“High Meadows”

High Meadows Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Scottsville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 December 2013

This was mine and my boyfriend's first time at a bed and breakfast. So, we weren't sure exactly what to expect. We had the most amazing experience. No complaints. We actually got stuck in traffic, and Nancy was so understanding. When we arrived, she was so warm and welcoming and gave us a quick tour of the house. I immediately felt like I was visiting friends or family. It was such a comfortable environment. The decor of the house was beautiful. We stayed in a room in the cottage and it was amazing. I loved that there was no tv...just a nice quiet weekend in the woods :). I am training for a competition and on an unbelievably strict diet, and she was so nice and accommodating listening to all my crazy restrictions and requests. We also had amazing coffee in the morning. Not only that she was a wealth of information about what to do while we were there and there were plenty of board games and puzzles. Having a few cats and a peacock outside the premises was very nice as well. Have no fear if you are allergic, they are outdoor cats and aren't allowed in the house. I would without a doubt return!

Room Tip: We liked the cottage since it was separate from the house, but still close by.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
highmeadows, Owner at High Meadows Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

It was lovely getting to meet you! Of course, we wish you the best of luck in your efforts - and we're happy we could help you meet your goals. Please come visit us again, and drop us a line with the results! information@highmeadows.com
Warmly,
Cynthia & Nancy

Reviewed 29 November 2013

I just booked a two night stay at the INN through Hotels.com. The next day Nancy called me and instructs me to cancel my reservation and to rebook through their website. She stated they she realized that this was UVA graduation weekend and they didn't permit cancellation on these type of events dates. I told her it didn't matter we were booking for our son's graduation but she still insisted that we book as instructed. I didn't appreciate this phone call and business practice. I don't know if she was attempting to knock Hotels.com out of their commission or what. Nothing of this issue was mentioned on the Hotels.com website and they have been contacted regarding this Shoddy practice by the High Meadows Inn.

It just seems all the Hotels and lodging attempt to take advantage of Parents when their is a University event! Well I cancelled and will not rebook EVER!!!! at this place!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rebel56
highmeadows, Owner at High Meadows Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

So sorry for the confusion! The reservation marketplace is a crazy place...we get it! What Nancy explained was that our cancellation policies for a special event, graduation weekend for example, requires us have very specific policies that our guests agree to. Sadly, we have had the experience of a guest booking with us and several other places 'just in case', and then canceling at the last minute. We are a very small inn (7 rooms), and our policies are there to ensure we can continue doing what we love. So - first, Hotels.com (which does indeed charge us a commission) actually should not even have rooms in their inventory to offer that weekend. We will address that with them. Second, the rate that our guests pay would actually have been exactly the same either way, they simply would have needed to check a box agreeing to our no-cancellation policy, which Hotels.com does not require.

Perhaps she could have explained it a bit better - but in most cases, the best available rate is often the one offered through the property directly, not through secondary reservation sites, and it is certainly not unusual for independent hotels to not offer inventory through thoses sites (Hotels.com, Expedia, etc) during special local events.

Congratulations to your son - we are sure you will enjoy your Charlottesville stay, though we wish you'd give us a try! Warmly,
Cynthia

Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited High meadows on our anniversary trip and we couldn't have been more pleased! The owners were extremely friendly and made us feel right at home. The food was phenomenal, and they were great about giving us directions and recommendations for area attractions. Loved the little quirks, like the resident peacock:) We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at High Meadows last weekend and had a great experience. The room we stayed in was the Robin's Nest. Very tastefully decorated with an ensuite bathroom, Bose radio, nice view of the front fountain and vineyard, and a very comfortable bed. The innkeeper Nancy was very nice and cooked a wonderful breakfast of scrambled eggs topped with fresh strips of smoked salmon on toast points and baked apples for dessert. Definitely a great spot to relax on a weekend getaway. Also, beer enthusiasts will greatly enjoy the James River Brewing Company which produces top-notch Belgian and German inspired brews served in a small but warm and welcoming tasting room with friendly staff and locals.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
highmeadows, Owner at High Meadows Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Scottsville is definitely coming into its own! We love the James River Brewery...and are happy to announce the opening of our family's new restaurant The Smokehouse Grille in the coming days. One more place to enjoy while taking in the small-town charm of Scottsville. Not to say we don't enjoy the MANY wonderful dining and drinking experiences of Charlottesville, and Nelson's 151 trail...but it's definitely nice to have options within 1/2 mile of our door.

We hope to see you again - thank you for the kind review!

Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Wonderful. Comfortable, homey, and warm. We stayed here for my aunt's wedding. The house is wonderful and the service superb. The rooms are stunning. Very comfortable beds and warm atmosphere. Breakfast was great.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My wife and I recently spent the weekend at High Meadows Vineyard Inn, and it was a very nice experience. The innkeepers (Nancy and her daughter) were both very friendly and helpful, with plenty of suggestions for things to do in the area, or places to dine.

Our guest room (the cottage suite), located off the main house, comfortable and cozy. Our only complaint (minor) was we were not able to take advantage of the fireplace. Nancy explained that they had not yet been inspected for the season. Otherwise, our accommodations were fine.

Our breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday were delicious. I had asked when making my reservation if they offer vegan/gluten free choices, and Nancy assured me that would not be a problem, and it wasn't. She mentioned that they have a lot of guests that have special dietary requirements, so they are well prepared to meet this need.

I would definitely recommend the High Meadows Vineyard Inn!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rjrhodes
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The mother/daughter innkeepers were friendly, energetic and engaging! The gourmet breakfast was a great way to start the day. The inn is eclectic with unusual artistic touches throughout. Nancy was very informative about the area and suggested wineries and dining options. Be sure to ask about Henry! We will be back!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to High Meadows Inn? Share your experiences!