Smithfield Station
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Smithfield
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Beautiful corner room: chocolate covered strawberries with white chocolate little kisses and either champagne or we requested a bottle of apple cider. Romantic weekend with a huge comfortable bed with lots of pillows. Nice fireplace and balcony overlooking the water. The room was clean and very nice: refrig and safe. The only negative when we returned to the room our door was left open and unlocked. Besides that one event we got a great Groupon deal and it was a wonderful weekend at a very nice hotel. Highly recommend. There is an inground swimming pool on site which would be nice in the summer.

Room Tip: Corner room top level
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
rpack76, Guest Relations Manager at Smithfield Station, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you so much for your review of our property. I appears that you had a wonderful time relaxing and enjoying our view of the river. Thank you for calling attention to your door being left ajar and I will share this information with our housekeeping team. We appreciate you visiting with us and hope you will comeback again soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

My wife and I took a weekend trip to Smithfied Station the weekend of March 22nd. Everything was fine with the room, large and comfortable. The town is a fun place to checkout if you have never been there before, great shops and places to browse. There is something satisfying eating a sweet potato ham biscuit at the Smithfield Inn knowing that they are slathering thousands of swine in the processing plant just a mile or so away.

Anyway my big “Back to the Future” moment happened when we checked in. After going through the normal process the receptionist handed us a hard metal key. Really? Is this the only hotel built in the past 30 years without a secured access control card system? Not only that, but the key had a tag with the room number stamped right on it. Better make sure you don’t drop that in the parking lot.

The more I thought about this the more it bothered me. This is the same key handed out to 100’s of guests for this room every year. What if just one of those guests happens to keep the key or, better yet, makes a copy and then drops in later on an unsuspecting guest when they are away (or not away)?

You might say this is quaint system, harking to the past, however I think it is really somewhat risky and it made me apprehensive. OK, it would not keep me from staying there but if I was a single woman I might think twice.

So if you do decide to book I would keep my valuables in the car when you were away and make sure to use the slide bolt on the door when you go to sleep.

Oh and the water view is great and peaceful. You can also see the factory in the distance and in the quite of the night... what is that sound?... could it be the cries of the pigs as they hit that point in the beginning of the line in the factory?

Sweet dreams.

2  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Took my husband here to celebrate his birthday. Lovely, peacful hotel. Rooms are nicely appointed with large king size, comfortable bed, working fireplace, small balcony facing the water, empty fridge (our had champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries - not sure if they do this for all guests or because it was hubby's birthday), huge bathroom (lucious towels!), coffee machine and Direct TV. We also ate their restaurant - fabulous dinner. Continental breakfast was expected. My only complaint was that this lovely hotel that had thought of many luxury amenities, only offered powered creamer for coffee - why not real milk? After I completed their online survey, the owner contacted me and said they appreciated my comment about the powered creamer - so kudos to Smithfield Station for listening to their clients!!

There is a tiny fitness center with 1 treadmill, 1 eliptical, and 1 bike.

There are 3 nicely appointed sitting areas, one on each floor ... and a mircowave on the 2nd floor (nice touch).

Tiny Smithfield's Main Street is only a few blocks away. Walk the street and support charming local businesses.

Highly recommended.

2  Thank LittleDolores

Thank you for your reviews of our property. We are delighted that you chose us to celebrate your husband's birthday. We love celebrations and we are happy that he enjoyed our chocolate covered strawberries as a birthday treat. We hope you will return soon... perhaps to celebrate again. Thank You.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We came back again to relax, enjoy the view, the relaxation, the park across the street and marsh, the restaurant, the deck outside our room, the comfortable bed, the strawberries and champagne,the huge bathroom and jacuzzi tub and big walk-in shower, the cleanliness,and friendliness, and on and on. This is our favorite getaway. We live on Lake Gaston,so the water is not the pull it is for others,because we wake to that sight each day. It's the whole package of the Inn, the bar and restaurant, the marina, the balcony and marsh, it just makes this an ideal place to get away and experience a change---if only for a few days.And, it's done so well here by the Pack family---you'll want to return often too.

Room Tip: Love the rooms with a balcony to sit and enjoy the marina and marsh.
2  Thank kingfather

Thank You... Thank You... Thank you for your wonderful comments about our property. You just about covered it all. We do have a peaceful and relaxing property and we are so glad that you choose to spend your time with us. You are always welcome and we hope to see you again very soon

Reviewed 11 March 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Smithfield Station and our experience was very pleasant. The staff was very friendly, our room was very clean, and the view of the river from our balcony was beautiful. The chocolate covered strawberries that were provided by the Station were very delicious. The food at the Station restaurant is very good and the staff very pleasant. I highly recommended staying at the Smithfield Station when visiting Smithfield Virginia.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. Our staff is dedicated to making you feel at home. It is wonderful to get feedback from our guests letting us know that we succeeded in making your stay perfect. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We were so very pleased with our room, the service, the food, the location, the view everything was just wonderful and I highly recommend Smithfield Station. They have a quaint little town to walk thorugh and if you ahve extra time The Williamsburg Winery is a short ferry ride away and even Virginia Beach is only an hour so it makes for a nice day trip. Don't be afraid to go in the off season-we went in January and had a grand time.

Room Tip: We had room 2919, it had wonderful decor and furnishings with a balcony that overlooked the marina a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NanaToGage

Sounds like you had a great time. We thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. It is great to know that you enjoyed your journeys around town and beyond. Our convenient location allows for exploring many other areas. We thank you for your visit and appreciate your kind comments about our hotel and restaurant..

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Fun-loving, hard working, family oriented folks that have a passion for hospitality. That’s how I would describe the Pack family and their staff at Smithfield Station. You cannot fake passion and you can’t fake caring. These folks are the genuine article and I am so glad I chose this hotel for my first vacation in years.

The staff was amazing and made me feel right at home all four nights I stayed there. I suppose I could have gone elsewhere to hang out, have dinner and grab drinks each night but I didn’t see the point since the hotel had a great bar/restaurant on site and everyone was so friendly. I’d like to throw a special shout-out to Pat, Captain Ron, Randy, Brian and Sue! They all took great care of me and I couldn’t have had a better time!! I ate dinner at the hotel’s restaurant each night and tried about a dozen things throughout the week. I was always impressed, from the flounder to eh mac’n’cheese dinner it was all amazing. The hotel provides breakfast each morning and I can describe it as…”Expanded Continental?” It’s your regular complimentary continental breakfast but Sue is there every morning to handcraft omelets, pancakes and/or waffles. Very Good way to start the day.

My room was immaculate upon arrival and the housekeeping staff did a great job cleaning it each day. It came with a spacious balcony that included chairs and a view overlooking the marina and river. While it was cold (January), I couldn’t resist walking out onto my balcony each morning to watch the sun rise. I’ve included a picture of the view from my room. The bed was incredibly comfortable and I was asleep almost immediately after laying down each night. The flat screen TV was huge and had more channels (DirecTV) than I’ve ever had in a hotel. I only channel surfed at night before bedtime but enjoyed the options.

I learned about BOB Fest after I arrived and was fortunate enough to snag one of the few remaining tickets. I had no idea what to expect but it was SO much fun! They had a band called the Deloreans that did 80’s covers and they were INTO IT y’all! I think it was supposed to be a food festival that turned into a music festival and I can’t say enough good things. From the Bloody Mary’s to the Oysters, BBQ, Brunswick Stew and Beer, it had everything a good festival needs. It was clearly well thought out, planned and executed (which I can’t say about every first-time festival I’ve attended).

Again, thank you to everyone at Smithfield Station for making my much-needed break a memorable one and I look forward to seeing y’all the next time I’m in the area!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Smithfield
Williamsburg Lodge, Autograph Collection
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa
17 mi away
Hilton Garden Inn Suffolk Riverfront

Been to Smithfield Station? Share your experiences!