and 1 more site!
The Smithfield Inn Bed and Breakfast, Restaurant and Tavern
Ranked #1 of 3 Smithfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We arrived about 8pm on a Wednesday evening to eat and after being ignored for several minutes by busy waiting staff (who could have said "someone will be with you in a moment") we were about to go elsewhere when we were apologetically offered a table outside - which we were delighted with! The food was delicious and arrived quickly and it was great to enjoy sitting outside under the gazebo to the side of the tavern and enjoy the sunset and our first time seeing fireflies! Friendly and helpful staff after our initial experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth L

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Horrid customer service! Being a resident of Smithfield, I had invited my parents out for Father’s Day to have brunch and spend the afternoon in town. We arrived at the Smithfield Inn approximately 20 minutes prior to our reservation (also prior to the start of brunch). It was at that time we discovered that they had lost our reservation. Having made the reservation more than a week in advance, and being told that the facility was booked, we asked to speak to a manager.

Understandably, human errors will be made. I am sure this was not the first time this has happened to this (or any) establishment. The hostess went to grab the manager, who then REFUSED to come speak to us. Instead, she gave us the business card of the general manager, who was not on site. The general manager insisted she would correct the issue and call the Inn.

After some time, the hostess began seating for the brunch service. It was clear that they had pushed our party off to the side in terms of immediate needs to be addressed. We asked to speak with the manager one more time, who again REFUSED to speak to us. By then, my father was completely put-off by the service, mentioned we might have better luck at a local fast-food place, and wanted to leave. Start to finish, we were there for approximately 30 minutes without resolution.

It saddens me that a local eatery would treat its patrons so poor. I can’t imagine that they did not have a contingency plan in place for overbooking or a lost reservation. Additionally, even a floor manager at a Denys will come speak to an upset customer. The hostess was having additional problems locating others' reservations and accommodating requests, however I can’t speak for the service those customers received once seated, as we were never given that pleasure.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Meredith L
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We always stop here when we have a chance. Brunswick Stew is normally our Signature Dish... very good. Calamari and Butter Milk Breaded Sweet Onion Rings are always good. Don't miss trying the Fried Green Tomato BLT! Decor takes you back to another time and is charming... a little wear evident, but who needs polish in a B&B that George Washington stayed in! Wait staff is attentive and friendly. You will enjoy it!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Smithfield is a charming village that takes you back to a different time. The Smithfield Inn fits right in, but neglect is evident everywhere, from the worn indoor/outdoor carpet on the front steps, to the paint chipping off the outside of the building, to the main staircase pulling away from the wall. Surely some maintenance could be done to spruce it up a bit and make it look more well cared for. That said, we had a nice experience here. The bedroom was indeed small, but it had a sitting room adjoining it with a very small TV. The sitting room wasn't really very useable, with awkward and uncomfortable seating. I looked into some other rooms where the sitting room looked more comfortable. The food in the Tavern was OK but not great. I ordered a Smithfield ham and brie quesadilla. There was very little cheese on it and mostly Smithfield ham, dry and very flat. The dinner in the main dining room, however, was excellent. I had the crab cakes, and they were very large and well presented. Our waiter (Gilbert) was the epitome of Southern charm and hospitality. The only thing I can complain about is that when we made our reservations we let them know that we were celebrating a special anniversary. They acknowledged that fact when we checked in, but no mention of it was made for the rest of our stay, although we observed other people in the dining room being recognized for birthdays, etc. Breakfast in the morning was very disappointing. Bacon eggs and toast, nothing special that you wouldn't cook for yourself routinely at home. I was expecting something more elegant, perhaps a special omelet, homemade pastries, something special like I've had at other B&B's. Breakfast definately needs improvement. Still, we did enjoy our stay even if it may not have met all of our expectations.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank deedeetee
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Just returned from a lovely weekend stay at The Smithfield Inn. This was my first visit to the Inn and could not have been more pleased. My brother and I, and our families ,treated my parents to a dinner and a stay in one of the beautiful suites to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary and they were thrilled. The Inn was so accommodating to us in many ways from seating our family of 10 in a separate dining area to making a very delicious red velvet cake for my parents. The many suites are large, and beautifully decorated. My family stayed in the Garden House which has a 2 bedroom suite which was perfect for a family of four. The dinner was excellent, we also enjoyed having drinks from the tavern while sitting on the front porch. I recommend the Bloody Mary's and of course the ham biscuits!! Best ever!! Looking so forward to returning soon, what a fun way to celebrate and honor our parents!!

Room Tip: The two large second floor suites have gas fireplaces and a large sitting area. The Garden House ha...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This is the second time I've had an opportunity to stay at the Smithfield Inn and I like it more and more each time. The rooms are large, my second floor suite had a bedroom/ bath/ sitting room. Comfortably appointed and the bed was perfect. Decorated up for the holidays this place was homey and very comfortable. Staff is very pleasant and service is second to none. My highlight is the Tavern restaurant in the main house. Food is awesome (She-Crab Soup is to die for!!) and setting is comfortably upscale. If you have a chance stop, enjoy and take in this piece of historic Americana (it's been around since 1752).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The suite (sitting room, bedroom and bath with entrance foyer) was at the back of the second floor and was delightful. Great bed, two flat screen TV's in case you and traveling companion have different viewing tastes. You're cheating yourself if you don't take at least one dinner at the Tavern downstairs. Best food in town. Great hot breakfast cooked to order is included.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Steven P

Been to The Smithfield Inn Bed and Breakfast, Restaurant and Tavern? Share your experiences!