“Reasonable rates but fell short on customer service”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Richmond Airport Hotel
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Sandston
Carlisle, United States
“Reasonable rates but fell short on customer service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Very close to the airport with a decent shuttle service. We left at 5am to go to the airport and didn't have time to try the breakfast but it was available at that time. Very reasonable park and fly rate for 8 days of parking. The hotel decor is the standard in the lobby and room. Late night check in staff were pleasant. I have no complaints other than that my daughter left her two stuffed animals (she calls her babies) in the hotel room at 4:45am when she was pulled out of bed and gotten ready to go to the airport. Once we were at the airport I realized she had left them. We called the hotel, gave our room number and name and asked them to collect them and hold them until we return in 8 days. They said sure, no problem. Upon arrival back at the hotel they said they didn't know where they were but they may be in the managers office but he wasn't in that day and they took our information down and said they would send them to us. They never got back to us. While it's not the hotels fault that my daughter left her stuffed animals in the room, they told us they would get them and hold them for us. It's just disappointing that they found that request too difficult to follow through with. They weren't expensive but to a 7 yr old she doesn't want "new" ones, she wants her babies. I have tried to tell her it's best not to take them with her away from home because she could lose them but I guess this is a lesson she had to learn the hard way.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

MICHAEL B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Richmond Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank You for your words regarding your stay and experience. I do want to address the stuffed animal matter.
Yes, there was a called recieved stating that there was stuffed animals left in this particular room. A Lost and Found ticket was produced and passed on to the Housekeeping Supervisor. Upon inpecting the room for the items the Supervisor was unable to locate any stuffed animals. Yes, I will agree that my staff and I fell short on our cusrtomer service skills by not following up with you on the status of the lost items and I would like to sincerely apologize for that. Because of this incident the staff has been retrained on handling lost and found items and calls and i can assure you that matters of this nature will be handled differently in the future.

Michael Brown, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
VICTORIA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

This unit is close to the airport, they have an extremely good shuttle service. They have been there for a while, ask for a refurbished unit, but all units are clean and very presentable. Good stay for a reasonable price.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank You for taking time to fill out this review. I am glad our services met your expectations and more. Yes we do have all but one of our floors renovated. We are tirelessly working to complete our improvement project, we have had a lot of problem which has caused us to slow the process down, so please bare with us

Michael Brown. GM
Jacksonville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

My instinct was lose my money and go stay at a different hotel. I go to Richmond quite often because my daughter goes there to see an endocrinologist. We usually stay at the same hotel but we stayed at a best western in the past and I thought this was the one. Once I got there I realized clearly this wasn't the same one. The area seemed sketchy but I told myself no biggie we were there for one night and was sure it would be ok. We got there and checked in. The lobby and employees were both nice. We got checked in quickly and went to our room. We left to go meet a friend of mine for dinner and came back around 7 or so. We left the room to get some snacks and drinks from the vending machine and had to go get change. Again, the desk staff was friendly and smiling. We slept well, and it was quiet. The interior had clearly recently been redone in the halls and the rooms. (My thought was correct because my friends husband said he'd delivered a lot of floor tiles to that hotel when I told them where I was staying)It was very nice. The beds comfortable and the breakfast was decent. Plenty of hot food options. We went to my daughters appointment and came back to check out. The check out was also quick and staff was friendly. I got home after a 2 hour drive and had to immediately leave to go to NC to attend the marine corps ball that weekend. Just before leaving town I stopped to get gas and went in to get an energy drink. As I came out of the store I realized my front license plate had been taken. Thankfully didn't get charged the full fee to replace them but was a huge hassle for me, especially since I had to delay my departure for NC having me arrive way after dark. If not for the area this hotel is in, I would recommend it to others. I contacted the hotel because I needed to get the non-emergent police # because DMV told me I have to report them stolen. The guy didn't even apologize for that happening at their hotel. I did get a very nice response from the manager after filling out their survey with an apology for the way it was handled. I do not hold the hotel responsible for what happened, but unfortunately you can't move the hotel. Again, very nice inside and the outside looks nice. The staff was very friendly. The area is what did it in for me. If not for that, I would have stayed there again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Again, I would like to apologize for that employee not showing you any empathy regarding your missing plates. I am glad that you were able to report that matter to the local authorities and i do hope that the person(s) involved are caught. I have spoken with the person who took your call and as stated in a earlier letter to you this employee has been corrected.

boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

My stay here was basically and straight forward. My room was clean and nicely furnished. The staff was friendly and helpful. My only negative experience was that when I booked the room, I was told I could pay for a half day and check out at 3:00. Since I was in town for the Richmond Marathon, I would have been getting back to the motel after the noon check out and I wanted to take a shower before boarding my flight home. When I checked, I learned this option was not possible because the motel was fully booked for the next night.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank You for kind words. As for the late check out, I do apologize. We offer a later check out to our guest only when we are able to. Yes, Unfortunately on this particular saturday we had 3 bus loads of traveling senior citizens due to arrive at 3pm which restricted us from granting your late check out. If you return for the next marathon here i town please give me a call and i will me sure to work with you personally.

Deltaville, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Even though this hotel is a little dated in the exterior and common areas, the rooms are very nice! the beds are very comfortable. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. I used their stay and park feature and with the free parking for two weeks and the cost of the room, YOU CAN NOT BEAT IT!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest

Thank You for your words about the hotel. We are in a constantly renovating and making changes to improve the guest experience at this property. We are also pleased that our services met your expectations.

Pocomoke City, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Always stay here when in Richmond, Va. I usually have a van full of antiques for shows so want a safe, friendly place. The staff is exceptionally friendly and goes out of way to be hospitable. Breakfast is hot and filling. Have stayed here when it was part of Hilton chain and it's still just as nice. This was first time my daughter accompanied me and agreed about the friendly staff, comfort of beds and good breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

MICHAEL B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Richmond Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Guest
Thank You so much for your kind words. It was really nice to see and meet your daughter during your last trip. We will continue to practice our great service just as long as you continue to visit.

Michael Brown
wyoming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Good value for the money, clean, quiet, helpful staff. Good place to spend the night before an early AM flight. There are a few close-by gas stations to fill up before returning your rental car.

Room was recently painted, breakfast plentiful and early. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from airport side, it's a bit quieter.