High Meadows Inn
US$116
Sleep Inn & Suites Monticello(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
US$126
US$102
SleepInn
The Clifton(Charlottesville)
US$217
Comfort Inn Monticello(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$84
ComfortInn
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
US$175
US$153
200 South Street Inn(Charlottesville)
US$195
US$229
Omni Charlottesville(Charlottesville)
US$245
US$178
  • Pool
All reviewsdelightful getawaysitting roomdaffodil roomwineriesmonticello
Reviewed 21 June 2011

When we called to see IF we could cancel our reservation, I was told by daughter of the mother/daughter innkeeper team, that canceling WOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM. She stated there was an illness in the family and that it would be terribly inconvenient to entertain guests for our scheduled weekend of June 10 and 11th. SHE WAS VERY RELIEVED! She stated, “please don't worry at all. You will not be charged!” A week later we noticed a charge on our card and I tried unsuccessfully for 2 days to reach the innkeepers by phone and by email. It wasn't until I used my husband's cell phone (which would have appeared as a different caller ID) that I finally got someone to answer my call. I spoke to the mother and she stated that we had not canceled 10 days prior to our stay, therefore we would be responsible for paying our deposit. After courteously explaining to the mother the conversation I had with the daughter, I realized that the mother was no longer on the other line. She had rudely hung up the phone on me!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ckelleher9
highmeadows, Owner at High Meadows Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2011

1) There was a family emergency. HOWEVER,
2) Guests are a delight - never an inconvenience!!
3) Our refund policy is quite clear: 50% deposit, or one night's stay, is taken at the time of reservation, and refundable if the cancellation is more than 10 days from the arrival date. After that time, the guest is responsible for the cost of their stay, if we can not rebook the room.
4) This guests deposit had been made weeks in advance - and though she might not have received her statement until the 14th of June (a couple of days after her reservation dates), the charge had been made and authorized several weeks prior on May 18th.
5) When she cancelled 2 days before her arrival because she had found accommodations closer to the event she was attending, I assured her that her card would not be charged...for the balance of her stay (which was multiple days). We were fully booked that weekend, and hers was the only room left unoccupied - if she got the impression we were relieved, it was most probably because I was trying to be as gracious as possible, in assuring her that I would no charge her for her full night's stay. And indeed, we did not! We also graciously offered to allow her to use her deposit toward another stay with us in the future - rather than simply forfeit it. We also offered a certificate that she could give to someone as a gift, if she could not use it.

We do understand that 'life happens' - which is why we can often offer a guest the ability to use their deposit toward a later stay. However, we are a small property - we can not 'hold' a room, hence the deposit refund policy. This guest always has the opportunity to dispute the charge with her credit card company - and if it is found that our policies are 'unscrupulous' (though clearly posted and agreed to in writing by our reservation confirmation system so there can be no misunderstanding with future guests) then the credit card company will refund her deposit.

Finally, we are a busy inn, with a small staff of 2. If a call was missed, it was unintentional, or we were on another line. Of the dozens of calls we take in any given day, there is virtually no way, and no time or desire - to avoid a particular caller by checking the caller id for each and every phone call! No one hung up - there was simply a quiet, patient listening to this guest as she spent several minutes making her point...my mother did not interrupt, except to explain that she was on a cell phone...after several minutes, the call was lost - but not because a guest had been hung up on! All apologies if that is how it appeared. but that is certainly not the case.

High Meadows Vineyard Inn

Reviewed 19 June 2011

Stayed at the High Meadows Vineyard Inn over night (Sunday to Monday). We were in the area - about 2 hours south of Washington, DC visiting nearby wineries. The HMVI is lovely and has been restored into a very comfortable, friendly place to stay. Cynthia, the owner and her brother were extremely helpful and friendly and provided good suggestons on which close by wineries were must visits. Each room at the B&B is different; we had the room with the round bed. There is also a detacted cottage.
The breakfast was superb - allthough it probably did not help my diet. Long story short- we definitely recommend the HMVI and plan on going back in the fall. jr

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Guido_2_ti
Reviewed 17 May 2011

The High Meadows Vineyard Inn is a delightful getaway in the country near Charlottesville. We stayed in 'The Cottage' and liked having our own little place (another couple stayed in the other half but we never saw each other). The land is beautiful and well landscaped. The dinner was excellent and the breakfast was very good.
We used a Groupon for our visit so my 'value' rating is based on that.
We had two small complaints:
While the dinner was included in our costs the gratuity wasn't. The server, who was also the chef, emphasized this a little too much as he presented us our bills at the end of the meal. It came across as unseemly, especially at the end of a very pleasant meal where we interacted with the other two couples. This is one of the very rare occasions where I would have preferred to have a gratuity included.
Secondly, the only options for breakfast were 9 or 9:30. My wife and I are both used to getting up earlier and would have preferred an option around 8. The couple we shared our table with felt similarly.
We also felt bad because we had the nice seats in the screened in porch and were not finished in 30 minutes so the second shift had no choice but to eat inside.
With those caveats, it is highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We stayed here for a weekend get-away. Breakfast Saturday morning was delicious with freshly gathered scrambled eggs and freshly squeezed orange juice. The website states that breakfast is served from 6-10AM, however we had to choose either 9 or 9:30. Dinner Saturday night was very good with fresh seasonal vegetables and the bread pudding with whiskey sauce for dessert was among the best I have ever had. We had to leave early Sunday morning (8:30) and were told we would miss breakfast because again, the serving times were 9 or 9:30. Coffee was available in the morning at 8 AM; tea is always available.

The room we stayed in was clean but on the main floor, close to the living areas so there was some traffic/noise. In addition, the bathtub was in the room, with a hand held showerhead and privacy screen (not very comfortable for showering).

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2011

We had a great time visiting vineyards and wine tasting. The grounds at the B & B were beautiful and we enjoyed watching the peecock, ducks, chickens, cardinals and cats on the grounds.

Room Tip: We stayed in the dafodil room which was very nice.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple