“Needs better service”

Macado's
Ranked #260 of 544 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: Deli
Reviewed 25 June 2018

For starters, I think the wait staff needs to start writing down orders instead of relying on memory. They always seem to screw our order up.
Ordered two of the same sandwiches and got on missing one of the key toppings. How does that happen?
Wait times seem to be getting longer, even when they are dead.
Staff is starting to become inattentive. Having to yell hello when waiting to be seated just to get someone's attention and then having to wait a while just for drinks. All of this could be understandable if they were busy, but we always try to go when they aren't.
Food is touch and go. Some days everything seems to fall in place and other are a complete train wreck. Either because the server put the order in wrong, the cook can't read or they simply don't know what goes on a particular dish. How do you screw up a plain cheeseburger???
I really hope things turn around as I'd hate to stop going there. Have been visiting Macado's for over 30 yrs now, but they are making me consider other places. And one person in our party stated they'd never be back.

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

Macado’s has been one of my very favorite places in the world since high school. I’m now 53. I don’t even need a menu, the Coney Island has been my “go-to” for 30 years and had it again today. As much love as I have for this place, they need to get it together. The place was so dirty today we almost left. We had to pick pickles and lettuce out of our seats before we could sit down. It wasn’t just our table. You could similarly see food on the floor and under other tables This may sound picky, but if that’s the level of cleanliness of what I see, I’m afraid of what I don’t see. Macado’s is truly a city icon here. I hope they get it together with a broom and some elbow grease.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

Been eating at Macados since way back in the "80s. Always good! So glad it hasn't gone down hill the way so many of the other older eateries in Roanoke. This time I had the Crazy Chris wrap--buffalo chicken, provolone, lettuce, tomato, and ranch dressing--with potato salad--which was homemade with the skin still intact (awesome!).

Matthew P, Public Relations Manager at Macado's, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

Thanks for the review! You might also like our Buffalo Cobb Salad which is a seasonal item on our Summer Menu. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Family met up for vollyball tournament. 6 adults and 2 teens enjoyed a nice lunch. Variety of food was wonderful and everyone enjoyed the food! Service was good, food was fresh and will go again!

Reviewed 14 January 2018

We were traveling and stopped here for lunch. There were 8 in our party, and we had to sit at a booth and a table, as they could not accommodate a group that large together. That was fine as they were right across from each other. Server was a little slow with our drinks, and when she delivered them, one was incorrect. She corrected it and took our appetizer order. She brought 2 of the three appetizers in a timely manner and never returned with the third. AN HOUR later we had to go to the kitchen entrance and ask where our food was, we were advised burgers take that long to cook. About 10-12 minutes later, server arrived with our food. Out of the 8 meals ordered, 3 were incorrect! 2 were easy fixes, raw onions instead of grilled and mayo instead of mustard of another, but the THIRD order was not even what was ordered! We took it as we had been there for a very long time. As we had been there much longer than we had ever planned to, we asked for 3 boxes so that we could get on our way. Server never returned with them. We had to go ask the host for them. When our checks arrived, they were handed out incorrectly and the server took 3 of the payments and never returned, so we had to take the other checks and cash to the front counter to pay our bills and retrieve the others' debit cards. The only reason this is one rating is because it must be rated to complete. The food was good, but the service destroyed what could have been an amazing experience. Please train your servers!

Been to Macado's? Share your experiences!