Smithfield Station
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Colonial Courts Motel(Newport News)
Midtown Motel(Newport News)
View Hotel
Key West Inn(Newport News)
View Hotel
All reviewspagan riversmithfield hamwindsor castle parkchocolate covered strawberriesbalcony overlookingcrab cakeselectric fireplacemurphy bedlodge roomsbottle of champagnejetted tubquaint townlight houselarge bathroomattached restaurantwater viewwalk in shower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This was the first stop that was part of his "birthday week-end staycation." We used the Travelzoo special (King room, champagne, chocolate covered strawberries). It was very much worth it. The hotel housekeeping staff were very professional and friendly. Being an environmental professional, I love the fact that the hotel has made great strides in being environmentally conscious. The location and atmosphere in great. Accommodations were nice, the room was large. I loved the large bathroom with the walk-in shower. Definitely not designed like the normal "hotel chain" bath. Two people could function in the bath at the same time. The linen was very luxurious and top of the line. I was not afraid to sleep on the sheets..... they had that "fresh out of the dryer" smell and feel. The toiletries were Bath and Body Works. We ate lunch in the bar. I did not feel like I had to cut my foot off when I mistakenly walked on the carpet without my slippers. The carpets were really clean. The food was good and the bartender told us about happy hour. Of course we went back to partake in happy hour libations. I wish there were more Northern VA happy hours like this one. Good food, inexpensive but great drinks, and great ambience. The owner was there and very friendly and engaging. The breakfast was an added plus. I loved the ham biscuits! The cereal and breakfast bars were Kashi. I definitely recommend this hotel. Only a short 2.5 hours from DC area and close to so many Tidewater attractions. We are coming back in the Fall (I am craving that country ham).

Room Tip: Get a room with a private balcony facing the waer. Beautiful sunrises and sunsets.
1  Thank trvln_d_wrld
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Thanks for the review trvln_d_world! Did you also know we are a certified green hotel and restaurant by Virginia Green and recently won the Governors Award for Environmental Excellence? We pay attention to the environment that affords us our great views and natural beauty. While we don't advertise it often, we feel it is something we just SHOULD do. Thanks for noticing and for your kind words. We appreciate it. Look forward to seeing you this fall.

Yours in Hospitlaity,

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Resort –

We booked the 2 night Travelzoo special, which included a Lodge King room, champagne, chocolate covered strawberries (3) and a gift card credit ($40) to the Smithfield Station restaurant. The front desk personnel were very nice and accommodating to our needs and our change in room requests. We ended up staying in the Junior King Suite - Room 3323 at the end of the hall – an extra large room that does not have a balcony; it does have plenty of windows though – it has 4 windows in the main part of the room and another two windows in the bathroom. You have a lovely view the Pagan river and the parking lot/main road/ and wetland nature area out front. There is a flat screen TV; free wifi; fireplace; king size bed with upgraded linens; two nice large cushioned chairs in the sitting area and a desk and chair in the room also. The bathroom was very large with a little sitting area in the corner; there was a nice large tiled walk-in shower; marble vanity with one sink; and some nice bath and body works soap/shampoo/conditioner. There was a safe and mini-fridge in the room also. We quickly viewed one of the pool side cottages – I was very happy that we were staying in the main lodge instead.

Complementary Breakfast – Smithfield Station offered a complementary Breakfast with our package. The Breakfast is set up in the Smithfield Station restaurant, and consists of the following; mini ham biscuits; waffles; eggs; delicious bacon; yogurt; fruit; bagels; toast; cereal; Danishes; juices; coffee; tea; and milk. Suggestion: inclusion of some peanut butter and more gluten free options would be wonderful.

Resort Shops – The shops at the resort seem to be struggling a bit. Hopefully, more shops will occupy the space in the near future. There were a couple of shops that we ventured into which were very nice; Victoria Rose and Sir Cakes A Lot.
Victoria Rose was a large shop with an array of interesting items; I purchased a beautiful silver cuff bracelet with a crystal studded starfish on it for $19; very nice lady runs the shop. Sir Cakes A Lot – the young lad at the counter was a gem…he was very sweet and took time and effort to explain the luscious baked goods before me in yummy detail – chocolate chip cookies made with 5 kinds of chips; bacon topped chocolate chip cookies and chocolate chip cookies with 5 kinds of nuts baked in the same cookie…and cupcakes…and ice cream! Don’t bypass either one of these shops! I just wish the shops stayed open till 9pm for guests to browse through after dinner and to grab those cookies and ice cream for dessert!

Pool - Pool was nice and clean and the water was warm on the first day and a bit cooler on the second day. We had the pool to ourselves practically for two days. There were lounge chairs and table/chair combos at the pool. There is a tent for some shade to get out of the sun. There are no electric outlets for electronics and no pool towels.

There weren’t many boats coming and going during the two mid-week days that we were there. We didn't see that many people at the resort, even though the lodge balcony rooms were all booked. We ventured into town to look around and we strolled through the local Dollar Store; Dollar General Store and Family Dollar store.

Restaurants:
Anna's Italian Restaurant –
For lunch the first day in town, I got the steak and cheese sub (only one size offered - large - which amounted to about a 12 inch sub) and it did not come with any fries or chips $7.50; my husband ordered a side salad (aprox $5) and onion rings ($3.95). The sub was not very good; looked like they used steak-um's and didn't even bother to cut the meat up when they cooked it; meat was laying on the bun in a solid flat slab; oil on the sandwich made the sandwich soggy; tomatoes were pitiful looking and lettuce not very appetizing either. My husband's salad was fine and the plate of onion rings was huge. We both had upset stomachs after eating here; not sure if it was the food or what.

Restaurant at Smithfield Station –
First night we just wanted a salad...something light. My husband ordered the chopped salad for $7.95 (mixed greens/avocado/bacon/tomatoes/ cheese/vinaigrette dressing) and I got the Wedge salad for &7.95 (iceberg wedge/tomato/bacon/blue cheese crumbles/balsamic vinegar/blue cheese dressing) and two nice refreshing glasses of water. The waitress brought us a nice mini-loaf of bread while we waited (very good and warm). The salads were large enough for a meal for each of us. If you order one as larger salads as a side salad to a meal, you’d better be prepared to split it between two people! Service was friendly and prompt. Restaurant was very clean.
The second night, we had a drink at the adjacent pub during happy hour (4pm-7pm) - $3.00 rail drinks and $3.50 large draft beer. I had a cranberry and vodka rail drink, and unfortunately, it must have been made with the cheapest vodka possible. After sitting outside with our drinks for a while, we went in to the restaurant and spent our gift card that came with our Travelzoo package. My husband got the broiled seafood platter ($26) - he said that it was plentiful and the shrimp was very fresh - the platter included fish, shrimp, scallops, a crab cake, green beans and coleslaw. I had the Chicken Isle of Wight ($26), which was a boneless chicken breast with Smithfield ham and peanuts rolled in the center, lightly coated and fried and then covered with a cream sauce; it was served on a bed of wild rice and came with green beans. The portion was huge. Don't bother with the side salad ($3.75 add on); it wasn't that good (some of the lettuce was wilted and brown) and the meal itself was more than enough food.

Taste of Smithfield – A visit to Smithfield is not complete until you have a meal at Taste of Smithfield Restaurant downtown. For lunch, my husband had the barbecue salad – a good mound of your choice of barbecue over mixed greens, with your choice of dressing ($8); he said it was very good and of adequate proportion. I had the Smithfield Lunch platter, which consisted of soup of the day (potato w/ sausage), a Smithfield ham biscuit a scoop of chicken salad, pickle, and a few crunchy pita crisps. It was delicious. The soup was very good with a smoky taste; the chicken salad was made with all white meat chicken and had a little bit of onion and dill in it. The ham biscuit was made with a soft crumbly homemade biscuit and a slice of salt ham. I have heard some people complain that at various places there wasn’t much ham on the biscuits around this area. Please realize that you are being served COUNTRY SALT ham in most instances, and the proper amount on a biscuit is a few slivers of ham…because of the salt content! It is a proper serving of Va. Salt ham!

Downtown shops:

You can take a nice leisurely walk from Smithfield Station to downtown historic Smithfield; it is just a few blocks away. You will walk past many interesting and beautiful historic houses – it is worth taking a stroll rather than just driving down the few blocks!

Paisley Pig – Wonderful consignment shop where the price tag on a wide array of items will list progressively lower prices depending how long the item has been in the shop. Many nice things to see in here.

Christmas Shop – Lovely shop chock full of Christmas trees, ornaments and whatnots! They offered patrons free water and tea. Very nice people run the shop. They were also offering free tick removal kits while we were there…may sound weird, but it is actually a very useful product!

Gimme Shelter Thrift Store – at the very end of the street where all the shops are was what looked to be a second-hand yard sale type thrift store. My husband ventured down there; I wouldn’t have been tempted to go in otherwise. Boy, was I wrong. All items are donated for sale and 100% of the proceeds go towards the care of the local homeless animals! Look around and find something to buy! I bought a little antique mirror and an artsy clay rooster! Please support those homeless animals!

You can do everything there is to do in Smithfield in one day unfortunately. We ran out of things to do...but we are the type of people who like to stay on the go. I hear that a vineyard is being established over at the Windsor Castle property (across the street from Smithfield Station). A winery there will certainly bring more business and tourism to this fine little town and the fine Smithfield Station Resort!

4  Thank Valorie E

Thank you so much for such a thorough review of our town and our facility. Gluten Free items on breakfast noted, it’s always nice to hear what our guests would like more of. While Smithfield isn't a huge town by any means we are quite proud of its quaintness and everyone is excited to see the winery become a part of Smithfield. We also realize that much of town can be seen in a day, but if you explore a bit more regionally you will find great farms to visit, Williamsburg/Jamestown attractions, Norfolk’s bountiful amenities and only an hour to the ocean front of Va Beach. There is a little bit for everyone here! Thanks again and we look forward to a return visit!

Reviewed 26 July 2013

I received a coupon from Groupon to stay at Smithfield Station. The special came with chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. So my Birthday was July 25th and I thought what better place to stay for my Birthday. We had never had a room with the jacuzzi and it was wonderful. The rooms are very large, the beds are very comfortable and the view from our room was great. I didn't know they had breakfast with the room. Sue was wonderful and does a great job with the breakfast area. The food was so good.

Room Tip: Room 2205 has a great water view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for making Smithfield Station a part of your birthday plans! I am delighted to hear you enjoyed yourself and we welcome you any time.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 26 July 2013

This hotel was the best I have stayed at in a long time, quite, clean, great views, and great staff! Then to top it off the restaurant has great food, go figure. Each morning they give a continental breakfast, but not just any breakfast. Made to order omelets or scrambled eggs and maybe more, all you want. The bathroom in the room was big, wish it was mine at home. The only thing that would have made it better would have been robes but hey, the balcony was great without them. Location is also great, not far from Jamestown or Williamsburg. Downtown Smithfield is a nice time also, The Smithfield ham shop is a must. Would stay there again and again!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Interesting to see a visitor from Moncks Corner, SC. I was just in Moncks Corner fishing Lake Maltrain (sp?) with a good friend this spring. Anyhow, I am glad we could accommodate you in our neck of the woods this time! Robes have been discussed in the past and are available in a couple of our rooms including the Lighthouse and Junior Suite. We just haven't made the investment to bring in to all the others just yet. And yes, you are welcome to live here!

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Our room was very clean and spacious. It had a balcony with a nice view of the river and marina. There was enough room for 2 chairs and a table to relax and read. The table had a broken leg and our drinks kept sliding off! However, we didn't notify anyone until we checked out, so there wasn't an opportunity to fix it. The bathroom was also large and had Bath and Bodyworks products. We were happy that we had a separate waste basket for recyclables. Overall, we were very impressed and satisfied with our room. The only negative thing was that there was a lingering citrus/lysol smell in the room. It must have been from the cleaning products used, but didn't dissipate over the course of our stay. A suggestion: add additional space to lock up bikes other than the one near the bridge to the park.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the review! Also a good idea for more bike racks... we are actually considering getting some bikes for our guests to use so accommodating a couple extra bikes should be very easy. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back with a few more bike racks ;)