“Excellent Family Retreat”

GreenLeadersGold level
Charleston, South Carolina
“Excellent Family Retreat”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My wife and our daughter had the pleasure of staying at Smithfield Station and we will definitely be returning! Our room had a beautiful view of the water and sunsets, and the service was exceptional. The room was very clean and my wife is still talking about how comfortable the beds were. Easy walking distance to downtown and the Windsor Castle Park, a special thank you to the front desk for their recommendations. We also enjoyed eating at the restaurant. The Station Burger should be a requirement for every burger fan in the country. The food was delicious and the staff was very accommodating. It was one of our best trips yet.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
rpack76, Guest Relations Manager at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel and restaurant. It sounds like you and your family had a great time in Smithfield . We realize that Smithfield has a lot to offer and enjoy giving our guests suggestions on local "events "not to miss". We appreciate you staying with us and visiting our restaurant as well. We hope that you will come back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed 18 December 2013

My wife and I spent the weekend in Smithfield with a large group of people from all over. We all stayed here and had a wonderful experience. The staff was friendly and helpful and very accomendating to our large group, and the rooms were cozy, warm and inviting and the view from the room was beautiful. The resturant was wonderful and the staff at the bar (especially Pat) made you feel right at home. I highly recommend that anyone staying in the Smithfield area, make this your place to rest. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
PJCS3 - thank you so much for the kind words about our facility and staff. Our staff always loves it when they are recognized by name in the reviews! We make sure they are recognized in front of their peers when this happens! My family appreciates your kind words about our business we are all so passionate about. Thank you again.

Macon, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We returned again to our favorite short-term getaway at Smithfield Station. Once again, we had a King Jacuzzi room with balcony(too cold to use this time). As always, a friendly greeting, a spotless room,as is the rest of the property. Ate breakfast each day, and lunch one day and dinner the next at the Station's restaurant. Nothing but top-flight service, great food,generous portions,fair prices, and sitting by the windows with the water views are so enjoyable. Wife loves the Jacuzzi tub, and I like the big steamy shower. Wi-fi works fast, bed is so comfortable,and the rooms are large as is the bathroom, and every night it was very quiet to soundly sleep.This time,because of the outside temps, we used the fireplace both evenings for both warmth and added ambiance. As were leaving with our friends (their 3rd trip this year), we all agreed, 2014 would bring multiple return visits to our favorite getaway!

Room Tip: Love the marsh view rooms with a balcony!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kingfather - your reviews are always so kind. Thank you once again for saying such nice things. We look forward to seeing you again.

Thanks so much,
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I tried to leave this feedback for the proprietor using the request for feedback he sent me. I haven't heard back. That's not surprising: it was the service -- and the attitude -- that I found to be poor.

This was my third stay at Smithfield Station, and I had recommended it to friends. I'll be sharing my latest experience with them, too.

We checked in Friday night, and everything was okay. Saturday morning we left our room at 8:15 a.m. and returned at 4:30 p.m. I was very disappointed to see that the room had not been serviced during the 8 hours (plus) that we were away. When my husband called the desk to find out what had happened, the woman at the desk told him that they serviced every room unless the "Do not disturb" tag was left on the door. Furthermore, she told him that the housekeeper would be leaving at 6:30, so we'd need to vacate the room by 6 if we wanted it cleaned.

Let's see, we never moved the "Do not disturb" tag from inside the door. Never touched it. I'm also of the opinion that the customer should come first. Or, more specifically, I believe that the proper response to a customer complaint -- especially a valid one -- is "We are so sorry." Then the two parties (the customer and the service provider) should work together to figure out how to make things right.

In this case, a response of "I'm so sorry we missed your room. When should we plan to service it?" or "I'm sorry for our mistake. Would you like us to come service it now?" or "I apologize for the oversight. Can I offer you a cocktail at the bar so you can relax while we service your room?"

Yes, there is a theme there: the service provide apologizes first thing. The only apology we ever received was from the night housekeeper (thank you, Diane) who left us a handwritten note of apology. She understands customer service.

Apparently, the owner does not understand customer service very well, either. I am disappointed that the feedback I left on the form he asked me to use has not be received. I have heard nothing from him.

We attend an annual event at Nike Carrollton Park near Smithfield, and I was thrilled to have found the property three years ago. I recommended it to friends who attend the same event. I guess I will have to look for another place to stay next year.

The property is nice, but the service is sorely lacking.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SCW55
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Good afternoon SCW55,

I appreciate your review but respectfully disagree with your version of the story. While we certainly did miss your room, which I very much am sorry for, the first thing we did is apologize and offer to come clean it right then when your husband called down. He declined and we asked when you would be going to dinner as we could clean it then as not to disturb you. Your husband then agreed. After he hung up, you called right back down and laid in to my front desk about our mistake. The only reason I know this is my front desk agent called me very upset about the turn of events. We rarely miss rooms and when we do, we feel terrible about it. We were able to clean your room while we were at dinner. I have received no notes from you asking for a call or making me aware of the incident at all until I saw this public review.

We pride ourselves on our guest services here at our facility. While what you experienced was an anomaly, I am afraid that it does happen from time to time inevitably and I deeply apologize that it happened to you. The majority of our reviews are positive and actually speak of the friendliness of our staff. I am more than happy to discuss the situation with you and work together to make amends. I can be reached here at the property most days, and if I am not available please leave a message and I will return your call. Thanks for the review and I hope to hear from you soon.

Yours in Hospitality,
Warrenton, Virginia
Reviewed 6 November 2013

What a beautiful little town. Gorgeous Victorian homes, fun little shops, and the people were so very friendly. We had a Groupon for our overnight stay at Smithfield Station and the room was so nice. We had a large room with a king bed, a fireplace, refrigerator, balcony overlooking the water, a beautiful bathroom with tile work and a large walk-in shower. The deal came with a bottle of champagne (I'm not a big fan of champagne but this was actually quite good) and chocolate covered strawberries (which I am a fan of :) and included breakfast, so was a fantastic deal. We had beautiful weather so we walked all around town and also hit most of the local attractions close to Smithfield. We ate dinner at the restaurant at Smithfield Station, the food was good, a little on the pricey side, but not outlandish. The restaurant overlooks the water, so the view was nice. We enjoyed Smithfield so much that a couple weeks later we joined my brother and sister-in-law from Colorado who were vacationing in Williamsburg and we took them to Smithfield via the Jamestown ferry (BTW it was free). Smithfield is about an hour from Williamsburg (not including waiting for the ferry). Would definitely recommend Smithfield Station and the town of Smithfield. Of course, it is known for Smithfield ham, so it was fun to find all the pig statuaries that were painted with designs by different local artist. (Get a brochure at the visitors center for a walking tour and pig locations! Almost all attractions are free which is an added plus, so stop in the museum and probably the court house (which was closed on the days we were there).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you so much for the review. I think you are the first to comment on the porcine pig parade but it definitely is a neat idea to get you around town! We are glad to host you and welcome you back anytime.

Thanks again,
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stay at least once a year. Love this place, especially the restaurant and bar (yay Pat!) but I do wish the owners would train the front desk people to smile and act happy to be there. We've always encountered less than friendly folks at the check-in desk. We look so forward to being there but then the front desk folks are such Debbie Downers. Everything else is perfection!! House keeping staff are so cute and personable. Maybe they could give a few tips to front desk folks?

Room Tip: 3rd floor in the lodge
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Point well taken! We are always pleased to have you and welcome you back. A little pep in the step of our front desk agents may be just what we need! Wait until you meet Donna though, she is so happy you can't help but smile. We look forward to seeing you back again - this time with a BIG FAT SMILE ;)

Thanks again,
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We went down for just an overnite get away. It was better than we expected!!! We fell in love with the location and our room. We stayed in the lodge. The room was spacious and nicely decorated. Being able to set out on the balcony and listening to the rain was wonderful. The food was great. My other half said the creme brûlée is what made the meal. Can not say one bad thing about our trip. As a matter of fact we are thinking about coming back down at the end of the month for a whole weekend! Thanks for a wonderful relaxing get away it just wasn't long enough!

• Stayed October 2013
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you so much vadispatcher! That was an absolutely terrific review of our property and it sounds like you made the best of a rainy weekend! Our crème brule is made with white chocolate and is one of our specialties.... thanks for taking note. We look forward to seeing you guys again soon.

Yours in Hospitality,
Randy Pack
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Smithfield
Hampton Inn Suffolk
Hampton Inn Suffolk
#1 of 12 in Suffolk
Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg

Been to Smithfield Station? Share your experiences!