“Not up to par....”

Ranked #17 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Ottawa, Canada
“Not up to par....”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

As rewards members we have stayed at many Marriott properties over the years. This Fairfield Inn was certainly a disappointment. There was no one at the front desk when we arrived, (we hollered) no warm welcome,and no cookies! After settling in our room and two trips to the desk to get our internet working we opened the curtains to discover a broken window that had been temporarily patched with packing tape. It is our opinion that this room should not be rented out until the window is replaced. The toilet paper holder was falling off the wall in the bathroom. Nearby restaurants were few and far between and the young lady at the desk could not recommend any.She was very helpful and apologetic with our internet problem. The room rate was higher than most Fairfields and they did not offer the senior or AAA discount that most others do. We did try to address our concerns to the manager but he was not available and the young lady was working alone and quite busy. All in all......we will not be staying at this property again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kedale
Bob S, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Roanoke North, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Hi,
I’m sorry that we do not offer cookies as we've chosen to provide juice and fruit instead.
Our clerk should have had our "we're away" sign up so you would know she stepped away for a minute and I apologize. I did notice that it was less than a minute from when you arrived to when the clerk returned, but I understand we did not meet your expectations upon arrival.
I'm not sure about what problems you may have had with the Internet as we have the best available bandwidth and saturation in the market. I see that you were able to get connected after speaking with our clerk. You can always call the desk or the support technician's number provided on the desk in the room for assistance.
I'm sorry if our clerk neglected to inform you of the cracked window. We, as you stated, have temporarily taped the inside single pane in a double paned window, until the glass our installer ordered arrives. Because it doesn't pose any danger, we are able to rent the room, but you should've been informed.
The price of the room is very competitive for our market and we do not price our hotel against other Fairfield Inns that are not in our competitive market set. We were running a lower rate for the weekend you stayed with us so we did not offer discounts on a discounted rate.
I’m sorry that I was not available Sunday morning to discuss your concerns as I am off on most Sundays. I’m always happy to discuss ways we can improve and I appreciate you taking the time to help us to do so.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Effingham, New Hampshire
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed here for two days in March. Ive stayed in many fairfield hotels all over the north east and I found this to be one of the better ones. It was clean modern and the staff was very friendly. I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Bob S, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Roanoke North, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We love to hear that we've met expectations!
North Cornwall Township
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

We checked the review and selected this hotel based on Trip Advisor's positive comments. If we would have wanted a two star hotel, we would not have paid for this one listed at 3. If this was an $89 per night room, we would not have minded, but we paid $159 per night for our 3 night stay.

The people were VERY nice and tried . However, when we checked in, our original room had a broken window and big hair clumps in the shower. The kind staff moved us... Our new room had a damaged shower curtain and toilet paper dispenser. The breakfast was never really stocked well (cold gravy, missing biscuits, watery eggs, etc...- 3 days in a row). AND, on our first morning, we didn't get out until close to 10 am and they didn't change the sheets or clean the room (they left a note saying that we were in the room and they could not come in to clean it)- we were out of the room before 10am. Disappointing stay:(

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Bob S, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Roanoke North, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Hi, I'm sorry you felt our Hotel was overpriced. Thank you for the comment about our friendly staff. I apologize for any deficiencies that you discovered during your stay. We were happy to give you the upgrade to the King suite because of the problems you found with the first room. Thank you for letting us know about your stay and we will use your comments to help us to improve going forward. Please, in the future, let us know anything we can do to make you more comfortable while you're in the hotel. We are happy to address any concerns any of our customers have immediately.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This is a great hotel -- it is a remodeled Fairfield Inn & Suites, so it has a modern, clean vibe to it. I am a platinum Marriott member, so I stay at Springhill Suites and Fairfield Inns A LOT...and this is a good one (and ick, there are some bad ones)....Let's see - the gym is really nice at this hotel: 2 nice treadmills with working tvs on them, an elliptical with a tv, a weight bench, and free weights. It is clean and bright. Loved it. Also, there are a lot of t.v. channels - not just 14 ESPNs and Fox news, but Bravo and HGTV and all the other woman business traveler channels! lol! The beds and pillows are comfy, the hair dryer is powerful...and the staff is friendly. What else do you need? Loved it, no worries.

Room Tip: I was by the elevator and didn't hear a thing - no worries.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank KBoogie
Boston
Reviewed 24 January 2014

The room was clean but never got really warm and there was not enough bedclothes was was cold most of the night. It was very cold outside but the room never really felt warm. No hair dryer and had to plug my laptop into the bathroom plug --no other plug available. Nice desk person both evening and morning.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Bob S, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Roanoke North, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Hi, I'm not sure why your room was cold but we often have guests that have difficulty with the thermostat on the wall. We keep our hair dryers in the closet in the guest room. We have a plug on the lamp on the desk top in all of our rooms. Thank you for the comment on our desk staff. Please call down to our reception desk for any problems that you incur at any of our properties. We are happy to do our best to resolve any issues immediately in order for you to be comfortable.
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Was driving home from Charlotte area and decided I had to stop. Checked in here to see how much it would cost. The receptionist gave me a great price and upgraded me to a nice room. Clean and comfortable and affordable. Close to 81 as well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I liked the hotel. It was clean and comfortable except I am pretty sure we were overcharged. When we arrived the woman behind the desk could see we were very tired and not willing to go down the street for a lower priced room. We used a AAA discount and still paid almost $150 for one night.

One thing I would suggest, if you get a room on the second floor, make sure it is not where the front lights are shinning up into your room, they are very bright. I like darkness when I sleep.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front may have a bright light shinning in at night. Choose a different area of the hote...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family