“A Perfect Evening”
Review of Alexander's

Alexander's
Reserve with OpenTable
Alexander's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 489 Restaurants in Roanoke
Price range: US$18 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Campbell/Salem
Transit: Adjacent to City Bus Station and Smart Bus from VA Tech, Blacksburg & New River Valley
Description: We are SW Virginia's dining destination located next to the Farmer's Market, Hotel Roanoke Conference Center and the Taubman Museum of Art. Alexander's is an oasis for casual upscale dining. Focusing on superb ingredients; fish, seafood, prime quality Virginia aged meats and locally sourced organic produce, our cuisine showcases years of collaboration among some of the most talented chefs of our region. We have been selected two years in a row as one of the Top 100 Restaurants in the US by OpenTable.
Reviewed 23 October 2010

My husband and I ate dinner here last night with two old friends and couldn't have been more delighted. Although the wine list included some very expensive bottles, the staff was very helpful and friendly when we asked for a bottle around $25 (they were not snooty at all) (I hate paying more than $30 for a bottle) and the wine was a real find. The ambiance was quiet and intimate and relaxed and the staff acted like the table was ours for as long as we wanted it. It couldn't have been a better venue for old friends to catch up. The food was fabulous, and the presentation was great. All 4 of us were very pleased. To the reviewer who said Alexander's charges NY or DC prices, I say: "Ha!", "Pffft!", and "Huh?" My husband and I just ate in Bethesda (DC suburbs) a few weeks ago and paid exactly double for the same quality, and DC would have been even more. We were shocked when we picked up the tab for four people and paid what we would normally pay for two.

travelhound4242, Manager at Alexander's, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2010

Thank you so much for your compliments and for your supportive words. Customer satisfaction via quality cuisine and service is our top priority! We hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 28 September 2010

I live in Roanoke and probably eat at Alexander's multiple times a year. The food has always been some of the best in Roanoke. It is consistent and of the highest quality. I travel to DC,New York and Chicago regularly and it rates highly ,compared to larger municipalities. I was shocked by the review that ranked it so low. Did they actually eat there? I dont believe it.

1  Thank burnbrae

Thank you so much for your compliments and for your supportive words. The staff at Alexander's is commited to delivering an exceptional dining experience to all of our customers at a reasonable price. We appreciate all of the customers who take the time to give us feedback. Thank you!

Reviewed 18 July 2010

We went here with high hopes based on reviews but they disappeared quite quickly. If they are going to charge the prices they do then they must offer a level of service commensurate with them. That means when the host seats you they have menus in their hands as well as a wine list to be offered the guests. We not only waited 20 minutes for any menu but we had to ask for them. I was ready to walk out by then and should have. By the time the waitress came to take our order people who had come in after us already had a chilled bottle of wine and their order taken by their waiter. We, on the other hand had nothing but water.

Where do I begin with the food? The Crabcake appetizer was simply the worst I have had in my 50 years and it is a staple when I eat out. It not only tasted like a Tuna Melt but it was the same consistency. Thin and watery inside. My husband is nowhere near as finicky as me and he agreed that it was horrible. For my entree I ordered the Pecan Crusted Chicken. It was as the most bland dish I have ever eaten at any restaurant. I may as well have stayed at home and made myself boiled chicken. The flavor would have been comparable. Again I let my husband sample it. His wrinkled up nose and eeewwww remark said it all. We hoped that it was only that they forgot an important ingredient which would have added some actual flavor but somehow I thihk that is not the case.

Perhaps we are spoiled because we have eaten at restaurants all over the world. We know this is Roanoke but they are charging NY and D.C. prices and we expected so much better both in terms of service and food. The staff was friendly enough but that could never make up for the faults of this restaurant. Here is how it is done at this level of dining - host/hostess seats you, hands you menus at the same time (this gives you the chance to review it before wait staff comes) and also offers a wine list. Within about 10 minutes someone returns to take the wine and or drink order. Then wait staff comes to take your order. By this time you have water, wine and bread. You are happy. None of this happened and was unforgiveable. Yes, we left a tip (despite our disdain) and no we will not be back.

1  Thank rocnative
bbmeagher, Owner at Alexander's, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2010

I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the food at Alexander's. I also regret that you do not live in the area in order to invite you to return for another dinner as our guest.

Would you kindly provide the date of your dinner? If I know the date I can identify the staff and perhaps determine what went wrong that evening. I also wonder if you mentioned anything to your server or the manager that evening?

Our best regards,
Alexander's

Reviewed 18 April 2010

Absolutely exceptional, the best restaurant meal we've had in a long time. Quality was superb, and after I told the server that I had the appetite of two people, she made sure that I had plenty of bread and an extra side to fill me up.

Reviewed 5 March 2010

I ate here recently and was quite surprised to find such a great place in a town with few upscale restaurants available. The menu was tailored to the local tastes, but included all the normal fare (beef, fish, chicken, etc).