“Not the right picture of The Grille”
Review of The Grille - CLOSED

The Grille
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Windsor, Virginia
“Not the right picture of The Grille”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

This photo is not the correct photo for the place. This picture is actually a photo of The Taste of Smithfield in downtown Smithfield. This main image for The Grille needs to be changed.

Visited January 2014

Smithfield, Virginia
“Poor Service”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

After reading the reviews, I decided to give this place a try Saturday night. For starters all the handicapped spaces were taken by cars bearing no handicap windshield card or license plate. A sign at the front door indicated I should seat myself. I should have known better when I saw that sign but I entered and seated myself in the room adjacent to the bar. After sitting there for 15 minutes and seeing no sign of a waiter or waitress, I left the place. Needless to say I am disappointed because I had read and heard that their prime rib was outstanding.

• Visited October 2013
Isle of Wight County, Virginia
“The Grille: The best it's ever been, and getting better!”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Upon dining for my first visit since it became The Grille, under the ownership of Mike and Paul, the interior hadn't been changed much except that the two outer rooms had been swapped. What once had pool tables is now the main dining room, which was a welcome change since the restrooms are mere feet away.
The menu has been completely re-tooled, which was great news to me; under the two previous owners, the kitchen cooked with soy oil which always had me running to the bathroom within an hour of eating. It was so bad that I stopped eating here. Now, The Grille has won me back, in a BIG way.
One of my little "rules" is to start with a burger when I'm new to a restaurant (unless it's Italian, then I start with the pizza). If a place can make a good burger, I'm hooked. The Grille had me coming back to try more menu options in no time flat.
Paul's burger is only $6.50, which is a better price than most restaurants anywhere. Thick and juicy, with a great meaty flavor that really satisfies. The french fries are cut in-house, something nearly unheard of anymore, and served with a bit of skin still on them with a terrific flavor.
Also great from the menu: the Club sandwich, which includes all the normal "club" items you'd expect, especially very crisp bacon and perfectly grown tomatoes.
Probably the biggest surprise is their seafood choices. Dining with my family, mom tried the flounder. At $13.95, the price is just right, but one taste had us all raving over it.
I'm not normally a fish person, because too often it's just way too "fishy" in taste and smell. Not at The Grille: the flounder was amazing, not soggy like many places, with perfect flavor and no fishiness. I'm sold.
I can also say the same for the shrimp, also $13.95. Large and delicious, not overly breaded either. My wife tried the crabcake and found it to be an inch thick, with hardly any breading at all, pure crap lump.
Side choices are numerous: fries, green beans, lima beans, cole slaw, fried potato chips, are just a few of the many to choose from. If you like country selections of vegetables, you'll be very happy at The Grille.
The menu is being tweaked and the new offerings should debut soon, according to co-owner Mike Watkins. They have a facebook presence and are working on a website. The menu is available on facebook for those who'd like to peruse.
Lunch at The Grille is unlimited for just $7.95 at the buffet. On three different daily visits to the buffet, I found the chicken nicely done, the green beans were melt-in-your-mouth good, the bar-b-que was elegant (two sauces to choose from, one tomato-based and one vinegar-based, still can't pick a favorite), and fish was even available during one visit.
Simply put: whatever misgivings you might have had about 201 Battery Park Road, put them aside. The Grille is the finest restaurant to every occupy this location, and I have yet to find any offerings I didn't like.

• Visited September 2012
Smithfield, Virginia
“Bar and Dining”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Part of the place is a dining room with mural on wall of the String. Lots of thunderbird car pics on wall as this used to be called Thunderbird Grill. The other half is a bar. That side was busy. We have gone there several times and have enjoyed the food. Window sills could be cleaner. Service is fine. Prices are fine. Lots of food for the price.

Visited September 2012
Smithfield, VA
“Prime Prime Rib”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We dine there frequently for dinner, almost never for lunch. That we keep coming back says something regardless of what else one may wish to infer from this review. One of the draws for us at "The Grille" is the Friday night prime rib. Over the years, we have noted that it has varied from so-so to very good, and you can't predict when it will be what. Usually, it's at least good. But last Friday, I was served the most perfectly slow roasted prime rib I've had ... perhaps anywhere. Tender beyond imagination. Seasoned, but not overly so. I like mine between med. and med. rare. To have a chance of getting that, I order medium rare and let it go at that. It is what it is when it comes out of the oven. That's life. Otherwise, I fear it may be med. well or ... worse. But it's usually quite good.

The Grille seems to focus on some of its smoked meat sandwiches and entrees. We've found them to be quite good. They also have a few seafood dishes, fried shrimp, for example. We've not tried many soups as of late, but the original BP Grill had some good ones. Monday evening, the queen wanted to do a quick dinner somewhere other than home, and we did the Grille yet again. I had a pretty good grilled tuna sandwich with a side of good french fries ... that could have been cooked just a bit more. The queen had their triple salad plate ... ample portions of tuna salad, chicken salad and very good potato salad, with some sliced tomatoes and sliced boiled egg on the side. She eagerly ate half of it and took the rest to work today for lunch. I've always found that triple salad plate to be plenty, and plenty good.

The Grille often has dinner specials, such as surf and turf (steak and shrimp). Each week night is usually a different and predictable special. Monday night they have 50 cent wings ... which I regret I've not tried yet.

They have a decent wine and beer selection, and a full bar, complete with lady bartender. I've grown fond of a can of Lime-a-Rita over ice as of late. And the price is right.

Like many restaurants, the waitstaff rounds out the service level. They will make you or break you. We find that the Grille has nice people waiting tables, but they sometimes seem understaffed ... and other times, we'll find that there is one waitress and a lot of customers. Hard to predict traffic in the restaurant business. But the people in the kitchen can cook up a good meal at a decent price, almost every time.

You can dine in the main dining room, in the dining room adjacent to the bar. I don't know if you can dine in the pool room or not. It, thankfully, has a closed door between it and the bar.

All in all, we approve of The Grille and what it has to offer. Worth a visit.

• Visited September 2012