“Great food but stuffy, outdated decor”
Review of Stephen's Restaurant - CLOSED

Stephen's Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 May 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying the food here was excellent, with the bread being especially good. The service was reasonable and the prices a bit on the high side. With that said, the place looks rundown on the outside and the decor looks like someplace my grandma would choose. Update the decor to something from the 21st century and this place would be five stars.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

I have heard about Stephen's for years but since we live in Blacksburg, we don't get to Roanoke for dinner all that frequently. Anyway, we decided to go last Saturday night and were both blown away by the experience. First, the dining room is very nice, definitely warranting more dressy wear and we were seated at a table for two that gave us some nice privacy. The service was unhurried, yet efficient. I had the blackened sashimi yellowfin tuna off the specials menu and it was fabulous along with a jambalaya rice cake with shrimp and andouille sausage. My husband had the rockfish and while the sauce was different than what he expected, he said it was very good. The blue cheese dressing was very good as well. We both opted for dessert, my husband had the Chocolate pots du creme which he loved and I had the decadent bread pudding which is a weakness of mine and was wonderful. One thing that stood out to me was how inexpensive the wine choices were, many of the bottles were less than $30 which is unheard of in most restaurants. I would highly recommend Stephen's, particuarly if you are a seafood "foodie." We will definitely return!

1  Thank Luv2g0lf
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I am allergic to seafood, but since I am the only one in my family with this problem I have the unique opportunity to try steaks at seafood restaurants! I have eaten a lot of steaks in my day and Stephen's has one of (if not THE) best filets I have ever had. At a seafood place!! Service is always impeccable and my family loves the crab cakes and lobster bisque. A delightful ending to the meal was the coffee. They brought out a beautiful little tray of assorted sugars, cinnamon sticks, milk and cream that made a simple cup of coffee an absolute delight. Fantastic place and I urge you to go!

1  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Selected Stephens to go out on evening before Easter and it was a great selection. If you desire good fresh seafood in Roanoke this is the place. I had Virginia founder with oysters and it was wonderfully prepared. My wife had an equally excellent meal. The lobster bisque was perfectly prepared with large chunks of lobster. Wine selection is very good as well.

1  Thank careyhc
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Stephen's is an amazing little restaurant we have enjoyed many times, and will enjoy many times ahead. The fish is always beautifully prepared and cooked perfectly, and the Louisiana touches add a sublime effect to the flavors of all the dishes.

Must tastes: Crawfish Etoufee and the Redfish if it is available. Also, if you see the sign out front advertising softshell crabs, call and go that night! They are simply outstanding!

The family that owns Stephen's will treat you like a welcomed friend every time you visit, and the service is always perfect. The wine list is absolutely solid.

The only criticism I would offer: The do not change the menu. I'd like to see a little more variety in their offerings.