“Lovely 4th of July at High Meadows”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of High Meadows Inn

High Meadows Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Scottsville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Seaford, VA
“Lovely 4th of July at High Meadows”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My husband and I spent two nights in the Cottage Suite on the 4th of July. We arrived early, and enjoyed a relaxing wait on the front porch swing until check-in time. The inn is very colorful and unique--in a great way! Our hosts were warm and welcoming. They told us about the upcoming 4th of July parade and suggested that we take a short walk to the road at 9:00 AM. As promised, they had benches set up for us to sit and enjoy the parade. The cottage was comfortable and relaxing. I slept well...unusual for me when I am traveling. We enjoyed the cats, peacock, and chickens, as well as the wildlife that we glanced in the surrounding woods. Breakfast was delicious both days! All in all, we had a lovely time in this rather out-of-the-way Inn, and we look forward to returning.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We loved the Cottage Room -- stayed for the weekend while attending a nearby wedding, could've stayed longer! The breakfasts are incredible. Honestly had the best Eggs Benedict of my life (in my mid-40's!), and everything including their coffee was exceptional. Hosts were very helpful and accommodating. So picturesque with wildflowers in full bloom, and who doesn't love an Inn with it's own peacock?! Scottsville was a bit off the beaten path, but that was part of the charm -- High Meadows is worth the diversion, we'll be back! We couldn't use the Groupon since we were pre-booked...use it if you can, although the quality of the breakfast & provisions was worth full-price.

Room Tip: We loved the seclusion of the cottage - only hitch was wi-fi was spotty (great coverage in main hous...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
highmeadows, Owner at High Meadows Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay! Breakfast is a fun meal for us to prepare - things always taste better with fresh eggs, but admittedly, our Eggs Benedict is super special. Thank you for the compliments. Warmly, Cynthia & Nancy
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My wife and I were ready to get out of DC for a weekend and had been curious to visit Charlottesville, VA for some time. The High Meadows Vineyard Inn sits on the edge of Scottsville, VA, a short drive south of Charlottesville through some pretty country. We had a wonderful and relaxing time with our hosts, slept well in the Willow room, enjoyed delicious and generous breakfasts both mornings, and then relaxed around the grounds of the inn ... playing with the two friendly cats, visiting Henry the peacock and his harem of chickens, and generally lazing about the gorgeous gardens with our third cup of coffee.

I greatly look forward to returning the next time we've had too much of the big city.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 20 May 2013

High Meadows Inn Review, May 15/16, 2013
Very disappointing B&B and far different than my expectations from reading other reviews. Have to admit that my first impression was not very good. We arrived a few minutes early and another couple was already there waiting (one person was handicapped); told we were early and had to wait outside. Handicapped guest had to struggle with stairs and was told not to park on the grass; problem is a circular drive only one lane wide, no one can get by unless someone pulls over a little. Once we were allowed to check in, the room was hot, and not ready for us. After complaining, the AC was turned on, apparently after consultation.
Dinner was somewhat of a mixed bag. The salad and main entrée was good, but not exceptional; no type of starch other than bread. My primary complaint is that nothing to drink was offered other than wine (at extra cost) or water. No after dinner coffee or tea was offered, and I rather like coffee with dessert. After the meal guests were given a slip of paper to fill out, the sole purpose of which, since the dinner was included on our Groupon, seemed to be to solicit gratuities based on a very high dinner price.
Later, I asked about coffee and was told a pot could be brewed; another guest asked about decaf and was told it was not available as no one drank it. I skipped the coffee. Although tea bags were available there was no milk or cream to be had. We were told if we needed anything to ask; that seemed to be the excuse of choice for not having things available that one would normally expect not to have to ask for in the first place.
No choices for breakfast; a small fruit with granola and a couple of crepes with sauce. No protein, no toast or bread. Coffee or tea was self serve in the other room so bring it in and get up from you place for a coffee refill. I suppose one could ask but again you shouldn’t have to.
Second evening when we got in from touring, there was note that innkeepers were out for the evening with a phone number. Who is going to make a phone call to ask for milk for evening tea?
Second morning breakfast again no choice. Frittata, asparagus and grits. I like all those things, but very little grits on the plate and again no bread, butter, jam or other normal breakfast items. This time my wife did ask for toast. It was brought up after some mention that bread was used for the kids lunches.
Overall, this property could be quite a fine experience; the setting is pretty, the house historical and I even feel the food has real potential; however, it seemed to me that the goal was to get by with the least amount of effort or expense possible. Talk is cheap, real concern and care for guests requires more than what I felt. I have stayed in numerous B&Bs and by and large I’ve found when the inn keeper was involved with guests the experience was great. I never even met the inn keeper (daughter) at High Meadows.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank waltanddiane
highmeadows, Owner at High Meadows Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
It's always unfortunate when a guest's experience doesn't match up with their expectations - we regret if this was true with your recent stay with us. A few things we'd like to mention, though, to help clarify: 1) Breakfast is a meal with so many options - we'd probably not classify anything as "normal" breakfast food. :) When a guest makes a reservation, we always inquire about special food needs/allergies/etc, and every effort is made to accomodate those requests made in advance. As is typical with most B&B's, breakfast isn't served as a list of choices as one might find in a restaurant - one of the delights of a B&B stay! Our breakfast is comprised of several courses, and alternates between sweet and savory mornings, and always includes protein. 2) There is a refrigerator in the central guest kitchen area, stocked with drinks and a pitcher of cream, there for guests to use as they wish. We are sorry if we neglected to point that out to you for your evening tea. 3) We have a dedicated check-in time, as is the case with any hotel/inn/B&B, so that we have sufficient time to turn over our rooms in between guests, and to prepare the house for new arrivals. We try to accomodate early arrivals, but often, we simply have no choice but to suggest alternative activities until check-in. 4) The 'handicapped' guest was a unique situation, and perhaps to an observer, was difficult to understand. We are a historic property, with a multitude of staircases and difficult access for someone on crutches after surgery. It is clear on our website, and this guest chose to come anyway and cheerfully deal with his situation - we arranged a room change so he would have the least amount of stairs to navigate, and all was well. Parking access is very easy; the circle is for unloading luggage, not for long-term parking, as the gravel long-term area is just 50 feet away. Pulling onto the lawn is not really a suitable option, as the flower beds would surely be in the way. 5) Our website lists all of our pricing. When one purchases a special offer, like Groupon, (which we have really enjoyed doing!) it is always a good idea to read the 'fine print', which includes the normal price for the items listed in the purchase. Tips & taxes are notably not included with ANY groupon purchase, and Groupon purchasers generally know this, though in this case, perhaps you did not. We are sorry for any misunderstanding. And lastly, my mother is the innkeeper! I can not imagine her being more hands-on, or interested in seeing that a guests' experience be a lovely one. I (the daughter), don't generally get to interact with guests, as I cook and do other behind-the-scenes work. Most B&B owners comprised of families or couples break up the responsibilities in this way - I enjoy it when I get to meet guests, but most of the time, the 'face' you'll see is Nancy. When she says, 'please let us know if you need anything!', know that we are being most sincere - it is our purpose to see that you have an enjoyable stay not just here, but in our Town and region as well! Sincerely,
Cynthia
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed at this B & B via a groupon offered that included dinner one night. Our room was very comfortable with a king bed. It was clean and we were in control of our own heat, as well we could open windows for fresh air. The dinner was superb and each of our group of 4 had a different entree. All rated the quality and quantity of food as just right! The breakfasts were different, but delectable. One morning we had fried grapefruits, I think (really good) and crepes cooked just right. Then we had a fresh Blueberry muffin baked in cute cups, that were some of the best muffins ever! After that a frattata that was also quite good. The animals around the property (13 acres) included a Peacock named Herman, 2 cats, 2 birds, and the occasional chicken wandering from the coop on sight that produced our eggs! We did this as a wine trip, and most of the wineries are with in about 13 miles, but only a few were close. There is not much in terms of dinner in Scottsville, so plan to go to Charlottesville or Afton for dinner the second night if you buy a package from them. I would definately consider staying with Nancy and her children again. A very relaxing and pleasant stay.

Room Tip: You will hear Herman no matter what room you are in but he adds ambiance to the stay! Our friends a...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 22 April 2013 via mobile

This was a second visit to High Meadows. HM is a Virginian historical site that has an interesting quirky atmosphere complete with resident peacock. We were again on a Groupon that gave us breakfasts, an evening meal and we purchased a cheers plate with a bottle of wine. Food is locally sourced, so there is a lot of good, healthy eats. Mornings begin a bit late (9:30 AM), but one doesn't come here to "charge forward". WiFi is available. Rooms are on first and second floors. No lift. Central air. Proprietor room in basement. This is a great venue to launch trips to the many area wineries!

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 April 2013

My husband and I used a Groupon to stay a High Meadows Inn. It included a 2 night's stay, one dinner, flowers in the room and chocolate-covered strawberries (we never did get these). There were pluses and minuses with our stay. The facility consists of a quirky older house that is painted with bright colors (walls and floors) as well as a small cottage. The grounds are nice with flowers blooming at all seasons, a small gazebo, chicken coops, and a large magnificent peacock named Henry. The peacock is like a watchdog that cries out whenever he sees anyone outside and announces the sunrise (but I usually am awake by then anyway). The rooms are nicely decorated and generally comfortable. However, our king-sized pillow top mattress was in need of replacing. It has very noticeable wells on each side of the bed (which could be seen even when the down duvet and quilt were on it). A new mattress would make this room top notch. Our room had a small dorm refrigerator with cold water and a electric water heater for tea. Tea is also available 24 hrs in the common room in the main house as well as cookies and nuts. Breakfasts were yummy and alternate each morning with sweet and savory. We had broiled grapefruit halves and strawberry and ricotta crepes one morning and blueberry cornbread with smoked salmon scrambled eggs the next. Coffee is only offered with breakfast and the choices were regular and flavored. 3 of us couldn't drink caffeinated coffee so we asked for decaf for the second morning and they nicely complied. For the Groupon dinner, we had a choice of a veggie entree, pepper steak, chicken Kiev, trout with caper sauce, and lamb. All meats were organic, free-range and were of very generous size. It came with a large Caesar salad, sauteed spinach, and choice of lemon tart or spicy bread pudding for dessert. All was delicious. The wine was not included in the Groupon and we had the choice of a local pinot noir or a chardonnay. Both were $25/bottle. We were presented with a check at the end of the meal for any extra charges (wine and gratuity). For gratuity sake, they provided an estimated value of the dinner that I thought was a bit inflated ($60/person). I found this off-putting. As for the proprietors, Ryan was stiffly friendly but knowledgeable about the Inn's history. The woman who cooked the meals (didn't get her name) was very approachable and very friendly. She obviously took pride in her meals and enjoyed the many compliments that were offered. She gave all of the guests valuable touring advice about wineries, hikes, and visiting Monticello. All and all I enjoyed our stay very much. It would have been perfect with decaf coffee and a new mattress in our room. I get the impression that the staff love what they do, but are stretched thin and are in need of a break (as so we all are!). The Groupon was a good value offer.

Room Tip: Some rooms have tubs only. Be sure to ask which have showers if you like those better.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsville
Sleep Inn & Suites Monticello
Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Mont...
#24 of 35 in Charlottesville
The English Inn of Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlo...
#1 of 35 in Charlottesville
BEST WESTERN PLUS Crossroads Inn & Suites

Been to High Meadows Inn? Share your experiences!