“Love, Love, Love this Place!!!”
Review of Smithfield Station

Smithfield Station
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Smithfield
GreenLeadersGold level
Richmond, Virginia
“Love, Love, Love this Place!!!”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We drive from Richmond at least once a year to stay here. It's only an hour drive, far enough from home to relax and enjoy ourselves. From the moment you arrive you are treated special. My husband and I stay in the Lodge building as we like having a private balcony. The rooms are beautiful and oh so comfortable! We love the peaceful surroundings of the Pagan River. While here I suggest a drive or walk into the town of Smithfield, it's quite a treat with lots of little shops to wander through. Perfect weekend get away, we like to stay in the Spring and then again in the Fall. You will not be disappointed!!

Room Tip: Stay in a King room in the Lodge.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thanks for the wonderful review Brenda! We have always suggested to our Richmond folks that you are far enough away to be away, but not so far that it is difficult to get to. We are very proud of our quaint town and welcome guests with open arms. Come back and see us any time!

Randy Pack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Mebane, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We booked a 2 night Travelzoo special which included a bottle of champagne and a $30 restaurant credit. We were pleasantly surprised by the outstanding Pagan River and marsh view from our private balcony. The rooms were large with a fireplace and refrigerator. No microwave however!
Smithfield is filled with history, dating from the 1700's. There is a not a great number of restaurants in Smithfield but the ones we tried were very good.

Room Tip: All rooms have water views so any room is good.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
I am glad you could take advantage of one of our special travel deals David D! The travelzoo package was a great opportunity for folks to enjoy Smithfield and Smithfield Station at a fantastic rate! I hope you have the opportunity to stay and dine with us again!

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 28 March 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Smithfield Station in conjunction with a birthday luncheon that we hosted for my father. Overall, the Smithfield Station is the finest hotel that you are going to find in the area. My wife and I recommend that you splurge and stay in the lodge; we selected one of their “Parkview Rooms” in the Restaurant building. The room was comfy and quite quaint; however it was not worth the asking price. The rooms above the restaurant are accessible by stairs only and use a standard key for door access. The other drawback involved going all the way over to the next building to secure a room key.
The Smithfield Station is within walking distance of the town! The walk is just beautiful and the water views are just as stunning. I was raised in the next county over, so there is no place like home. If you live in the Hampton Roads area and want a stay-cation destination, look these guys up! Don’t forget to stay for a meal! The food is pretty good. See my Smithfield Station Restaurant review.

Room Tip: Stay in the Lodge, it has been updated and is worth the extra money!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thanks for the review Joe1005! It is interesting to hear folks discuss keys vs plastic key cards. When we expanded in 2007 we had some lively debate amongst ourselves as to whether or not to switch to key cards. We decided that keys were still sexier than cards and that we wanted to stay with them! I actually told that to our banker when he asked why we didn't go to cards and he looked at me like I was crazy. Smithfield Station is not just an ordinary hotel though and we really did feel that keys were a bit nostalgic and could be appreciated. You are right; the Lodge is worth the extra money. Our Parkview rooms are nice and updated, but the Lodge has all the amenities we could ever consider putting in a room after 25 years in business. We hope to see you again soon.

Yours in Hospitality,
Harrisonburg,VA
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

I surprised my wife with a weekend getaway to Smithfield station for her birthday. We had a lodge room with a king sized bed, an electric fireplace, high def TV, and a great river view. The first thing we noticed was how clean and well maintained everything is throughout the entire facility. The second thing we noticed was how friendly the staff was during our stay. From check in to check out, everyone was extremely attentive to us.

We will definitely consider Smithfield Station for a quick weekend getaway trip in the future. We had an excellent romantic weekend at Smithfield, both at the station and the town.

• Stayed March 2013
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Great review unforgiven_me! If you really want to look the Casanova, we have a couple packages that include dinner, champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and even an option of covering the bed in rose petals! Don't worry, we will give you all the credit and simply tell your bride it was all your idea! See you soon!

Randy
NC
Reviewed 23 March 2013

This charming "locally-owned" getaway, a little bit off the beaten path, is nothing like the big chains. All the usual amenities you would expect from a chain hotel are there but the ambiance is decidedly different. I would describe it as slower and more personal, somewhat like you might expect from a bed and breakfast. The hotel is situated in a small town, and the property is in the "old" part of town, away from supermarkets, fast-food, and faster pace. They bill themselves as being wedding-friendly and I would agree.

The rooms here are very nice. There are actually several room styles available ranging from "basic" to exclusive (the lighthouse rooms, for example) depending on your needs (and budget). We stayed in their most basic room and it was a cut above most hotel rooms we stay in. The appointments were more than we expected for the price. There was nothing "swanky" or pretentious about the room, but the high-quality furniture was better than the cheap stuff we typically encounter and the quality of the tile work in the bathroom was amazing. Towels, linens, bedding and the like were also very nice.

Because every room in the property faces the water, there is no middle corridor. The walk-in shower was spacious. The water temperature in the bathroom was fine, and the water pressure in our room (3rd floor) was great. A private balcony porch overlooked the boats and the water. The rooms were quiet and well-insulated from noise (it helps that you don't have rooms on both sides of the hall).

Breakfast is provided (free) at the adjacent restaurant which is also part of the hotel property. We also ate there for lunch. The food was good and the service was friendly.

Note that this property does not overlook the ocean or a large body of water. Rather it sits on (partially above, actually) a small river (Pagan river) and its inlets. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but I mention it only because the photos on their website are taken from an angle that makes it look like it is on a bay or small lake. I'm attaching a photo from our balcony showing the actual view you can expect.

One disappointment was the toilet. Because the shower is so large, the toilet is our room sat in a cramped and dark corner. Some light there would have been much appreciated.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thanks keithwnc! Glad to hear you enjoyed our charming town and hotel. We always welcome guests as if they were family (the kind you like) and believe that a happy positive attitude is the best route through life. After reading your review, I even feel more relaxed lol! Please come see us again.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

My stay at the Smithfield Station was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had since I moved to Virginia. Not a time comes to mind that I have encountered more welcoming or hospitable people. My waitress Katie was the sweetest young woman. You see it was my husband's birthday the weekend we stayed and when Katie was informed of this she sang happy birthday to him and adorned our table with a beautiful dessert and sang to him like an angel! I urge everyone to visit Smithfield and meet the wonderful staff of Smithfield Station, especially Brian.

• Stayed April 2012
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thanks katelyn18! I am glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and that Katie did such a good job for you. She is definitely one of our smiling faces here. I am a bit surprise to hear she sang for you as that is certainly not normal, but she is pursuing a music career so you never can tell! We hope to see you again.

Yours in Hospitality,
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 22 March 2013

My husband and I were treated to a one night stay including dinner at this beautiful place due to the generosity of the owners donation to a local fundraiser silent auction. We stayed on the first floor of the lighthouse. We could not believe how spacious & beautiful our room was. It was more like staying in a home than in a hotel room. There is a king sized murphy bed in the room, and we were comfortable sleeping on it. The owners and staff were so courteous and made us feel very special and welcome. The food at the restaurant was delicious and we ate there in the morning and enjoyed a delicious breakfast buffet. Smithfield Station is definitely at the top of our list for the Smithfield area. Thank you for a memorable and enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: If you want a room that is more like a home, choose the first floor of the lighthouse.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thanks mombyzoe! Its always great to hear that our contributions to local charities are well received! The lighthouse was freshened up this winter as well and I think it looks better than the day it was opened! You are welcome any time!

Randy Pack
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Smithfield
Williamsburg Inn
Williamsburg Inn
#1 of 74 in Williamsburg
Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg
Hampton Inn Suffolk
Hampton Inn Suffolk
#1 of 12 in Suffolk
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)
Colonial Houses-Colonial Williamsburg

Been to Smithfield Station? Share your experiences!