“It was handy for the Airport”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Sandston Inn

and 1 more site!
Sandston Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Sandston B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“It was handy for the Airport”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

I got a car rental to visit Richmond proper, and Historical Williamsburg. Breakfast was available at the Quality Inn next door, as was a map and use of a computer. They are owned by the same people. They supplied a shuttle to get to the airport to pick up my car rental. The guy who showed me to my room was helpful but did not know how the phone worked for making international calls.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Lewisville, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

We had stayed at 2 Red Roof Inns on the 2 previous nights & thought we'd have the same type of stay at this Red Roof. WRONG!!! It was dirty, the carpet hadn't been vacuumed in who knows how long, the bathroom floor needed to be swept, I started to move a chair & found dirty carpet (among other things). Only good thing I can say is the staff was very accomodating, arranged for a shuttle to the airport @ 5:15AM when it doesn't usually start until 6AM. Real close to the airport. Very disappointed after the other 2 we stayed in.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank StraitSharon
Davidsonville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

After all the negative reviews, I was leary about staying, but I've stayed at many Red Roof properties, with no problem. The room was clean, spacious, and well equiped, with microwave/frig. The staff was awesome ~ very friendly, and accommodating. My stay was centered around a nearby dog show. I see that many of the show people, also staying at this Inn, gave poor reviews. Honestly, the problems I saw was with the "people" that were booked there. There was trash all over the grounds. The staff did their best to keep it clean. You could see them out there working on it. There's no reason for anyone to treat any property like that. They were also loud. If you want to party, that's OK, but you could do so in the rooms, not outside on the sidewalks. I had to keep the air conditioner running, and TV going, to drown out the noise. SOooo, bottom line ~ the Inn got a good rating. It's not their fault that the people they rent to had no respect.

Room Tip: Calling the Inn ahead, and stating your needs is a good bet. They do listen.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Watchb4go.com

1 Thank karm366Davidsonville
Cambridge, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Run don't walk away for making a reservation at this Red Roof. I was attending a show in Richmond and after the show friends and I went to dinner which meant I arrived at 10::30 pm to check in. NO ROOM they said they had over booked and I was sent to another hotel Quality Inn next door. Room was clean but they have a over 30 bar down stairs that went on till 2:30 am. Needless to say NO SLEEP. Then when I went back over in the morning to checkout there was another handler who was complaining about her room. She said the hall way stunk of urine and trash all over the place. Red Roof management should go under cover at this place, if they did they wood shut it down get new owners and clean up the place. This place and what happened to me and the other couple should not have happened. My dogs kennels are cleaner and better kept then these two places. So again RUN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION AND FIND ANOTHER PLACE TO STAY, I KNOW I WILL NEXT SHOW.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jerry R
Oak Island, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

I guess there isn't much need to read the reviews for an establishment if you're going to ignore them like I did. Made reservations through my preferred customer number and checked in for a two day weekend stay while attending an event in Richmond. The property is not exactly well kept, but passable in the front of the building where you check in.Drove around back where my room was located and it looked like a war zone. Trash everywhere and many of the rooms closed up (for remodeling ?). Walked up the dirty stairs to get to my room on the second floor. The crowning touch was dirty towels still draped over the shower rack and a big hole in the spread. No thanks. Fortunately, I was allowed to cancel my reservation since it was before the deadline and get out of there ... fast. Lady at check in/out was nice, but hardly apologetic as if my desire to cancel came as no surprise. Does Red Roof ever visit their franchises? There seems to be a total lack of quality control. Sometimes I wonder if they even care. Not much need to fill out the survey card after you visit. It goes directly back to the manager who can promptly delete if he/she chooses, to. Why doesn't Red Roof have these follow up surveys go to the corporate office or don't they care either? Red Roof has become so inconsistent in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank seadream698
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

I booked the room before reading the reviews which were mostly bad. As we were only going to be there for a few hours of sleep, we went ahead and came prepared with Lysol and our own bedding. But to my surprise, the room was spacious, clean, no problems at all. Great room for the low price. Check in/out was quick, staff courteous. I would stay there anytime!

Room Tip: Our room was second level with one king bed. Might make a difference if only certain rooms are renov...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank smartin7456
Staunton, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

The price should have been a red flag! One of four rooms was located on the under renovation side. My friends refused to take a shower because of the filth and refused to sleep under the cover on the bed because it was nasty. The other three rooms weren't as bad. They smelled of fresh paint and were decent. The hot water heater needs replacing. I should have to run the water for 10 minutes just to get hot water. The A/C didn't work. It was cooler outside than inside.
The area it self was sketchy. There were a lot of people hanging around and evidently the owners allowed partying at the front desk area as it kept all of us up, along with other guest I talked to. To be honest, I was afraid to even leave my car there for fear I would get up the next morning and find it gone or sitting on cement blocks.
We specially booked this room for the airport transportation. When we checked in, we told the lady there would be 7 of us needing a shuttle at 0445 and she wrote it down. When we went down to catch it the next morning, they failed to communicate our need and we ended up having to wait for them to call somebody in.
When we returned from our trip the next week, I tried contacting the hotel for a shuttle for pick-up. Our previous drive told us to call and somebody would be there. After calling the hotel about 10 times and not getting an answer, I had to call the main Red Roof Inn headquarters. Needless to say, they failed to tell us their shuttle service only ran from 6a-11p. After we purchased our own taxi service, we pulled up and seen two people inside the office getting "cozy" with each other, too busy to answer the phone.
I will never stay at this hotel again. Evidently it's party central and they lack communication between staff. I will gladly pay an extra $50 to stay at a more decent hotel.

Room Tip: The front, "renovated" side. Still sketchy but not as bad as the back side of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandston
Courtyard Richmond Airport
Airport Inn Motel Richmond
Airport Inn Motel Richmond
#48 of 81 in Richmond
Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport
Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Richmond Airport

Been to Sandston Inn? Share your experiences!