“Nothing he could do...”

GreenLeadersGold level
Trenton, New Jersey
“Nothing he could do...”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I reserved the lighthouse suite for my family as my loves lighthouses. I called and made the reservation and received an e-mail confirmation. 3 days prior to our departure I received a phone call from the VP of Smithfield Station. Mr. VP advised me that my reservation actually did not exist despite my speaking to the reservations desk and my confirmation number and e-mail. He said that he was sorry but there were no other rooms available either. He stated that there was nothing he could do. Several time he told me that there was 'nothing that he could do'. Nothing. Seriously nothing. He suggested that I try the Hampton Inn. Thank goodness it wasn't my wedding.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Good evening Jennifer A, thanks for your review on Trip Advisor. What you have stated above is basically true. However, you forgot to mention my most sincere apologies as not only am I the VP, but I am one of the owners in this family owned and run establishment. It is always our desire that no one leaves here anything less than delighted. It is true that there was no place I could put you that evening as we were booked. I admitted that we made a mistake and that unfortunately mistakes sometimes happen. I also offered the lighthouse to you at no charge the next time that you visited this way. This offer still stands. Once again, not only do I understand your disappointment, but I truly am sorry for the mix-up on our part. I take 100% blame for it. I hope that you find an opportunity to visit Smithfield and Smithfield Station where I believe that you will see our Genuine Southern Small Town charm and beautiful community will make this error right.

I wish you my best,
Randy Pack
Vice President
Smithfield Station

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

very clean and great views , so close to town . very friendly , very helpful , breakfast was good but no bacon at Smithfield ???? we really enjoyed it by boat . small town but very pretty and fun weekend . should be on a bucket list

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
rpack76, Guest Relations Manager at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
We do appreciate your feedback on your Smithfield Station experience. Coming by boat is such a great way to enjoy our property. We love our boaters and we are delighted you had a great time staying in the Marina. Thank you for adding us to your bucket list. Please come again soon
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The secret is to get a room with a balcony overlooking the marina and water. We spent several hours in the afternoon and next morning reading books and newspapers while enjoying sights of waterfowl and the occasional recreation boater.

The room was large, clean and comfortable. It was also very quiet during the night. We were pleasantly surprised that the "expanded continental breakfast" noted on their website actually included cooked to order eggs and omelets made with the famous Smithfield pork products.

Lastly, the new walking bridge to Windsor Castle Park that is across the street from the inn is a very popular destination and a wonderful place for a morning hike.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
thank you so much for your great review. Your stay with us sounds like it was relaxing and just perfect. We do like to think that our balconies are designed for just sitting and enjoying the peace and quiet. We do appreciate feed back from our guests, it let's us know how we are doing. We are happy that you enjoyed our breakfast. We think it is just what our guests would enjoy and we do get a lot of great feedback on it. Thank you for staying with us and we surely hope you will return to our quaint and quiet little town soon.
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The room was wonderful, clean and very roomy. The view of the river and a gorgeous sunset were so very relaxing. The staff was very friendly and helpful in every way. The breakfast was one of the best we ever had. We will stay there again!

Room Tip: The balcony room we had was the best. Wonderful view and soooo relaxing
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
rpack76, Guest Relations Manager at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review of our property. We are delighted that you enjoyed your room and our "expanded breakfast" We so appreciate our guests commenting on their stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us. Please do come again soon. Thank you for taking the time to share your guest experience ..
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My fiance` and I spent 3 wonderful nights at the Smithfield Station. This is definitely a one-of-a-kind boutique property. We were fortunate enough to stay in both the Captain Todd and the Captain Sinclair Lighthouse suites. They were both absolutely gorgeous. The attention given to the smallest details show that the Pack family takes great pride in what they have accomplished at The Station.

As a someone with 16 years in the hotel business myself, I am extremely picky and tend to over scrutinize hotel rooms. These rooms were extremely clean and well appointed. (yes, I ran my finger over the tops of picture frames etc. looking for dust bunnies - there were none)The linens on the beds were high thread count and a nice quality. The towels for the bathrooms were large, thick and super soft. Even the King size murphy-bed in the lower lighthouse suite was comfortable and kind to my back. I had the chance to speak to a few of the employees while there and they were very kind and helpful. The only negative I can mention is that parking can sometimes be a bit hectic, especially during the evening dinner hours. They have an award winning restaurant on-site (must try the crabcakes!) so the parking area closest to the main entrance fills up for a few hours, but they do have an overflow lot just across the street. Just park over there and then once the dinner rush is over you can move your vehicle closer to your room if you desire.

All in all, if you are looking for a unique and romantic experience, then the Smithfield Station is the perfect choice. Luxurious accommodations on the scenic Pagan River nestled amongst the historic mansions of Colonial Smithfield Virginia; This is where memories begin!

Kind regards
T.Spencer

Room Tip: Stay in either of the Lighthouse suites for more privacy and a one of a kind experience.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
rpack76, Guest Relations Manager at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for your glowing comments about our property. We do so appreciate guests that realize our attention to the details. Our Lighthouse Suites are very unique and we love to get feedback on guests stay. It sounds like you had a great time and we do so hope you will come back soon and enjoy our hotel and restaurant. Once again Thank You so much for your kind review.
Gloucester, Virginia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have NEVER written a review before, however our experience is worth my time to do so!

Our only complaint is we weren't there long enough! A beautiful place right on the water, with tastefully decorated accommodations! We arrived at approx. 8pm on a Friday and due to a family emergency we had to depart at 5am Saturday morning and missed the Smithfield ham and rolls for breakfast (we were very much looking forward to that)! At 8:30pm we were seated at the restaurant (get reservations, especially in the summer months) which too was beautifully decorated, and very laid back/comfortable! We both ordered a bowl of the crab soup and the seafood platter. The crab soup was delicious, however we should have either ordered just a cup, or the half portion of the platter.....large portions, which I'm NOT complaining about! I have eaten crab cakes all around the world, and NEVER have I found one tastes as amazing as the one at Smithfield Station! All of the seafood was fresh tasting, cooked to perfection and like I previously stated, an abundant amount of food! My best friend order the Pussers PainKiller, which reminded me of years ago sitting on Pusser's Porch in the Bahamas....delicious!

We stayed in the Marina Cottage. I was a little leery of the queen bed, but reserved it for the "cottage" experience, it was PERFECT! The cottage was quint, beautifully decorated and quite large! The bathroom even had a jetted tub. You walk right out and within steps are at the dock or a few more steps you are at the pool! The owners are sitting on a gorgeous stretch of waterfront property and their attention to detail proves they are treating this gem as a true gift. The dock is well lit at night which provided us a sense of security as we walked the span of the long dock.

Living directly on the Chesapeake Bay we often times take for granted the beauty of where we live. Smithfield Station and the beautiful serene reminded me just how thankful we are to live in such a wonderful place. I would recommend Smithfield Station to all....no matter the gender, race, individual, couples, families, etc.... You can get lost in the picturesque views!

I have NEVER written a review for any other establishment before in my life! Due to numerous neck surgeries for me and back surgeries for my bestfriend, we have to be selective in the types of hotels chosen to insure comfy beds. We both typically stay in 4-5 star locations, which 5star is what Smithfield Station is to us!

Thank you Smithfield Station for your hospitality and our comfortable night stay! We only wish we didn't have to depart so many hours in advance and had to miss the morning and daytime amenities!!!!

Green Features: Everyone we encountered was courteous and went out of their way to provide exceptional service!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
rpack76, Guest Relations Manager at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel and restaurant. For someone who has never written a review before I must say it was just about PERFECT!!! We do so enjoy feedback form our guests. I think from your review that we impressed you and we are so delighted that you enjoyed your brief stay with us. Sorry you did not get to stay longer but of course you are welcome back anytime. I am glad you found the Marina Cottage to be as comfortable as you described. We designed it to be a "different" hotel experience. Thank you for your kind words about our property. We do treasure our waterfront and it was nice of you comment about it. Once again we appreciate your kind review and please come back again soon. We will have those Smithfield Ham rolls waiting for you.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I would highly recommend Smithfield Station and can't wait to return. The view from our corner room was spectacular with a cross breeze and a fantastic view of the marina and beautiful Pagan River. The staff was unbelievable, the food delectable and the accommodations were perfect. We happened to visit during a town celebration and raft race which was like a reunion for the town. We had no idea of the history of Smithfield, so that demands a return visit. Thank you to the Pack family and your wonderful "second" family!

Room Tip: We stayed in the original building which has no elevator which we knew ahead of time, so we packed l...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much KathyR for your wonderful review of our hotel and restaurant. You surely did pick a great weekend to join us. Our town looks forward to Olden Days every year and it sounds like you enjoyed all the festivities. . We are so glad you did. Please do come back to see us and explore the town and all it has to offer soon We look forward to seeing you again and appreciate your kind comments about your stay with us. .
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Smithfield
Kingsmill Resort
Kingsmill Resort
#7 of 74 in Williamsburg
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,555 reviews

Been to Smithfield Station? Share your experiences!