“Southern Elegance!!!”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 20 July 2014

What ever your purpose is in Smithfield don't forget to allocate time for a meal at this jewel of Southern Elegance. The Tavern is located in a beautifully maintained building that drips with charm and history. The menu is not overly large but there are plenty of mouth watering options. Members of our party loved the She Crab soup. This is the BEST with large amounts of crab and can compare to any you've ever had. The Fish and Chips are beautiful and the portion can easily feed two with an additional side. The Baked Ham Sandwich is another item that you don't want to miss, make sure you get the sweet potato fries as these are to die for.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We came out to Smithfield on a hot, sunny Wednesday in search of good southern cooking, and we definitely found it at the Smithfield Inn. The Inn has been holding forth in this picturesque village since 1752, and it's not hard to see why. It's in a fine old house on Main Street, nearly next door to the old Isle of Wight County Courthouse and just down the street from the main shopping area. Whether they've got a parking lot, I don't know, but we had no trouble at all parking on the street virtually in front of the Inn.

We were welcomed by a friendly and attentive staff, and were delighted by the menu. Both Madame and I started off with the Southern Tasting Plate starter -- fried green tomatoes, bread-and-butter pickles, pimiento cheese with crackers, and (of course) Smithfield ham, sliced very thin -- it was terrific. I moved on to an excellent soft-shell crab sandwich, while great little yeast rolls with ham were a delight on the other side of the table. Glasses of wine were inexpensive, the dining area was cool and comfortable, and service was friendly and well-organized.

We haven't stayed at the Inn, although we'd love to do so someday; room rates seem to be quite agreeable, like the prices on the luncheon menu; and we'd really like to have a few dinners at the Inn as well. But today's visit was a great introduction, and gave us ample reason to come back as soon as we can --

1  Thank Itinerant_scholar
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I could not find a separate listing for the William Rand Tavern so I am writing this here. The menus for the main dining room and the tavern are similar but not identical, but I'm sure the quality of food is the same. And the food is terrific! I enjoyed all of it, from the sweet potato fritters (which were yummy and different from the ever-popular sweet potato fries you now find everywhere) to my side salad (with a never-tried before honey and lavender vinaigrette, which was delicious) to my chicken pot pie (with its super flaky crust!) to the bread pudding (which was a perfect ender with its nuts and raisins)! Since the tavern is not a white-tablecloth, fancy, expensive eatery, I did not expect the food to be so interesting and high quality. I am very happy to have discovered this place and am sure I'll make the trip to Smithfield again just to eat here!

1  Thank Aibutiej
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Is a slice of historic Smithfield. Great foods and wines. Very friendly local hang out and visitors too. Love this place.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

My husband and I are local and have patronized this establishment several times. My daughter booked a 3:00 PM reservation on Mother's Day. My has heard all about how wonder this place is and has never had a chance to dine there while visiting the area. We arrived promptly on time and patiently had a 5-7 minute wait to be seated. When we were lead to our table we were placed in the bar at a table in the corner! Now, we understand the place is very small and only has 2 small dining rooms and the bar area. When the server came to us to order drinks we questioned why we were seated at the bar. She explained that they were very busy today, and that those in the dining room had reservations! May daughter explained we had a 3:00 PM reservation and I stated that if we had to eat at the bar that I didn't want to stay if we could not be served in one of the dining rooms. She went away to check on our reservation and cam with "there is a large party in the dining room and if would like to wait to see if there is a 'no show' for the 3 PM seating then she could then move us. My daughter pointed out that we arrived on time for 3 PM seating and asked why would a late arrival seating take precedence of a party that arrived on time. By this time I had noticed that they didn't even have the regular menu and I pointed this out to my daughter. She informed me that it was not mentioned at during the booking that there would be a "special Mother's Day Menu". We left an went to Smithfield Station and was treated like Kings and Queens even without a reservation! This entire incident has put such a "bad taste in my mouth" I doubt I ever go back. I know I will not be back until they get some kind of management that knows how to run a restaurant. The hardest part though, is not being able to there for our Traditional Anniversary Dinner..... It's all about the ambience why we like to patronized this type of establishment. Without the atmosphere, why bother?

1  Thank VirginiaTravelbuddy

Been to Smithfield Inn? Share your experiences!