“More than we expected”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Salem
Virginia
“More than we expected”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I recently stayed here with two teenagers. I had reserved standard 2 Q room, they gave us a larger room with a sitting area and pull out couch, and a small kitchen area. The boys appreciated that they didn't have to sleep in the same bed. The bathroom was clean, the bedding was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was average, no complaints.

The only thing I was unhappy with was the carpet in my room. It was visibly in need of a shampoo.

We will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salem, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear dbjmp,

Thank you for telling us about our visit with us. We hope you and your sons enjoyed your time in Salem. We strive to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you for your feedback. We will pass it on to our staff. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Ellijay, Georgia
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on April 7, 2014. We were assigned room 115. While I was in the fitness room, a man entered our room while my wife was laying down. She was obviously frightened. He said he was assigned room 115. When I returned to the room, my room key wouldn't work and my wife didn't answer my knocks. I went to the front desk only to find my wife there. She was told we had been "transferred" to room 315, although we had never been told, nor did we ever physically move. We knew nothing about being "transferred"--it was just on paper. My wife was given new keys to room 115. In the morning, we got our bill but it had a different name on it, but our address and credit card. We went to the front desk in an attempt to straighten it out but it just got worse. We were told we were in room 315. I was assured that everything would be corrected, however today I noticed on my credit card three separate charges to Holiday Inn Express. I called the hotel but was placed on indefinite hold. I might also mention that although the hotel bills itself as "new", the heat didn't work, the refrigerator didn't work (later found to be unplugged behind the TV), the ice machine was missing a grate, and the pancake machine didn't work. I found the staff to be fairly arrogant and apathetic. I could never recommend this place to anyone

Room Tip: I just wouldn't stay here.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank george j
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salem, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear george j,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very sorry to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed here with reservations to rest to split our long trip in half. The staff was nice, and they had chocolate chip cookies if we wanted any in the eating area. There was also a basket of fruit. The rooms were clean. We actually ended up by the elevator. I didn't click on preference for location. Being by the elevator was not bad, because at that time it wasn't much traffic. In the morning time is when it gets busy, but by then I was checking out the breakfast. They had pancakes, cereal, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, toast, bagels, muffins, juice, milk, cinnamon rolls, bacon, and sausage. I may have missed something, but you get the point.

Room Tip: Although when I was staying it wasn't a problem, but choose a room away from the elevator. I kn...
Dear Pocahontas04,

Thank you so much for telling us about your visit with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed the amenities that the hotel has to offer. We will pass this great feedback on to our staff. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Maryland
Reviewed 31 March 2014

On a trip to Charlotte from Maryland, we stopped at this hotel overnight to rest. The hotel was excellent and the complimentary breakfast was outstanding. There was a young lady who worked in the breakfast area that was just so hospitable that it made our overnight stay that much better. We stayed there on Thursday Night of March 20th. When we come again, we will shortly use this hotel.

Dear Ronniestew,

Thank you so much for telling us about your visit with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast. We are always trying to find ways to make this service better. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and it was a very good experience. The staff was friendly and the hotel was very clean and quiet. The breakfast area was large and well-cared for. The breakfast buffet was the usual HIE and was kept well supplied. I definitely recommend staying here,

Dear Tammy,

Thank you for telling us about your visit with us. We are so glad that you and your family stayed with us. We hope that you and your family enjoyed Salem. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Salem, Virginia
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Stopped without reservations late at night and the Staff was friendly and efficient. Rooms were very comfortable and very clean. Staff let us borrow a snow scraper from her car the next morning. Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Hayeskm,

Thank you for telling us about your visit. We are so glad that we could accommodate you during stay in Salem. We are so glad that you chose us. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

cape may nj
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I purchased this room for my son and his family after hitting a bad snow storm. This hotel was very close to route 81 in salem virginia. They unfortunately didn't have enough money to purchase this room. I called and booked the room over the phone and the staff was very helpful and allowed me to book the room without having to actually show them the credit card. My son and his fiance were extremely happy with the hotel and were able to enjoy a nice breakfast before getting back on the road. They also helped my husband and I have peace of mind knowing they were out of the of the bad weather and off the roads until it was safe. Kudos to the Holiday inn.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salem, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear lisacape,

Thank you so much for telling us about your family's stay. We are so glad that we could help them out during the snow storm. We are so glad that we could be there for you, and your family. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. We hope that you may consider us again in the future.

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salem
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Hampton Inn Salem
Quality Inn
#6 of 13 in Salem
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Roanoke
Baymont Inn & Suites Salem Roanoke Area

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salem? Share your experiences!