“Read the Reviews and Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Sandston Inn

and 1 more site!
Sandston Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Sandston B&B and Inns
Oak Island, North Carolina
“Read the Reviews and Avoid”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I guess there isn't much need to read the reviews for an establishment if you're going to ignore them like I did. Made reservations through my preferred customer number and checked in for a two day weekend stay while attending an event in Richmond. The property is not exactly well kept, but passable in the front of the building where you check in.Drove around back where my room was located and it looked like a war zone. Trash everywhere and many of the rooms closed up (for remodeling ?). Walked up the dirty stairs to get to my room on the second floor. The crowning touch was dirty towels still draped over the shower rack and a big hole in the spread. No thanks. Fortunately, I was allowed to cancel my reservation since it was before the deadline and get out of there ... fast. Lady at check in/out was nice, but hardly apologetic as if my desire to cancel came as no surprise. Does Red Roof ever visit their franchises? There seems to be a total lack of quality control. Sometimes I wonder if they even care. Not much need to fill out the survey card after you visit. It goes directly back to the manager who can promptly delete if he/she chooses, to. Why doesn't Red Roof have these follow up surveys go to the corporate office or don't they care either? Red Roof has become so inconsistent in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank seadream698

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I booked the room before reading the reviews which were mostly bad. As we were only going to be there for a few hours of sleep, we went ahead and came prepared with Lysol and our own bedding. But to my surprise, the room was spacious, clean, no problems at all. Great room for the low price. Check in/out was quick, staff courteous. I would stay there anytime!

Room Tip: Our room was second level with one king bed. Might make a difference if only certain rooms are renov...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank smartin7456
Staunton, VA
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The price should have been a red flag! One of four rooms was located on the under renovation side. My friends refused to take a shower because of the filth and refused to sleep under the cover on the bed because it was nasty. The other three rooms weren't as bad. They smelled of fresh paint and were decent. The hot water heater needs replacing. I should have to run the water for 10 minutes just to get hot water. The A/C didn't work. It was cooler outside than inside.
The area it self was sketchy. There were a lot of people hanging around and evidently the owners allowed partying at the front desk area as it kept all of us up, along with other guest I talked to. To be honest, I was afraid to even leave my car there for fear I would get up the next morning and find it gone or sitting on cement blocks.
We specially booked this room for the airport transportation. When we checked in, we told the lady there would be 7 of us needing a shuttle at 0445 and she wrote it down. When we went down to catch it the next morning, they failed to communicate our need and we ended up having to wait for them to call somebody in.
When we returned from our trip the next week, I tried contacting the hotel for a shuttle for pick-up. Our previous drive told us to call and somebody would be there. After calling the hotel about 10 times and not getting an answer, I had to call the main Red Roof Inn headquarters. Needless to say, they failed to tell us their shuttle service only ran from 6a-11p. After we purchased our own taxi service, we pulled up and seen two people inside the office getting "cozy" with each other, too busy to answer the phone.
I will never stay at this hotel again. Evidently it's party central and they lack communication between staff. I will gladly pay an extra $50 to stay at a more decent hotel.

Room Tip: The front, "renovated" side. Still sketchy but not as bad as the back side of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
palm coast florida
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I stayed at this hotel and was a little leary after reading the negative reviews. I asked for a refurbished room and it was clean with no frills. I had trouble with the A/C and someome came in a few minutes to fix it. The staff is very helpful. It's very basic but clean with no mold or bug problems

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room..they are clean
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

Several reviews gave bad marks to this place. Stayed 1 night with 2 dogs. Our room a superior king on the first floor had all new furniture, but no flat screen had Direct TV and was told they just switched in preparation for HD TVs. Located near many eating places and convenience stores. Friendly desk clerk. Pull up car in front on room is great with pets. I would stay there again. Had great area food delivery.

• Stayed May 2013
Orange Park, Florida, United States
Reviewed 26 April 2013

This hotel has seen better days. It was not very clean, nothing worked properly and it was just overall very run down. The staff tried to be as helpful as possible. I know we paid a little too much for the room considering the condition of it, but since it was such a last minute and unexpected trip we didnt have much choice.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Max Meadows, Virginia
Reviewed 20 April 2013

The renovations are nice. the rooms were clean, amenities, towels,plentiful, the staff was friendly, courteous and helpful. Filled all my request, No problems with this motel, would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to this area...Thanks for a nice stay..Will be back again..

Room Tip: Just tell them what you want and need they will do their best to fill it..
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandston
Courtyard Richmond Airport
Airport Inn Motel Richmond
Airport Inn Motel Richmond
#48 of 81 in Richmond
Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport
Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Richmond Airport

Been to Sandston Inn? Share your experiences!