“Great place to stay!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Virginia
“Great place to stay!”
Reviewed 10 December 2011

We returned to Smithfield Station on a Groupon and enjoyed it even more than on our first stay. We stayed in a beautiful room in the Lodge. King sized bed, electric fireplace, Directv, enormous bathroom, and river views. The hotel is quiet and the food in the restaurant is great. The seafood is outstanding. The atmosphere in the bar is jovial, with lots of locals and a fantastic bartender named Pat. Smithfield itself is a gem of a small town with friendly people and beautiful houses. It was a perfect break before the rush of the holidays. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I would recommend the rooms in the Lodge section. They are more updated then the rooms by the resta...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
So glad you were able to take advantage of one of our special offers! It is always our wish that when folks leave here, they do so with good memories! Thanks for the glowing review and hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I apologize for the lengthy review in advance, but I want to make sure to tell the whole story of our amazingly relaxing and quaint vacation! My fiance and I took a trip to Smithfield Station a few weeks ago on a Groupon purchase we made. I reserved one of the Lodge whirlpool rooms well in advance, as to assure for a more relaxing weekend. Unfortunately, when we checked in, we realized that our room was not in fact a whirlpool room and that they were sold out for the night. The front desk staff was extremely apologetic and offered a number of suggestions on how to fix the problem, including allowing us to switch to the Marina Cottage for our second night stay. We took her up on the offer and enjoyed our one night stay in the Lodge room, which by the way, is an amazing room in and of itself, with the electric fireplace, balcony overlooking the waterfront and marina, and an oversized bathroom with enormous tiled shower. If we had not originally booked a room with the whirpool, we would have been completely content with the Lodge room because it was beautifully decorated and larger than any standard hotel room.

When we woke up the next morning, we went to the front desk to discuss when we could swith rooms and that's when we were personally greeted by Ron, one of the owners. He personally took us to view the Marina Cottage to make sure it would be satisfactory and of course, it was! Ron told us the cottages were recently rennovated and had all new furnishings, which was a nice added touch. If you're set on a king sized bed, stick with the Lodge rooms, because the Marina cottage has a queen sized bed. However, personally, the bed size didn't matter to us and I think the cottages are a unique experience being right on the pier where the boats dock, plus they have all the amenities of the Lodge rooms and it seems like you're in your own private little vacation.

After being completely satisfied with our room change, we decided to take a walking tour into downtown Smithfield. There is a boardwalk directly across the street from the Station that takes you to a 4+ mile walking trail around Windsor Castle Outdoor Park. It's a great way to get in a little exercise before you start your day. And when you want to break for lunch, you can veer off the trail into the downtown area and visit some of the local restaurants or shops. We took our lunch break at Smithfield Bakery & Cafe, which was excellent. The wait was a little long since it's a small cafe and we went on a holiday weekend, but it was well worth it.

That afternoon we sat out on the pier in front of our cottage and mingled with some of the boaters that just docked. I came back in that evening and took a relaxing bath in the whirpool tub and read a book and then we prepared for dinner at the restaurant at the hotel. Being a girl that grew up on the Outer Banks, I'm somewhat of a seafood snob and I will have to admit that the Station restaurant was great. We had the bacon wrapped scallops for an appetizer and they were perfectly marinated. For my entree, I chose the Seafood Platter and it was equally as tasty, especially the crabcake (which had little filler and primarily crab, which is a big plus!). Ron even came by our table that evening to make sure we were enjoying our stay and we ended up chatting for 15 minutes or so.

Overall, besides the room mixup, the weekend was exactly what we wanted it to consist of - good food, relaxation and beautiful scenery. I have traveled quite a bit and love to go to foreign countries and exotic beaches. But what is nice about Smithfield Station is that it's a getaway that made us feel like we were miles away from home, when we were really just an hour or so away from home. The owners and staff at Smithfield Station exude the Southern hospitality that make you want to keep coming back! We're already looking for another Groupon to purchase to go back again!

Room Tip: The Lodge rooms are fantastic, newly rennovated and much larger than your standard hotel rooms. How...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marlo R
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Thank you Marlo for such a great review! It truly is our desire that all our guests leave with the type of experience that you have had! The gentlemen you refer to, Ron, is my father and I am glad to hear that he handled things so well while I was gone lol! He has taught my brother and I an awful lot about customer service and again he proves it here. We hope to see you again soon. Oh, and checkout groupon getaways today and you just may find what you are looking for!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 15 November 2011

A group of us took a speed boat to the Smithfield Station and stayed in the cottages overlooking the marina. WHAT A GREAT TIME! We docked the boat right outside our cottage. It had a private balcony with chairs to sit &drink coffee in the mornings &coctails in the evenings. The restaurant had amazing seafood and a full bakery on site that provided a birthday apple pie for our captain.
Next day, we walked across the street into town over the rolling park bridges (beautiful 1 mile walk) and visited downtown smithfield. I had not been there in 20 years and I walked away in awe how great the little town is and the atmosphere. Highly recommend the Smithfield Station and boating if you have access.

Room Tip: we loved the cottages by the marina. If it was warmer, I would have loved to use the outdoor pool...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 19 November 2011
I am so happy you folks enjoyed yourselves! The way you utilized the cottages is exactly how they were intended as we love boating ourselves! We look forward to seeing you again and thanks for such a nice review!
Macon, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We stayed here last Spring,and apparently I failed to write a review,as we are making plans to visit again soon. We had a King room with a balcony overlooking the marina. The room was very clean & quiet, beautiful view,nice TV refirg & microzap. We had great breakfasts both mornings, nice lunches with huge sandwiches. We loved the park across the street as the walkway goes over the marsh,and the walkways around the park give you a great outdoors exercise experience. The town has a number of neat shops nearby,and Main Street Restaurant has a wide variety of choices that were very reasonable in price. If you want a quiet getaway,with a serene vista overlooking the river and the marsh,get a room here with a balcony. This is a wonderful family run hotel,and with the on site restaurant,you never need get back in your transportation.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Better late than never! Thanks for the great review and we look forward to seeing you soon!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Found Smithfield Station because of a Groupon. My husband and I love anything on the water and were really looking forward to our visit. Most of the reviewers stayed in the new building and were very pleased, unfortunately the new hotel was not available for our stay so we stayed in the original building, which is called the restaurant building. It was nice and quaint with great and friendly staff. The rooms are very ordinary and on par with an older Motel 6. Rooms were clean and standard size. The major wonder was that most rooms had a lovely outside balcony overlooking the water. We visited in the Fall and were not able to take full advantge of the balcony.

Friday night dinner was nice, the atmosphere was friendly and there seemed to be a lot of locals. We were oririnally seted in the front area off the reception desk, but asked to move because there was quite a draft from the front door. They quickly moved us to the lounge, which was much warmer and friendlier.

On Saturday morning, we had the free continental breakfast, which was what one would expect, food was plentiful, and restocked as needed. A couple of nits were lack of cream cheese for bagels, lack of jelly for toast, and the big problem was the coffee. It's been a long time since I've had such bad coffee. It's what used to be available in the US before Starbucks arrived. On the upside, the restaurant is bright and airy and a lovely place to sit and relax.

Had breakfast buffet on Sunday and it was good, but notices on the wall said their brunch is award winning, and couldn't see why that would be. Also, had the same bad coffee. I am not a coffee snob, but my days begin with a good cup of coffee, and the coffee was so bad, that I almost drove down the street to a coffee shop.

On the upside... there is a great park acros the street that is well marked and well maintained. A must see and do experience. The historic town of Smithfield is a lovely place to roam around.

All in all.... I would visit again when it is warmer to take full advantage of the waterfront experience. and I would bring my own coffee. Since everyone raved about the new building, I would definitely opt for it, because the restaurant building is just ordinary and not worth a 3 1/2 drive from DC.

Room Tip: Don't go unless you can get into the new building, and go when the weather is warm so you can ta...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Thanks for showing the positives and the areas that could use improvement. You will be happy to know that the rooms that you stayed in are scheduled for remodel this winter and by spring should be every bit as nice as our new Lodge rooms. Intersting comment on our coffee as we normally here praise about it ... we will look in to it and see what may have changed! My family and I value your feedback, and we use constructive criticism to improve the guest experience because our goal is that every guest is nothing less than delighted. On behalf of my family and our dedicated staff, thank you again for your visit and your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Smithfield Station soon.
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Like many others, we discovered this tucked away place through a "Groupon" offer, and met our son and his family for a fall weekend together. We were fortunate to stay in the "Poolside Cottage" with ample room to play on the floor with young grandsons, snack on pizza and enjoy a cozy evening by the fire. The scenic view - river, wetlands, boats & sunset was wonderful, strolling the village, walking the parkway, both relaxing & fun.
Our negative comment regards the extremely poor service and food quality in their restaurant - in their defense, it was a busy Friday evening. It was a mistake. Morning breakfast was fine. It would be wise to check whether there are large groups dining. They get the attention. Families do not.

Room Tip: Request to stay in a cottage on the boardwalk - This was a neat place to be, removed from restaurant...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
I am glad you were able to take advantage of one of our deals and get the upgrade to the cottage! These cottages are very unique to Smithfield and we think they are one of the neat things that set us apart. Great customer service can make or break a meal and I am sorry that you did not feel yours was up to par. Unfortunately, that does happen from time to time despite our best efforts. My family appreciates all your comments as we have a great passion about what we do here. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Reviewed 26 October 2011

We spent two nights at the Smithfield Station Inn and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room was absolutely beautiful with a nice view of the river. It was very spacious with new, nice furniture and a very comfortable king bed. The bathroom also was great, again very spacious with an over sized jacuzzi tub, tile floors, double sinks and a large, separate shower. There was also a small fridge. We had a special package deal that included champagne and strawberries which were ready in our room even though we checked in early. The town was very historical and worth taking a walk through. We also enjoyed spending a morning walking the trails at the Windsor Castle Park across the street. Smithfield is well situated to lots of other attractions. We spent one afternoon in Norfolk visiting a museum, a battleship and having dinner. Our first night we ate at the restaurant at the Smithfield Station and had a very good meal. The complimentary full breakfast buffet was also served there and they offered many choices. It was a great two days and I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank placespeoplethings
We'd take you back in a heartbeat too! Love to have happy guests! Tell all your friends and we will make it a party! Hope to see you again soon! Thanks!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Smithfield
Hampton Inn Suffolk
Hampton Inn Suffolk
#1 of 12 in Suffolk
Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg

Been to Smithfield Station? Share your experiences!