“Great Beer!”

James River Brewery
More attraction details
Owner description: James River Brewery is a microbrewery housed in historic, 19th century brick warehouse on Scottsville's main street. Come enjoy our craft beers in our tasting room or in the beer garden alongside Mink Creek. As of March 2015 we have new owners, new brewers, a new brewing system, and new staff.
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Came here on leave from the Marine Corps with my wife and in laws. Her mother moved to Scottsville about 2 months ago at this point. I drove by twice didn't notice it. My wife pointed it out said she heard it was a great place to visit. Boy was she right! Don't let this micro brew through you it's great!! I have been to breweries form Utica NY to Oceanside a city in San Diego county California. Both sides of the US and found a great brewery on both sides but this one stands out. Besides that, why I'm saying this is... honestly an amazing brewery to visit. Small yes but who cares it has an amazing feel to the place. Very inviting great customer service. I honestly can't say anything bad about this place. I had a short haired amazingly joyful woman as my bartender wish I caught her name to put on the post. Very straight forward she was. A joy to have, I did a sampler of six beers she gave me. She had an idea of what I wanted to get just by talking to me she nailed it. All of the beers I had I have to say I would get again. Wish I had a place like this around me. "Go for the Green Eyed Lady"

Reviewed 16 May 2014

small tasting room, and notes saying music on some nights of the week, with a very friendly staff,
overall some very good beer, something for everyone
they do fill growlers if you are so inclined
nice little bar, and some locals that hang out (good conversations!)

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Fantastic Belgian and German inspired brews served in a small, but warm and welcoming tasting room. Friendly staff and locals make this experience a real treat for the beer enthusiast.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

I have been to this brewery a couple of times, and both trips have been awesome.

As the title says, the porter is awesome. I am a picky porter drinker, so for me to say this is rare.

Both times we ordered food from a variety of places and had it delivered to the brewery to enjoy with our beers. Once was a delicious pizza and the other time burgers. Kind of nice to have a variety of food to choose from! :) The brewery is awesome for setting that up.

I look forward to returning again.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

The is a great place to try different beer styles. They have 9 beers that you can taste. There are various options including a pick of 6 beers of 3-4oz pours for $8. You can also get a 5 oz pour of most for $1 each. We had great fun trying the different types including some with exotic flavors that come through (pistachio, grapefruit etc). As a bonus, you can order take-out from 2 restaurants in town and eat while you taste. The tasting room is small so be aware that it might be crowded at times. We were there on a Sunday afternoon and had no problem. The bar tender was very friendly and knowledgeable about their products. We even got great advice on picking a local hike location from the other patrons. This brewery is a rare find. Don't tell anyone!