“Charming non-franchise hotel with some quirks” 4 of 5 bubbles

Smithfield Station
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Smithfield
GreenLeadersGold level
Lansdowne, Virginia
“Charming non-franchise hotel with some quirks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

My wife and I spent our first anniversary here and found the facility to be clean and charmingly appointed with a nautical theme. We stayed on the 2nd floor above the retail shops, and were disturbed late at night by guests walking back and forth on the 3rd floor. It sounded as if elephants were clomping around even though the above guests didn't seem to be rowdy. I gather it's due to the lack of sound insulation between the floors? The bathroom is very spacious with granite counters and a huge shower. Our room had a balcony facing the river, however it's pretty small and only had room for one chair. It was very convenient having a mini fridge, safe, and fireplace in the room, however the lighting was very very dim even with all of the fixtures and lamps turned on.

Breakfast was better than the typical continental fare most hotels offer, but only available between 6-9am -- which is disappointing when wanting to sleep in a little more during vacation. Windsor Castle Park is across the street and offers nice trails for jogging or a scenic walk (I recommend walking to downtown Smithfield through here). We found the staff to be generally friendly.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
Thank you Steve P for your review. We take great pride in our family's business and are quite passionate about everything we do here. The suggestions you have made are taken seriously and we will always strive to make our venue the best it can be. We look forward to a return visit from you and your bride!

Yours in Hospitality,
Randy Pack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Milford, DE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

We took a get away Sunday and Monday stay on a package deal. We tried to register early at 1:30PM but nothing was ready. They took my cell number and 45 minutes later they called. We spent the time in the quaint main street area going through the antique shops. What a great stroll into yesteryear.

The hotel room was spotless and very comfortable! The room had a balcony and overlooked the river and the boat dock - beautiful view. The staff was great; friendly and helpful with directions.

The attached restaurant was one of the best we have visited. The service alittle slow for Sunday dinner, but we had no plans to go anywhere. Dinner time had some of the best crab cakes I ever tasted. The $5 burger night on Monday was awesome. They also had lunch specials in the bar that was very good. The room also came with a free continental breakfast. It was actually a full breakfast by any standard; scambled eggs, waffle iron, bacon, sausage, and naturally Smithfield ham, misc. danish, donuts, cereals, bagels, toast, fruit, coffee, teas, juices and more! What a great spread!

We did the walking tour of the adjacent nature center (free). Take water or drinks with you - none on the trail that we saw. What a great way to exercise and look at nature! We were very impressed with the friendliness of the hikers.

If you're lookng for a quiet serene getaway, this is it. It was so quiet the only sounds we heard were the birds and crickets. We can't wait t return. There are very few places I have visited that gets all "fives" from me... Smithfield Station has earned it.
We also left 3 hours before the earth quake hit... I hope they faired well. When we left they we making plans for the hurricane!

Room Tip: All rooms face the water, pets not allowed in hotel but are in the cottages.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 21 September 2011
Mac4216 - Thank you. Everything that you said is exactly what we try and accompolish here. My family and staff are very passionate about what we do and we truly appreciate your kind words! Please introduce yourself tome the next time you come down as I would love to put a face with a name. Hope to see you soon.

Randy Pack
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

We stayed at Smithfield Station this past weekend and I have to say, it was excellent. We have no complaints, only raves. The view is to die for for. We kayaked, walked the trails and biked in the park across the street. The town of Smithfield is so charming. We ate one night at the Smithfield Station and one night at The Bakery in town. Both were superb. The Sunday breakfast at Smithfield Station was awesome. We definitely hope to go back here again. Our room had everything we needed and was very clean, nice furnishings.

Room Tip: Beautiful place!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 12 September 2011
Wow, thanks! Really glad we made believers out of you guys! Can't wait to see you again!
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

I booked my Smithfield hotel room online. Shortly after paying for it I received a call from the hotel stating that the room I booked was no longer available and asking whether I would accept a different room, so I said yes. When I got to the hotel, it turned out that this room was in the old part of the hotel above the restaurant, it was dated and not at all what I had envisioned. I was not happy with the room in the least. Donna, at the front desk was AMAZING! Long story short... even though I had to switch rooms for the last night of my stay, it was still an unbelievable experience. I got the room that I wanted and experienced some of the best customer service ever. Thank you!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the renovated part of the hotel. If you want a balcony, make sure you specify it...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Magda O
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay! Our rooms in our main building are very nice, but come check them out next spring after they get their full makeover and I promise you will not be disappointed! I have passed on your compliments to Donna as well, she truly is amazing! Thanks again for sucha great review and we hope to see you soon!
Woodstock, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

My wife and I made a trip to Smithfield for a family wedding and stayed at the Smithfield station. It was great! We left two small children with Grandma and were looking for some time to overselves. The Smithfield Station offered everything we were looking for: a big room with an extremely comfortable and relaxing king size bed, complimentary breakfast, an awesome restruarant serving great seafood, and Smithfield Station is within walking distance of the charming southern town of Smithfield. You can also head across the street to a park that includes bridges over streams and a trail through a park. We saw jelly fish and crabs on our walk. I will definitely go back!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Joel A
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 24 August 2011
Always glad to host nice people -and a Hokie to boot! Hope your weekend was relaxing and you enjoyed your time away. If we can ever be of further service, please let us know!
Lexington, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

I was there for almost two weeks for a business trip. First 4 nights were in the newer part over the shops. Large room, large bathroom with shower and whirlpool tub - I really liked this room. The rest of the time I was in one of the cottage rooms (Golf Room). Room was not as big or nice, but I still slept well. I was concerned about moving to this room since it is right by the bridge, but they have done a good job of soundproofing the room, because I didn't hear the traffic. The food at the resturant and bar was uneven. The boom-boom shrimp (or bang-bang shrimp) appetizer is great. Some of the entrees were very good, some just OK. Service at the restuarant was kind of like the food, uneven. The lady that prepared the breakfast in the morning was great, and the bar service was really good, but the table service was all over the place. Some nights were great, but one night in particular was so bad (waited over 20 minutes for our waitress to come take our order) that I just paid for my drink at the bar and left. Would I stay here again? Probably - if I had a room over the shops. It's a nice little independent hotel. And if you need to work off some of that shrimp, the trails in the park across the marsh are great for running and walking. Oh, and I didn't stay in one of the rooms over the restaurant, but some of the people in my group said the balconies up there are very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a stay over the shops.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank NuclearDad
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 22 August 2011
Thanks for sharing this review with us NuclearDad. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you would come back and see us again! Consistency is the name of the game in the restaurant business and while you may not have been crazy about all our dishes I am happy that you found some you did enjoy! I look forward ot seeing you again!
Hagerstown, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights in the Deluxe Lodge room. The hotel is small but very comfortable…we felt right at home. The hotel sits right on the water and has beautiful views of the river. The staff was courteous and knowledgeable of the surrounding areas. The room was immaculate. The king bed was the most comfortable bed we had ever stayed in (including our own!). The room included a gas fireplace and DirecTV. The room also had a balcony that overlooked the river, which was beautiful. The bathroom was large and included a roman shower. There are several small shops around the hotel and a small boardwalk in the rear. The restaurant located here was also very good. This hotel is perfect for a relaxing weekend getaway, especially given its proximity to Williamsburg and VA Beach. Everything was perfect and we highly recommended this hotel for anyone visiting the area or looking for a relaxing weekend getaway….it was perfect!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
Wow, and with 32 other reviews, you guys have really stayed in some places! Can't thank you enough for sharing your wonderful experience with others. Please let me know the next tiem you are coming down as I want to add that extra personal touch to your stay as a thank you for being such great customers! See you soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Smithfield
Wedmore Place
#14 of 75 in Williamsburg
Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South

Been to Smithfield Station? Share your experiences!