Americas Best Value Inn - Richmond Airport/Sandston
US$102
US$92
BestWestern.com
US$58
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 December 2013

The ABVI chain is hit or miss, and this one was a miss. I think this property used to be a a Quality Inn and it looks like there's a whole conference center area off of the lobby that's been shuttered. Most (all?) of the rooms have exterior entrances, some of which are a little bit of a walk from the parking areas due to the design of the building. The back parking lot did not feel safe. The property is in bad shape - it's old and hasn't been maintained well at all. You can see in my pics that the awning over the stairway is rusting out and there's a lot of mildew on the outside walkways. Those are just a couple of examples. The room was okay, but this place really needs an overhaul.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
airportbw, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Richmond Airport/Sandston, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear CosmoVA,

On behalf of the staff and management, I would like to personally thank you for sharing a review with us. We are an older exterior corridor location near the Richmond Airport. We are planning on doing some renovating in 2014. We understand your concerns and we are sorry that we could not meet your expectations at this time. Hopefully, you can give us another opportunity once we have made the suggested changes.

Neal-Manager

Reviewed 14 October 2012

I stayed there saturday night. I arrived and it took me forever to get in my room. When I finally got in the room, i turned the light on and there was hugh cobwebs and a dead moth. Than I went to the bathroom. I looked at the tub and the tub was full of dirty water and dirt. I went to try and call the front desk and the phone would not work, I pulled out the night stand to find bottle caps behind the night stand. I finally got the phone to work and calleed the front desk. I got the respond, om my and do you want to change your room. I told him that it was after midnight and I had no way to get a hold of my husband and he would not know where I would be. I ask if a manager would be in the morning. I slept in my clothes and with the light on. In the am, I noticed all this filth on my night stand, it was from the lamp shade, it was all rusty, the light fixture was falling off the wall. The microwave had mold and grime all around it, the door was brokedn, the chair next to the desk was beokeen, crumbs all over the table, dresser etc. I could not take it any more, so I went to the front desk and the girl that was at the desk, was in the office watching tv i waited five minutes and I said, excause me... she finally came and when i told her what happened, she never apologized, was rude as hell..........I told her that I am a GM at a hotel in Williamsburg and I know they are a branded hotel and they have standers and this property is the worst. I asked to speak to management and she said he was not there. I asked when he would be there and she gave this look like I dont know. I asked for a refund and she said no. We have stayed here at least three times a year and bring anywhere from 5-20 other rooms. This is what I got. I WILL NEVER EVER STAY AT THIS DUMP AGAIN. I WILL BE CONTACTING THE CORPORATE OFFICE. WHAT A DUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALSO, I WENT TO GET COFFEE IN THE LOBBY AND THE HOUSEKEEPING STAFF WAS PUSHING ME OUT OF THE WAY RUDE AS HELL...JUST LIKE THAT GIRL AT THE FRONT DESK RUDE............NEVER EVER AGAIN. thE FINAL NOTE, MY OWNER OF MY PROPERY HAS A HOTEL THAT IS ALSO AMERICAS BEST VALUE INN AND I TOLD HIM ALL ABOUT IT AND HE WAS APPOLED... ALL I WANTED WAS MY MONEY BACK.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
airportbw, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Richmond Airport/Sandston, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Dear Darlene L,

Thank you for sharing a review with us. I am deeply concerned about the issues you encountered during your stay. I apologize for any housekeeping and staff friendliness issues you experienced. We strive to ensure that each of our guests have a enjoyable experience with us. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Please contact me directly at the property to discuss the matter further. We would like another opportunity to serve you.

Vash-Manager

Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed here because we need to find cheap hotel close to airport. It is close (across the road) and it is cheap, not always in good way. TV remote did not have battery; lobby was musty; whole appearance is that its best days are waaaaaay behind it. Also there was no breakfast left when we went to eat. Thank goodness Waffle House is next door!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear Lance L,
I appreciate that fact that you took time out of your busy schedule to share a review with us. I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. I sincerely apologize for your TV remote not having a cover and the musty odor in the lobby. Since your last stay, we have been painting our guest rooms and other updates as well. We do serve a Continental Breakfast each day from 6:30-9:30am. We hope that you give us another opportunity in the future.

Vash-manager

Reviewed 15 September 2011

We originally had reservations for several days, while we had to be in the area. Having stayed at this chain before, I expected the same quality we have seen at others...big mistake.
We requested a refund and left after the first night. If it hadn't been so late when we arrived, after realizing what kind of room this was, we would have immediately checked out. Gosh, where do I begin to describe this place......At first glance it didn't look too bad, just tired and old, but that was probably because the lighting was so dim.

First off the room is extremely dingy. Light bulbs are very low watts, lamps in very poor condition and don't easily stay on... and the furnishings are from the 70's and 80's...and it shows. That wouldn't be so bad if it had been clean, but it was NOT. There was a thick layer of dust on the vents, (see pictures), the a/c made a lot of noise but really didn't blow cool, probably because it also was so dusty and grimy we didn't want to touch it.

The carpet was very old, very dirty and sticky, our shoes made noise when we walked on it. The microwave and refrigerator didn't work well, and were out of the 1970/80's, too. The TV did not work. It looked like it had been dropped. The wireless internet was very weak and would not keep a signal. The bed...sagging and noisy. When we pulled back the cover, the sheet had blood on it (see picture). The sheets were obviously NOT clean, this wasn't just a stain, it was the real thing...That was enough for me. I slept on top the bedspread with a blanket brought with us, under me

The door didn't fit the opening well, there were huge crack for bugs to crawl through, and no way to make ourselves secure in that room because all there was only a key to get in with, no safety lock at all. Anyone who wanted to could have kicked in that door easily. The room was NOT safe, and there were a lot of seedy looking characters in and around the parking lot.

I could go on and on, but the pictures tell the story. When we checked out this morning, I told the clerk about the bloody sheet, and the grime and filth in the room. They did cancel our other two nights. BUT they also charged us $20 for a roll away cot, something I had been quoted $10 for. We will see if they actually credit it back to us.

Overall, I am disgusted....and will never stay in this chain again....absolutely disgusting! If you need to stay in this area, you would be better off at any of the numerous hotels situated around this dump. Even Motel 6 (next door) was clean and had wifi...it ran circles around this place.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank flowerladytoo
airportbw, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Richmond Airport/Sandston, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

In response to the above review. The guest came in just before 9:30pm to check in for a reservation that was originally for 4 days. After speaking with the guest about there plans (they did not know how many days they would be staying), their reservation was adjusted according to their plans, without any change fees. The guest was also offered an upgrade to a room with 2 Queen beds, instead of the King bed they had reserved, since they had 2 adults and 1 teenage child, the guest opted not to take the upgrade and keep the King room, they also opted not to take the roll-a-way bed that was reserved for them.

They guest was checked into their room, with the assurance that if their plans changed they could check out early if needed, and sometime after 10:30pm, the guest came to the front lobby to request the roll-a-away bed, and was offered by the GM to have him take it to their room, the guest refused the offer and took the bed to their room himself. During this trip to the office, after being in the room for over an hour, not one complaint was made about any of the items listed in the above complaint or any other issues.

As for the items in the room - micro-fridges were not around in the 70's and 80's, so they could possibly not be from that time frame - they are in fact only a few years old (as is the furniture in the room) - they are standard micro-fridges that most hotels have in their rooms. The stain on the bed was checked by housekeeping after the guests checked out - it was not blood - it looked to be makeup, there is no was to tell if it was from the current guest or not, since there were no other signs of stains, and the bed had been rumpled as if used. Light bulbs in all rooms are 100W bulbs, not sure any hotel uses anything stronger than that wattage. The TV was in working order, there was no problem with reception, sound, or video. The internet was also up and running and there were no complaints from any other guests at the hotel. All the doors on all guest rooms have 3 locking systems, one when you close the door it locks automatically, second there is a dead bolt on the door, and third a security chain on the door. As for the A/C unit in the room, if it had not been working properly, if the guest had mentioned it to the front desk staff, it could have been checked, and if there was a problem, the guests could have have switched to a different room. Since no complaints were made, except at time of check out, there would have been no way to check the issues and have them attended to.
As for the other guests at the hotel, we do not know who they are referring to. Most of the property is filled at this time with men and women who are here cleaning up the city after Hurricane Irene hit the area. These are companies that have hired by the city and by other agencies in the city to help out after the hurricane. And our other guests are people from many different areas in and out of state.