“ok pizza that could be much better”
Review of Mamma's Pizza

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mamma's Pizza
Ranked #35 of 105 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Went with a group of four this Saturday evening. After a weekend of VA Tech graduations we needed a little later nourishment. Mamas was across the street from our hotel. My wife and I split a Greek salad, and a small prosciutto , mushroom and garlic pizza. One member of party had a Stromboli and the other two had eggplant parm and a Greek salad.

The Stromboli was probably the best of the meals. Pasta on the eggplant parm was overlooked and the tomato sauce was ok, but nothing great. The pizza was technically near perfect but lacked a depth of flavor.
I live in the Boston, New York via Connecticut pizza corridor . I have had my share of great pizza. The crust on this one a decent bite and ok crispness but was bland (flour choice?, not enough fermentation time?). The toppings were plentifully but the prosciutto lacked flavor. The ingredients were fresh and the cheese was thankfully applied with a conservative hand. The tomato sauce was fresh tomato based and perhaps it should have been cooked a little more? Perhaps a few more minutes in the oven would have changed this from a good pizza to a much better one. Still it is much better than the chain pizzas. The Greek salad was a disappointment. A large plate of iceberg and some romaine lettuce with perhaps 4 or 5 olives and a couple of cherry tomatoes, a red onion bit or two and a huge cup of bland feta. The oil and balsamic vinegar dressing was just ok. Not worth the 7 bucks.

I guess reading the review on line from prior reviews I was expecting more.

I wouldn't use word authentic italian here. It's some hit and misses on Italian American .

It's a store front restaurant brightly lit with no real atmosphere. We came in 30 minutes before closing on a Saturday night. Our servers were pleasant enough, but we could sort of tell they were already in their closing mode. None the less they were pleasant enough.

Over done pasta, lackluster tomato sauce on the pasta, kind of a poor excuse for a Greek salad were the misses. Decent enough pizza that I really wanted to be better and could be with minor tweaking and the Stromboli were the strengths.

There are newer reviews for Mamma's Pizza

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

The food here is some of the best Italian I've ever had. It's absolutely amazing. I would recommend this to anyone. Enjoy!

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

-I go here every week for lunch! Its the best!
-best wings I've had
-nicely priced
-great pizza! My fave is a slice of white (veggie) with a side of sauce
-garlic knots are yummy
-if you get a salad, get their homemade dressing. My mouth is watering just talking about it!
-super friendly service
-must try!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

the food is always fresh this is the best pizza restaurant in town we've tried everything on the menu and have never been disappointed this is a must try for anyone looking for straight forward real food

Reviewed 5 June 2013

Stopped here for a quick lunch while in town. Very good pizza and garlic knots! Would like to go back to sample other menu items. very nice wait staff also.