“The price when compared to value just isn't realistic”

Frankie Rowland's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Frankie Rowland's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 474 Restaurants in Roanoke
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Salem Ave.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“The price when compared to value just isn't realistic”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I'll start with the positive. Décor is just as you would expect for a high quality steakhouse - very nice. Also, the staff was very accommodating and the service was prompt. We had dinner with multiple couples and never felt rushed.

The food though - I just couldn't get excited about it. When my check breaks that $100.00 per person threshold (not including tip), my expectations run high and the entrée simply did not stand up to the test. Oh, and by the way - breaking that $100.00 threshold is pretty easy to do. My "medium" steak was medium rare at best. I didn't finish it. Unheard of for me. Same for my wife. Interestingly, another review submitted just a few days ago said the exact opposite; his medium steak was "crunchy." So there may be some kitchen inconsistencies at work here. Otherwise, appetizers, sides, and desserts were prepared well. A couple of interesting choices, but pretty much the items you would expect to see.

Overall it was a fair experience at best. Our group had a good time and felt attended to throughout the evening, but we certainly were not "WOW'D" by the food.

• Visited February 2014

“Unbelievable Steakhouse!”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This establishment brings back old-school ambiance. From the beautiful, classy wood interior to a wait staff of 5 per table, one cannot go wrong with any selection on the menu. From their incredible Oysters Rockefeller to the perfectly aged rib-eyed steak with potatoes Au gratin, to the succulent Pineapple Martini, one will not mind the price! Probably Roanoke's most finest restaurant!

• Visited December 2013
Shady Spring, WV
“Great Dining Experience - Slightly overpriced.”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My husband and I ate here this past weekend along with some friends for several birthday celebrations. We had a very good time! We ordered the tomato & fresh mozzarella salads and they were very good. The tomatoes had great flavor considering it is the winter time! Our table also ordered the lobster, a rib-eye steak, scallops, rack of lamb, and the special tomahawk steak. Everyone really enjoyed each entrée! The scallops were fabulous and we were really glad that our server recommended them!

Our only complaint was the tomahawk steak. We ordered it Pittsburgh rare, which we typically love at other restaurants. However, this steak just tasted burnt. The top was charred so much that the steak was actually more of a medium than rare. We didn't eat much of it since it was burnt and the management deducted a portion of our bill. We were happy with that.

We would definitely come back to this restaurant. Be prepared to stay a while though. It took our party of 6 over 3 hours to dine.

• Visited February 2014
Garner, North Carolina
“Overpriced quantity over quality”
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

I was in town on business. The locals raved over this place. Small, noisy, food was good. Order your steaks two levels more rare than you prefer. Medium is black and crunchy. I would not spend my money here. I can only assume options in Roanoke are limited. This place would never survive in raleigh, Charlotte, Richmond or DC. They do try to make up for it with quantity. I was thankful for that as I could eat around the crunchy parts of my medium ribeye.
I guess it's just not for everyone. Don't plan on anything quick, there will be plenty of drinking time.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank waxrash
Richmond, Virginia
“Outstanding but Pricy”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

The steaks are a cut above almost any you have ever had. The service is usually over the top and the sides are great for sharing. But save your money for the special night out because you will need it. But go anyway. You will not be disappointed.

Been to Frankie Rowland's Steakhouse? Share your experiences!