“On the go again.”

Smithfield Station
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Smithfield
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We just stayed at Smithfield Station for a couple of days, (we had a coupon deal). Our room was beautiful, large, clean and comfortable with a corner fireplace. We had a nice little balcony but was a little chilly to sit out. The staff was very nice and helpful. The restaurant on the property had good food, we ate supper and had lunch their. The breakfast also was good. Located close to town. We would recommend staying here.

1  Thank Elsie P
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2013

Welcome to Smithfield Elsie! Thanks for taking the time to review our property and the kind words. Unsolicited recommendations are the best advertising we can get! Hope to see you again soon!

Randy

Reviewed 22 April 2013

We have stayed here before, without our dogs. We are very responsible pet owners and would never take advantage of or misuse a pet friendly property. Our dogs would NEVER be left alone in our room and they are well behaved, on flea and tick protection and very used to being "hotel dogs" We stay in Asheville, Blowing Rock, Williamsburg, Ocracoke, Lake Toxaway and Highlands in very nice accommodations and cannot understand why Smithfield Station can't make a few rooms available to those responsible people that want to travel with their pet family. We will spend money with the Station and the Smithfield area shops and restaurants. We always come thru Smithfield for lunch, but have to go on over to Williamsburg to stay and dine out because Smithfield does not offer any guest/pet accommodations. Therefore, we spend our vacation dollars in Williamsburg .... where we would in Smithfield if we were allowed to have a room with our dogs. Money/deposit is not the problem. Responsible pet owner's and their pets should not be lumped in with the one that has caused destruction. We would appreciate a reply to this review. Thank you and we hope to stay with you again.

1  Thank Myra M
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Good afternoon,

I appreciate the time that you have taken to write a review and you are justified in a response. You sound as if you are a very reasonable owner of pets and in all likelihood you are not the person that our pet policy is geared towards.

Let me give you a little history on our pet policies. In 2007 when we opened the new Lodge at Smithfield Station, we heard from a number of folks that would really like for us to be pet friendly. Listening to our customers has always been a top priority for us here so we gave it a try. We blocked three of our boardwalk rooms for our pet travelling friends. These rooms had easy access to the outdoors and grassy areas for the pets. We devised a per night fee for the pets as well as a security deposit and list of rules.

Unfortunately, this policy saw more abuse than not and our rooms began to see excessive wear and tear and cleaning charges from guests pets. We had, on several occasions, to move and or refund guests money for these rooms. The problem became costly and more importantly, left many guests less than delighted with there accommodations. In 2009, after a two year trial, we decided to go back to our no pet policy and completely renovated the three rooms to a tune of approximately $130,000. Since then we have advertised ourselves as a hotel that does not accept pets. This is an important point, because if we advertise we do not accept pets, but sometimes do, and a guest were to check in with a pet allergy, we would be in a very difficult spot.

I realize that this puts us at a disadvantage as our guests that would prefer to stay with us in Smithfield have to travel to markets that have pet friendly accommodations. We do have several boarding facilities nearby we can recommend, but we are not dumb enough to believe that guests that travel with their pets really want to board them when they get to a new town. We always want to make sure there are options for them though.

As you stated in your review that responsible owners should not be lumped with those that cause destruction, I can not more fully agree. However, we have not found a fair way to differentiate between the two. After all, people get offended if I tell them – Hey, your dog looks like a trouble maker. You better send him down the way ;). I hope you understand where we are coming from. It is not an easy policy for us as we always want guests to enjoy our property and beautiful little town, but we have to do what we feel is the best for the property and guests as a whole. Thanks again for your review, and I look forward to seeing you in Smithfield again. If you have any questions or concerns with this, please feel free to contact me at the property (number withheld due to Trip Advisor rules) and my staff can get you in touch me.

Vice President
Smithfield Station

Reviewed 20 April 2013 via mobile

I purchased the Groupon deal for this hotel (including chocolate covered stawberries, champagne and $40 meal credit) and paid the up grade to one of the boardwalk cabins. What a cute and comfortable place - I'm glad I was here in April since the pool is closed and literally 3 feet from it. It would be so noisy in summer (but probably okay if you had kids with you). The cabin overlooks the marina.. actually the side of one very large boat. And the back of the cabin is only 20 feet from the road - wasn't too noisy except for the occasional truck.

I rated cleanliness a 3 because of 1) a hair in the tub, 2) dead spider on floor and all over window sills and 3) the kitchen had soap but no dish rack or cloths/towels so that I could wash my dishes (and no dishwasher) which made me think how many other guests couldn't wash their dishes and I doubt that housekeeping removes and washes all dishes after each guest.

I would come back... But I'd wait for another Groupon. Not worth $250/ night in my opinion (rate posted on door in room).

• Stayed: April 2013

Thanks for the review TrueNorthH,

We have found our cottages to be some of our more popular locations on the property as they sit right on the edge of the marina and offer an experience unmatched by anything in the area. The river laps at the shore just 20 ft from your room and the boats in the marina are right at your doorstep. We take pride in keeping our rooms clean and can assure you that by the Virginia Department of Health standards our housekeepers return all dishware to the kitchen where it is properly sanitized in a commercial dishwasher before placing it in any of our rooms. They are not allowed to wash in a sink, the same as you would at home. Remember, you are on vacation. Leave the dishwashing to us.

I do hope you visit us again. If I can be of ay further assistance, please let me know.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Great southern hospitality. Fantastic room- clean and very comfortable with a fireplace, whirlpool tub and private balcony. Very nice waterfront restaurant on the property. Walking distance to historic Smithfield. Everything you need for a relaxing weekend.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks Rick B! It sounds as if you had a great time! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

We drive from Richmond at least once a year to stay here. It's only an hour drive, far enough from home to relax and enjoy ourselves. From the moment you arrive you are treated special. My husband and I stay in the Lodge building as we like having a private balcony. The rooms are beautiful and oh so comfortable! We love the peaceful surroundings of the Pagan River. While here I suggest a drive or walk into the town of Smithfield, it's quite a treat with lots of little shops to wander through. Perfect weekend get away, we like to stay in the Spring and then again in the Fall. You will not be disappointed!!

Room Tip: Stay in a King room in the Lodge.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the wonderful review Brenda! We have always suggested to our Richmond folks that you are far enough away to be away, but not so far that it is difficult to get to. We are very proud of our quaint town and welcome guests with open arms. Come back and see us any time!

Thanks again,

Reviewed 5 April 2013

We booked a 2 night Travelzoo special which included a bottle of champagne and a $30 restaurant credit. We were pleasantly surprised by the outstanding Pagan River and marsh view from our private balcony. The rooms were large with a fireplace and refrigerator. No microwave however!
Smithfield is filled with history, dating from the 1700's. There is a not a great number of restaurants in Smithfield but the ones we tried were very good.

Room Tip: All rooms have water views so any room is good.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

I am glad you could take advantage of one of our special travel deals David D! The travelzoo package was a great opportunity for folks to enjoy Smithfield and Smithfield Station at a fantastic rate! I hope you have the opportunity to stay and dine with us again!

Thanks again,

Reviewed 28 March 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Smithfield Station in conjunction with a birthday luncheon that we hosted for my father. Overall, the Smithfield Station is the finest hotel that you are going to find in the area. My wife and I recommend that you splurge and stay in the lodge; we selected one of their “Parkview Rooms” in the Restaurant building. The room was comfy and quite quaint; however it was not worth the asking price. The rooms above the restaurant are accessible by stairs only and use a standard key for door access. The other drawback involved going all the way over to the next building to secure a room key.
The Smithfield Station is within walking distance of the town! The walk is just beautiful and the water views are just as stunning. I was raised in the next county over, so there is no place like home. If you live in the Hampton Roads area and want a stay-cation destination, look these guys up! Don’t forget to stay for a meal! The food is pretty good. See my Smithfield Station Restaurant review.

Room Tip: Stay in the Lodge, it has been updated and is worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for the review Joe1005! It is interesting to hear folks discuss keys vs plastic key cards. When we expanded in 2007 we had some lively debate amongst ourselves as to whether or not to switch to key cards. We decided that keys were still sexier than cards and that we wanted to stay with them! I actually told that to our banker when he asked why we didn't go to cards and he looked at me like I was crazy. Smithfield Station is not just an ordinary hotel though and we really did feel that keys were a bit nostalgic and could be appreciated. You are right; the Lodge is worth the extra money. Our Parkview rooms are nice and updated, but the Lodge has all the amenities we could ever consider putting in a room after 25 years in business. We hope to see you again soon.

Randy Pack

Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Smithfield
Kingsmill Resort
Kingsmill Resort
#7 of 73 in Williamsburg
The Smithfield Inn Bed and Breakfast, Restaurant and Tavern

Been to Smithfield Station? Share your experiences!