“Mixed messages”
Review of Motel 6

Motel 6
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed 29 January 2013

If you want a clean, attractive place to stay this isn't it. Motel is old. For me the redeeming feature was a door to outside rather than a inside corridor. Rooms had fridge and microwave. According to the Choice Privileges web site where I booked my stay there was a continental breakfast. Don't believe it. Not even a coffee pot in room or lobby. If you want coffee there is a 24 hour waffle house or something similar next door. I got in late and was tired - room was damp and cold. Turned heat on high and finally took covers off bed and slept in my cloths. Soft damp spots in the floor, TV worked but remote didn't and the water in the tub dripped all night even though I tried to turn it off all the way. Toilet flushing was iffy. I had stayed in this place 16-18 years ago and had been snowed in for three days with some friends. We had a great time. This trip managed to remove all good memories of the motel. Thank goodness I still have the friends I was snow bound with and the Shoneys down the road has kept up with the times and is still great. Lots of other motels/hotels on this strip so don't get stuck here.

Room Tip: There are no redeeming features to this motel except if you like a outside door so you don't hav...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Betty G
There are newer reviews for Motel 6

Reviewed 29 December 2012

I walk into motel and the representative was blasting his personal music on his lap top and doesn't turn it down for us to talk. I asked the rate and he said $49.99 plus tax and hands me a paper to fill out. This form required my name address and phone number (all fine) as well as my drivers life lisense number!? I filled it all out and handed it back. I asked the representative if there was a AAA membership discount and the representative (and I'm not joking) raises his voice and yells "THIS IS THE LOWEST RATE!" I was like ok wow got it thanks. He then asked me for my credit card and says "that will be 59.99" and I go I thought you said 49.99? He goes "plus tax" I'm like really?? but ok whatever... I see that he is not swiping my credit card but writing my credit card # on the paper which includes all of my personal information. It is a known fact that no legitimac BBB business never writes down your credit are info! Its a huge security risk! I asked why he would need to write my credit # down and he said that's just how they do it.L and showed me a pile of orber peoples credit card #'s! I advised him that that is a very poor idea as anyone could break in and steal that info! I immediately asked for my card and that piece of paper back and left. THIS PLACE HAS POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND ADDITONALLY OPERATES ITS BUSINESS IMORRALLY. DO NOT GO HERE.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Morgs909
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I stayed here one night in August 2012 the gentlemen who booked my room was so polite and very helpful, the room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. I had driven around all the others were booked or were very expensive this was half what other hotels wanted and I have stayed in others in Blacksburg, I will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ferralls
Reviewed 15 August 2012

This property had a two star rating, but the rater must have seen it twenty years ago.

When a hotel has people living their year-round, it tells you something.

The place smells, the beds were old, the paint was peeling in the bathroom, and we did not feel safe.

We turned our key in and got a refund, and stayed at a real hotel (quality) down the road.

Do not say here. Period.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2012

While traveling back from a wonderful vacation in South Carolina, we needed to find a basic motel room to spend the night. Since I was doing the driving, my husband offered to take care of it. The motel was inexpensive, especially with the discount coupon. Although our room was nonsmoking, it had obviously been a smoking room in a previous life . The chairs were stained and the furnishings outdated. The beds were comfortable and the shower had good pressure with plenty of hot water, but the carpet....all I can say is "GROSS!" Perhaps the carpet is where the cigarette smoke smell came from!
There are several other lodging options at that exit. I would recommend you try one ot those. Needless to say, my husband will not be in charge of lodging next year!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This was a basic room which is what we expected for the price. It was clean and larger than your average "budget" room. The heating was noisy (like an old boiler) and guests in other rooms were noisy but the room itself was quite satisfactory for our one-night stay.

The hotel is within sight of the highway, so for those traveling it's a great location, and there are many and varied places to eat within sight of the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The room was cheap enough with the coupon from the motel discount coupon book. It was very outdated. The carpet was worn and faded. Porcelain had scraped off the sink. The shower head was broken, and was stuck on one of the massage settings. Mattresses were hard as a rock, and the pillows were flat as pancakes.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family