and affordable. Close to 81 as well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Tampa, Florida, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

I liked the hotel. It was clean and comfortable except I am pretty sure we were overcharged. When we arrived the woman behind the desk could see we were very tired and not willing to go down the street for a lower priced room. We used a AAA discount and still paid almost $150 for one night.

One thing I would suggest, if you get a room on the second floor, make sure it is not where the front lights are shinning up into your room, they are very bright. I like darkness when I sleep.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front may have a bright light shinning in at night. Choose a different area of the hote...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

After reading some of the prior negative reviews, I was concerned about staying at this hotel, but being a Marriott platinum level, I thought I would take a chance and form my own opinion. I was upgraded to a suite which was a wonderful room. The staff was really friendly and helped with all of my needs. This property could upgrade their rating to excelllent if they would keep their coffee service warm and fresh all day and if they added a few things like cooked oatmeal to their breakfast menu. I was really pleasantly surprised and enjoyed my three day stay for business. By the way, the Valley View Mall (only about 4 miles away) has everything that anyone could want including a Panera, Starbucks, Barnes&Noble and most of the big department stores.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Berlin, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Friendly staff,very clean,spacious and comfortable room. For some unknown reason we were upgraded to a suite at no extra cost. The included breakfast was far more than the usual "continental". Will definitely stay here when in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

As a AAA Rep, I would recommend our members to stay at this hotel. Very Clean and updated hotel. Close to I-81. Comfortable beds, and very peaceful. Did not have a chance to have breakfast, but I'm sure it was good. I stay at a fairfield last fall, and my stay also was great there.
very satisfied.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Conveniently located to I-81 (very close to the exit), this hotel offers a decent room with a very comfortable bed. We arrived after a very long drive and were pretty exhausted and overtired. It was a chilly night. The bedcovers were quite thin and the heater was not working properly. I woke up freezing and could not get the heat to blow warm air. I called the front desk, the gentleman offered to come up and take a look at the heater. I declined the offer employing my general rule about letting strangers come into the room) but asked for some blankets. These promptly arrived and were really helpful.
I lay awake for awhile and could hear the buzz of trucks driving down the interstate. I wondered whether a room on the backside of the hotel would have been quieter. However, I finally fell into a sound sleep and awoke feeling refreshed. I welcomed the lovely mountain view when opening the curtains.
Before we continued on our roadtrip heading south, we drove a few miles on the ring road (581(?)) in Roanoke to get some Starbucks coffee (the coffee at the Fairfield is pretty weak) and pick up some snacks, which we did at a Walmart. Walmart also had very cheap gas!
Would I stay at this Fairfield Inn again? Probably not. If you are on the road and are not too fatigued, it is worth the effort to find a quieter place which has a newer HVAC system. Rates are probably lower for an equivalent hotel further from the Interstate exit too. I have to repeat though that the Fairfield desk clerk was very nice and I appreciated his bringing the blankets up promptly!

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the interstate may be a little quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family