“Needs repairs and I would not return”

Comfort Suites Inn at Ridgewood Farm
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Salem
Richmond VA
“Needs repairs and I would not return”
Reviewed 27 August 2008

Hot tub did not work
TV was missing 48 of 58 channels
No ironing board
Leaking ceiling in bathroom
Heat lamp did not work
Key card lock was turned off at side entrance
Questionable to call the rooms suites

The first thing I noticed was that the outdoor hot tub had a cover over on it and stayed that way for the 3 days I was at the hotel. It seemed strange that it was not temporarily out of service but either they did not bother to have it repaired or not did not want to deal with maintaining it. It is possible to note this on the hotel's website and it seems like false advertising.
Next when I went to my room there were 2 TV's. One was not plugged in and the other only got 10 of the 60 channels listed on the channel guide. The room also did not have an ironing board or iron. I told the front desk about the problem and I was moved to another room.
In the 2nd room the sound of dripping coming from the bathroom woke me up at 4:30 am. I noticed there was water dripping from the ceiling and the bathroom floor was all wet. The ceiling looked damaged as if this had been going on for a while but had not been fixed. I left for work in the morning and when I returned in the afternoon I told them that the ceiling leaked. They said the hotel was full and I could not change rooms that night but I could on the next night. I do not believe this because I did not see enough people in the hotel for it to be completely booked.
In addition to this the heat lamp in the bathroom did not work. The side entrance to the first floor did not require key card which seems like a security problem. I was concerned since my room was about 5 doors down from this entrance.
The rooms were large but I dont think they qualify as suites. The Holiday Inn in the Salem has rooms that are about the same size with sofas but not called suites. These rooms do not have a separate room in addition to the bedroom. Typically that is a suite.
Overall this hotel seemed like it was nice when it was newer but had not been maintained by the management. It has the potential to be a nice place if repairs are made but I won't be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 25 February 2008

stayed here 2 nights during an area power outage. good hotel overall as is the area, but I was told by a front desk employee that she was putting me in a suite after I told her I was traveling with a family of 4. The room was NOT a suite, just a large room. couldnt move as the property was sold out. Don't be decieved by the "all suites" claim.

• Liked — breakfast and cleanliness of hotel
  • Disliked — lack of honesty about room type
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
virginia
Reviewed 18 August 2006

Nice place to stay, but starting to show soom signs of wear. Could use a little touching up. The room was clean and comfortable. Nice standard size. Staff was friendly. The breakfast was so-so, could do better, but will work if you don't feel like going out to the near-by Mc'D or other chain's not far from hotel. Nothing special, but will do if you just need a place for a night or 2. Price wise, it was about average for the area.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — aaa
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
1 Thank Travelten
Woodstock, VA
Reviewed 1 August 2006

This is a good place to stay...affordable prices, clean rooms. For non-smoker, the outdoor pool area is not the greatest. This area is not designated no smoking, during our visit there were a lot of smokers around the pool and we are not smokers, so we did not enjoy this. This motel offers wireless internet and cables if needed, but they do not have but a very few cables that can be signed out. Also, the heat lamp in the bathroom did not have a bulb in it...when we inquired about it we were told they were out of stock and had been out for quite a while. Staff was friendly and accomodating.

• Liked — Good rates, clean rooms
  • Disliked — Availability of cables for internet usage, People smoking in pool area
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 April 2006

My family of 5 has stayed at this property at least 7 times. Up to now we have always been pleased. The last two stays (0ct, of '05) and now we were not pleased with the service of the staff. We arrived at 10:30 and needed a fifth pillow. The front desk said that housekeeping was locked, so she located a lumpy pillow with no case for us to use. The next day I called and requested an ironing board as someone has removed the one in our room. The staff sounded disgruntled and did not produce an iron unti the next day after another phone call. We experienced little things like our room key would not work at 10pm at night. I was told that it had expired. HUH? Overall our 3 night stay will be our last at this property. They have a nice setup but seem to not want to pay staff or keep up the rooms. We visit Roanoke 3+ times a year and are loyal. We had a grim exoerience at this hotel in October and thought we would give them another try. We did and they were worse this visit.

• Stayed April 2006
Buffalo, Missouri
Reviewed 28 March 2006

Just returned from a three night stay at this motel and we really enjoyed it. It is four miles off the interstate but easy to find. It is convienent to all of Roanoke, especially the VA Hospital and Lewis Gale Hospital. Quiet rooms--great views. I wish we had been there for the summer so we could have used the pool.
Could use better pillows and the windows in the rooms washed so you could see the views. Other than that, no complaints. I highly recommend this motel; we've stayed close to the airport and close to the interstate in Roanoke before---this was the best.

• Stayed March 2006
1 Thank chevybb
Reviewed 18 December 2005

We've stayed in numerous Comfort Suites over the the years and this property blows the rest away. Only thing I didn't like was the pillows. Rooms are huge, well kept and well appointed. We'll go back to this one.

• Stayed December 2005
2 Thank suburbantoo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salem
La Quinta Inn Roanoke Salem
Cambria Hotel & Suites
Cambria Hotel & Suites
#4 of 40 in Roanoke

Been to Comfort Suites Inn at Ridgewood Farm? Share your experiences!